• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are some things that all Eastern Religions have in common?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I'm looking to just believe in the fundamentals of most Eastern Religions such as Taoism; Buddhism; Jainism; Hinduism; Confucianism; etc All of those.

What are some things that they all have in common with each other? (beliefs specifically but can stretch beyond :D)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Most of those are Dharmic, but I don't think that is quite true of Confucionism, and there are probably some questionable pockets in the other ones as well.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm looking to just believe in the fundamentals of most Eastern Religions such as Taoism; Buddhism; Jainism; Hinduism; Confucianism; etc All of those.

What are some things that they all have in common with each other? (beliefs specifically but can stretch beyond :D)

Generally, Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism, and Sikhism are lumoped together as dharmic, whilst Taoism, Confucianism, and Shinto are Asiatic, or some other term. One thing I think most have in common is a high regard for ethical character development, as in improvement of the individual by the individual, for the betterment of mankind.

Marble

Rolling Marble
They are not monotheistic in the sense of the Abrahemitic religions, they have no God but many gods.

Many Sages One Truth

I would say similarities of all eastern religions is their emphasis on cultivating mindfulness, discipline, balance, and good manners. This is true, not only of the dharmic religions, but of Chinese religion and Shinto as well.

I may be eclectic and believe things from all world religions, but I will say the eastern religions influence me most.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I don't think Taoism, Confucionism and Shinto, at least, can be fairly said to be Indian in origin.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
.. whilst Taoism, Confucianism, and Shinto are Asiatic, or some other term.
Far-Eastern (and not from India. The Chinese and the Japanese are equally smart)? :) (Oh, that was Vinayaka, and the post was from 2011). Sorry. Hope Vinayaka will come back soon.

Jedster

Seems to me, from reading many of the writings, that Eastern religions encourage people to look within themselves.

haps those same things their very own maker would want them to go see. Not always fundamentally possible just because some were born to just see but never change. Otherwise, great forum.Seems to me, from reading many of the writings, that Eastern religions encourage people to look within themselves.
Good answer, or also, to look outside themselves to see what else might just inspire them to go look inward to even more. But that is also more dependent on per what they will be made to see just because some will only count forward. Great discussion, forum.