• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Are The Differences Between Religion, Spirituality, and Mysticism?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
What are the differences, if any, between religion, spirituality, and mysticism?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Perspective. Religion is spirituality packaged in convenient, easy-to-swallow tablets, while spirituality is the raw essense of existential Q&A waiting for the individual to do something with.

Mysticism is connecting to "reality" (however it is defined) through various mediums, including religion and spirituality, but also through art and science.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Perspective. Religion is spirituality packaged in convenient, easy-to-swallow tablets, while spirituality is the raw essense of existential Q&A waiting for the individual to do something with.

Mysticism is connecting to "reality" (however it is defined) through various mediums, including religion and spirituality, but also through art and science.

I agree, with what GC says here. I don't think I could have said it better, no real I couldn't. And I never really thought of it that way ether.

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
What are the differences, if any, between religion, spirituality, and mysticism?
Greetings. In my uncommon view, religion is the broader term inclusive of spirituality and mysticism. For me personally, religion is the quest for ultimate concern about being and meaning. Spirituality is that quest through personal direct experience; and mysticism is quest of the personal direct experience of realizing oneness with God (albeit different names are used).
Regards
a1

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants

They are all so much a part of each other that I hardly even attempt to make the distinction. For me, you can't have one without the others.

Ozzie

If you take the view that mysticism is psychological reality for an individual, ie each of us walking around looking at things through a private mystic lense then you are right mysticism subsumes the other two, religion and spiritualism.

I don't think their is any difference in perspective though. Isn't religion information that has been organised in certain way to facilitate easy digestion?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
They are all so much a part of each other that I hardly even attempt to make the distinction. For me, you can't have one without the others.

Which is probably true. Anything that can be distinguished can also be undistinguished. ;)

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
If you take the view that mysticism is psychological reality for an individual, ie each of us walking around looking at things through a private mystic lense then you are right mysticism subsumes the other two, religion and spiritualism.

Mysticism could also be the understanding that we are each worlds-in-ourselves and all-of-the-same-world at the same time.

I don't think their is any difference in perspective though. Isn't religion information that has been organised in certain way to facilitate easy digestion?

Could be, depending on perspective. For some, it is "...spirituality packaged in convenient, easy-to-swallow tablets," while others take these tablets, mash them, and add them to other delicacies to create a rich meal.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

I would be more inclined to agree with you on this one Ozzie. For me, at least, spirituality is a general term, whereas Mysticism is a slightly narrower term implying direct experience and a certain route taken by the individual. Religion, to me, while possessing aspects of both, is a much more watered down version of the two that by default will appeal to a far broader audience.

Another aspect is related to the broader audience appeal. Religion is the lowest rung of the psychological ladder designed to answer questions for those who want preformated answers. In other words, religion is for the lazy bones who don't want to stretch their brains too hard. It is for those who want safety in numbers and have a high need to "belong".

Spirituality appeals to a considerably smaller group in that some effort must be made to "build" spirituality. This would appeal to people who are not quite so satisfied with preformated answers and need to express their internal realization externally in our world. We might refer to spiritualist as dancing to their own drummer, but otherwise quite normal and like interaction with people almost as much as purely pious, religious folks.

Mystical experience is a far smaller group because it takes direct personal effort to make headway in this area. The mystic is far more interested in gaining "the truth of reality" themselves and is generally not content with the preformatted answers given by religions themselves. In many ways the mystic will make their own answers that may or may not mirror answers found in spiritual persuits or accepting religious dogma. This would also be the "lone wolves" we do not feel much need for interaction with others to bolster their views of reality. It's a lonely road, but someone has to do it, so that the others have something to go "by golly" to.

Isabella Lecour

They are oh so different.

Religion is socially accepted belifes and practices that takes groups of people to exist. Spirituality is so much more personal and deals with the matters of the spirit, assumeing that you think you have one or even place worth on it. Mysticism is when one searches for truth and never steps off the path again, very personal and very self searching, transforming.

They can all be combined and often are. Thus confusion as to what they are. Just like little nesseling dolls, one inside the others on and on. So it's Priest led, self led and internaly sought.

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason

It's really very simple.

If it is religion, it's bad. And I'm not talking about the attitudes of atheists towards religion. Theists just love to claim nowadays that they don't have "religion".

If it is spirituality, it's good. It's hip to be "spiritual", or at least to say that you are. You'll never need to prove it, or to define it.

Mysticism is either bad or good. It depends on how much you've read about mystics. If you haven't read anything, then mysticism probably means occultism or some strange religion east of the middle-east. If you have read something, or are in to eastern religions, then the word mysticism will give you warm fuzzies.

There you have it!

:angel2:

eudaimonia,

Mark

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I just had a thought.

Spirituality is exploring the boundaries of your reality, while religion is setting them. Mysticism is breaking through the boundaries, or using them to guide your way past the shared view of it.

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
Spirituality is exploring the boundaries of your reality, while religion is setting them. Mysticism is breaking through the boundaries, or using them to guide your way past the shared view of it.

That's not bad. It sounds about right.

eudaimonia,

Mark