• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the imperatives that drive the need for interfaith dialogue?

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
We live in a fractured religious world. In places like Sri Lanka, a mixed religious and ethnic civil war that raged for many years created a situation where interfaith dialogue is vitally needed.

In the United States religion has exacerbated a political and racial divide that is has become wider. We need to talk to each other about religious differences without rancor, because this is intertwined with race and politics.

In the Balkans we saw how religious ethnic groups caused a destructive war, they need to stop demonizing each other.

In Israel, the Muslims and Jews need to make friends with each other, understand each other.

You can't let religious disagreements get in the way of working together for a laudable goal.

To work with people you need to know their religious beliefs, so you can deal with them more effectively. You need to know how to act appropriately with them. This means talking with them about religion, and it also means knowing about a variety of religious beliefs so when some says they are of a particular religion, or religious denomination, you know roughly what they probably believe.

I will add you need to understand also those without a religion.

Other thoughts?

exchemist

Veteran Member
We live in a fractured religious world. In places like Sri Lanka, a mixed religious and ethnic civil war that raged for many years created a situation where interfaith dialogue is vitally needed.

In the United States religion has exacerbated a political and racial divide that is has become wider. We need to talk to each other about religious differences without rancor, because this is intertwined with race and politics.

In the Balkans we saw how religious ethnic groups caused a destructive war, they need to stop demonizing each other.

In Israel, the Muslims and Jews need to make friends with each other, understand each other.

You can't let religious disagreements get in the way of working together for a laudable goal.

To work with people you need to know their religious beliefs, so you can deal with them more effectively. You need to know how to act appropriately with them. This means talking with them about religion, and it also means knowing about a variety of religious beliefs so when some says they are of a particular religion, or religious denomination, you know roughly what they probably believe.

Other thoughts?
I think you are mixing up two different things here - probably because I suspect this thread is a Trojan Horse for promoting the Baha'i religion, like so many Baha'i threads on this forum ;).

On the one hand, it is undoubtedly necessary for people to be able to accept, and get along with, those of other religions. On the other, there is the issue of whether or not it is necessary to understand the religious beliefs of others in order to deal with them.

I don't believe the latter is true. A Christian can get along perfectly well with a Buddhist, a Hindu or a Zoroastrian without any knowledge at all of their religions (as I know from my own travels and time in the Middle East). OK, you need some awareness that they follow a different faith and therefore may have some different traditions and observances from your own. But all that requires is some basic tolerance towards other beliefs, rather than much knowledge about them.

In fact, to play Devil's Advocate for a moment, one could make a case for saying that the more you know about other people's beliefs, the more likely it is that you will find points of disagreement, which may actually sow discord or reduce the esteem in which you hold that person. ( To take an extreme example, the more you know about Scientology, the more you will be convinced that those who follow it are gullible idiots.)

One thing that can quite quickly get up people's noses, in my experience, is being evangelised by others from a different faith. (So basically no, I'm not interested in the Baha'i proposition, whatever it is :D.)

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think you are mixing up two different things here - probably because I suspect this thread is a Trojan Horse for promoting the Baha'i religion, like so many Baha'i threads on this forum ;)

Maybe this is a good chance in this OP to ask. ;)

Personally I see the Faith given by Baha'u'llah was to promote unity and peace amongst all humanity, regardless of religion, race, gender or nationality.

As such, many topics about unity and peace have been covered within the Baha'i Writings, there is probably not a topic that has not been covered.

To me it is just honest to give the source of my thoughts that feed what I have to offer on these topics. No one,no one at all has to embrace any faith they have no interest in. Personally I see if one wants to promote the unity of all humanity, there most likely is not a better source of how to go about that, but the Baha'i Writings, as it is inclusive of all faiths and no faith, it is the virtues that are promoted. :D

Can you offer the source of other like minded movements, as they should also be promoted, and we could work together.

Regards Tony

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
To take an extreme example, the more you know about Scientology, the more you will be convinced that those who follow it are gullible idiots.

One thing that can quite quickly get up people's noses, in my experience, is being evangelised by others from a different faith. (So basically no, I'm not interested in the Baha'i proposition, whatever it is :D.)
Truthseeker knows that you are not a gullible idiot. She is perhaps angling fish of the other kind. Unfortunately, RF does not have many of them. It is a wrong forum for that. :)
Personally I see the Faith given by Baha'u'llah was to promote unity and peace amongst all humanity, regardless of religion, race, gender or nationality.
How can a religion which says that the other religions are corrupted, help in bringing about peace and brotherhood?

Last edited:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How can a religion which says that the other religions are corrupted, help in bringing about peace and brotherhood?

Only by living the foundation virtues, that build unity. Change is an intrinsic part of the natural world and is constantly happening, albeit at various rates, and change is also an intrinsic part of faith, which also happens at varying rates.

Many conversations had in the past may have lacked some of those virtues. Yet we are all human and can change when we try, as we change so does humanity as a whole.

Regards Tony

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What change? You still believe in one God as Akhenaten, Zoroaser did. You still believe that LGBTQ are abomination and that women are not equal to men.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What change? You still believe in one God as Akhenaten, Zoroaser did. You still believe that LGBTQ are abomination and that women are not equal to men.

Are you now demonstrating what not to do with interfaith dialogue, or show why there is a need for better dialogue?

Regards Tony

Truthseeker

Come to point, Truthseeker. ;)
This is the point. If I have departed from interfaith dialogue, I apologize. I don't want to debate. We haven't gotten along at all, and I take responsibility for my part in that.

I'm just a fallible human being.

Truthseeker

I think you are mixing up two different things here - probably because I suspect this thread is a Trojan Horse for promoting the Baha'i religion, like so many Baha'i threads on this forum ;).
Nope.
On the one hand, it is undoubtedly necessary for people to be able to accept, and get along with, those of other religions. On the other, there is the issue of whether or not it is necessary to understand the religious beliefs of others in order to deal with them.
It's not necessary, but it helps. You may inadvertently step on their toes.
In fact, to play Devil's Advocate for a moment, one could make a case for saying that the more you know about other people's beliefs, the more likely it is that you will find points of disagreement, which may actually sow discord or reduce the esteem in which you hold that person. ( To take an extreme example, the more you know about Scientology, the more you will be convinced that those who follow it are gullible idiots.)
It sounds like you have a low opinion of Scientology advocates, and that doesn't help. We need to respect people and know them as people and not just what beliefs they have. There! You've just helped clarify what interfaith dialogue is all about for me. Thank you! Isn't discussion great and not debate?
You are closing off discussion with me?

Truthseeker

This is getting towards the line of debate here, and not discussion. Let's not do that.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
This is the point. If I have departed from interfaith dialogue, I apologize. I don't want to debate. We haven't gotten along at all, and I take responsibility for my part in that.
Oh, don't. On the contrary, I think that we have gone along fine, like Djoker and Nadal in a tennis match, hurling balls towards each other. It has been interesting. :D

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
To mention that the dialogue-killing stance, "What I say is the only God given truth, and all other religions are corrupted", should not be taken. We have many Gods and Goddesses, both equally important and powerful. They have told us differently.

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Other thoughts?
I am all for interfaith without evangelization.

Truthseeker

To mention that the dialogue-killing stance, "What I say is the only God given truth, and all other religions are corrupted", should not be taken. We have many Gods and Goddesses, both equally important and powerful. They have told us differently.
I think I should listen and not assume that I know all of the truth. I will try to carry that out.

Truthseeker

Oh, don't. On the contrary, I think that we have gone along fine, like Djoker and Nadal in a tennis match, hurling balls towards each other. It has been interesting. :D
Well, what you mention is one trying to assert supremacy over the other. I don't want to do that now, especially in a hostile way.:)