• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Are the Options for Trump Voters Who Don't Feel Listened to by the Democratic Party?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
A recent thread I made where I asked Trump voters/supporters why they supported him has led me to the conclusion that some Trump supporters plan to vote for him because nobody has addressed their most pressing, everyday concerns such as finances, employment, etc.

So my question is this: Even if a Trump supporter is mistaken in the perception that Trump is going to address their concerns, what is the alternative? Realistically, the Democratic Party is the only other option, and a Trump supporter isn't going to vote for them if they feel their everyday concerns aren't going to be addressed.

I'm not talking about the white supremacists or gun-toting extremists who support Trump for clearly malicious reasons. I'm talking about the subset of his supporters who are average Joes/Janes with middle- or working-class jobs and are concerned about how they're going to pay their bills next month because, as far as they can see, Democrats won't make things any better for their situation.

I would like this thread to be an opportunity to see more perspectives because discussions about Trump often seem focused on the most morally bankrupt portion of his base. This one focuses on a different portion thereof, so hopefully it could help me gain a better and more realistic understanding of how other politicians could best address their concerns and perhaps win their votes.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Can I rally some support for Trump supporters in this thread even if I'm a Democrat?

While I disagree with Trump and won't vote for him, I do see Biden as acting a little fake and trying to appeal to the activists out there despite him being a conservative, establishment Democrat who probably doesn't really understand complex social issues well.

While I don't think Trump understands complex issues any better, I do see him as being more "what you see, is what you get" in personality and speech.

And that alone could win a few votes. Before we even talk other subjects.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Can I rally some support for Trump supporters in this thread even if I'm a Democrat?

You can, but that's not my goal for this thread. I'm simply trying to see what people think any given politician can do to attract the Trump voters I mentioned instead of dismissing every single one of them or believing his tens of millions of voters all think alike.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
You can, but that's not my goal for this thread. I'm simply trying to see what people think any given politician can do to attract the Trump voters I mentioned instead of dismissing every single one of them or believing his tens of millions of voters all think alike.

Okay. I mentioned something about it in my above post, even if what I was saying was more subtle and not outright saying that Biden wasn't the best choice in my opinion.

joe1776

A recent thread I made where I asked Trump voters/supporters why they supported him has led me to the conclusion that some Trump supporters plan to vote for him because nobody has addressed their most pressing, everyday concerns such as finances, employment, etc.

So my question is this: Even if a Trump supporter is mistaken in the perception that Trump is going to address their concerns, what is the alternative? Realistically, the Democratic Party is the only other option, and a Trump supporter isn't going to vote for them if they feel their everyday concerns aren't going to be addressed.

I'm not talking about the white supremacists or gun-toting extremists who support Trump for clearly malicious reasons. I'm talking about the subset of his supporters who are average Joes/Janes with middle- or working-class jobs and are concerned about how they're going to pay their bills next month because, as far as they can see, Democrats won't make things any better for their situation.

I would like this thread to be an opportunity to see more perspectives because discussions about Trump often seem focused on the most morally bankrupt portion of his base. This one focuses on a different portion thereof, so hopefully it could help me gain a better and more realistic understanding of how other politicians could best address their concerns and perhaps win their votes.
In 2016, I thought Trump was the choice of the disestablishment voters. They voted against Hilary because she was establishment to the core. They wanted change and took a flyer on Donald.

The Democrats are going to play that establishment card again with Biden but it will win this time because Biden is not Trump who failed gloriously in his job.

tytlyf

Not Religious
If someone doesn't think Democrats have middle-class policies, then they haven't done their research.
Democrats always put forth middle-class policies, while republicans put forth capitalist/corporate/1% policies.
Look at the contrast on middle-class policies below:

-Public Education = Democrat support = middle-class
-Minimum wage increase = Democrat support = middle-class
-Workers rights and protections = Democrat support = middle-class
-Health care for all = Democrat support = middle class
-Lower taxes on middle-class = Democrat support = middle-class
-Climate Change = Democrat support = middle-class
-Unions = Democrat support = middle-class
-Small Business = Democrat support = middle-class
-More safety laws (regulations) = Democrat support = middle-class
-Equal rights for all = Democrat support = middle-class
-etc

It goes on and on. Republicans do not support any of the above. Either people aren't doing their homework or are being mislead from the capitalist/elitist republicans with corporate interests only.

Republicans talk a big folksy game and jobs, etc. I can look at data and understand republicans do absolutely nothing for the middle-class. By design.

When people realize that the republican corporate establishment is only using them for their vote, them maybe things will change. Once you elect a republican, expect to be ignored after the politics and emotional trickery.

Last edited:

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

Slayer, your question is asking for too much. For simplification, there are two sides of the political spectrum; call it the Liberal and the Conservative. I don't feel one party can have both Liberals and Conservatives feeling like they are being listened to and supported by one party's policies.

Many Conservatives can feel Trump's embarrassing clownishness but the Republican Party is still their best vehicle for support of their views.

Listen to the strong liberals and the strong conservatives debate and ask how can one party make both sides feel they are being listened to and responded to? Can't be done.

Tambourine

I believe that the distillation of democracy into the meek and passive act of voting for whichever candidate has been given to us by our oligarch overlords is a genuinely toxic element of our modern political culture. People should organize and either put pressure on existing candidates, or find new people to more closely represent their interests.

For a nation that prides itself on the freedom and independent mindedness of its population, Americans seem shockingly dependent on their political leaders, and worryingly apathetic when it comes to the faults of their political system.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Actually, this was a very even keeled OP! My congratulations for you!.

In addition, I think of what Biden has to offer.... and all I see is "I have a plan for you". It seems to follow his plan for the Pandemic, which is do what Trump is already doing. I don't see innovation or tip of the spear ideas, I see the same old--same old.

Let's go beyond the President, for a minute. At issue is also Court Justices (which I think is important). If another vacancy comes up... I would love another originalist and Constitutionalist and get back to what these Unites States is about.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

While I disagree with Trump and won't vote for him, I do see Biden as acting a little fake and trying to appeal to the activists out there despite him being a conservative, establishment Democrat who probably doesn't really understand complex social issues well.

While I don't think Trump understands complex issues any better, I do see him as being more "what you see, is what you get" in personality and speech.

And that alone could win a few votes. Before we even talk other subjects.

How do you feel about Harris?

Harris worries me more than Trump or Biden.

Daemon Sophic

If someone doesn't think Democrats have middle-class policies, then they haven't done their research.
Democrats always put forth middle-class policies, while republicans put forth capitalist/corporate/1% policies.

-etc

It goes on and on. Republicans do not support any of the above. Either people aren't doing their homework or are being mislead from the capitalist/elitist republicans with corporate interests only.

Republicans talk a big folksy game and jobs, etc. I can look at data and understand republicans do absolutely nothing for the middle-class. By design.

When people realize that the republican corporate establishment is only using them for their vote, them maybe things will change. Once you elect a republican, expect to be ignored after the politics and emotional trickery.
^^^. This. ^^^. @tytlyf is absolutely correct.

However, in answer to @Debater Slayer ‘s OP.....
It is really two-fold as to why they support Trump and Trump’s GOP.
@KenS ’s reply above answers half of it. They seem to cling to a notion that older/unchanging/unadapting is better. “It’s kept us alive this far” sort of mentality. Many Republican voters want the 1950’s (the good ‘ol days) to return and never leave again.

The other half is as @Debater Slayer insinuates and @tytlyf mentions directly. The Republican voters truly believe (erroneously) that any and all non-Conservatives will raise taxes beyond all reason solely upon the middle class, purely to heap hand-outs to the undeserving poor (who in turn would rather spit on America and rob your house, than work a day in their lives).
Many Republicans are further mistaken in believing that the liberals will march troops into their homes and take their guns away, while burning flags, and stripping the last bits of Christianity from our schools and culture; primarily out of malice.

No I am not joking. I wish I was, but I have had multiple in person conversations with righties (whether Trumpies or not), as well as online, with in depth discussions of what they believe.
They have, to a one, been hoodwinked. :( They truly believe what they have been told, and facts/history/the Constitution/etc... have no impact on these beliefs.

Kenny

Premium Member
^^^. This. ^^^. @tytlyf is absolutely correct.

However, in answer to @Debater Slayer ‘s OP.....
It is really two-fold as to why they support Trump and Trump’s GOP.
@KenS ’s reply above answers half of it. They seem to cling to a notion that older/unchanging/unadapting is better. “It’s kept us alive this far” sort of mentality. Many Republican voters want the 1950’s (the good ‘ol days) to return and never leave again.

The other half is as @Debater Slayer insinuates and @tytlyf mentions directly. The Republican voters truly believe (erroneously) that any and all non-Conservatives will raise taxes beyond all reason solely upon the middle class, purely to heap hand-outs to the undeserving poor (who in turn would rather spit on America and rob your house, than work a day in their lives).
Many Republicans are further mistaken in believing that the liberals will march troops into their homes and take their guns away, while burning flags, and stripping the last bits of Christianity from our schools and culture; primarily out of malice.

No I am not joking. I wish I was, but I have had multiple in person conversations with righties (whether Trumpies or not), as well as online, with in depth discussions of what they believe.
They have, to a one, been hoodwinked. :( They truly believe what they have been told, and facts/history/the Constitution/etc... have no impact on these beliefs.

This is too far fetched to find any truth to it.

You MUST be joking.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
She wasn't a good choice but she seems to reflect the overall mindset of Biden.

Kind of part of the problem. I suspect she doesn't really like Biden. Except now it's convenient for her to pretend she does.

I kind of liked her initially. Nobody else really did. She wasn't getting any traction as a candidate. Now, if anything happens to Biden she will be the POTUS nobody wanted.

If Biden wins, I'm hoping he stays healthy.

Kenny

Premium Member

-etc

-Public Education = Democrat support = and Republicans.
-Minimum wage increase = Democrat support = middle-class = no, only those below poverty line for which there is ample help.
-Workers rights and protections = Democrat support = middle-class - I support workers rights and protections - don't see where republicans don't
-Health care for all = Democrat support = middle class - we reject only the one for all - not the concept
-Lower taxes on middle-class = Democrat support = middle-class - That is EXACTLY what Trump did.
-Climate Change = Democrat support = middle-class - has nothing to do with middle class
-Unions = Democrat support = middle-class - toss up - I agree with them until they become the one that makes business go down as my Uncle said when he worked for GM.
-Small Business = Democrat support = middle-class - also Republicans but Democrat supported Nafta... not exactly a small Business in mind
-More safety laws (regulations) = Democrat support = middle-class - depends what you mean by that
-Equal rights for all = Democrat support = middle-class - Republicans position too.

Doesn't seem like there is that much of a difference.

Last edited:

Kenny

Premium Member
Kind of part of the problem. I suspect she doesn't really like Biden. Except now it's convenient for her to pretend she does.

I kind of liked her initially. Nobody else really did. She wasn't getting any traction as a candidate. Now, if anything happens to Biden she will be the POTUS nobody wanted.

If Biden wins, I'm hoping he stays healthy.
i remember when she "it was a debate" ...

It makes one wonder... how much can I believe her now that she is still in debate mode?