• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are ghosts?

Draka

Wonder Woman
1. Doesn't mean they do.

2. Not good evidence, because they are not falsifiable, i.e. scientific.

3. There's nothing logical about the paranormal or supernatural, they by definition defy logic.
If that's what you are adament about believing...oh well. :shrug: Have at it.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
I don't accept that possibility, because

1) I've seen no proof of it.

2) I've never experienced such a thing, or witnessed anyone that experienced such a thing.

3) It's not based in logic.

1) Other people have

2) Have you experienced a black hole or absolute 0? I'm sure you believe those concepts exist.

3) The same could be said for your stance.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
I think that ghosts are spirits that linger on earth due to some attachment with the physical world. In Hinduism though, when people commit suicide, they linger around until their alotted times is up because their next body which they will be reincarnated into is not ready as yet.

logician

1) Other people have

2) Have you experienced a black hole or absolute 0? I'm sure you believe those concepts exist.

3) The same could be said for your stance.

1. Your concept of "proof" needs work.

2. Paranormal and psychic phenomenon are personal experiences, black holes of necessity aren't. Black holes have been confirmed thru astronomical observations, though, more convincing evidence than what "backs" paranormal activity.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Ok logician...care to explain EVP? Or changes in EMF? Odd temperture variations within a very small area of space?

There ARE scientific ways of paranormal investigation. Changes and differences that have no other means of being explained away unless you look at paranormal activity as being an option.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
logician said:
1. Your concept of "proof" needs work.
As does yours.

logician said:
2. Paranormal and psychic phenomenon are personal experiences, black holes of necessity aren't. Black holes have been confirmed thru astronomical observations, though, more convincing evidence than what "backs" paranormal activity.
I don't when observations became more credible than personal experiences, but that just makes paranormal activity all the more valid seeing as it has both observation and personal experience. What you describe as "more convincing evidence" seems more like "validation through personal prejudice." ;)

Rystefn K'ryll

Smiter of Infidels
Ok logician...care to explain EVP? Or changes in EMF? Odd temperture variations within a very small area of space?

EVP? Pareidolia. EMF and temperature variations? Never shown to be significant in controlled tests (i.e. AC vents and such are generally the cause).

rajakrsna

For religious folks out there, if you believe when one dies their spirit goes to heaven(or hell), then what are ghosts? Why are spirits still hanging around here, if they should be elsewhere? Or do religious folks believe in ghosts?

Personally, I don't believe in ghosts or paranormal phenomenon as being real.

If we don`t believe in ghosts, then why do we watch horror movies?:D

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member

There ARE scientific ways of paranormal investigation. Changes and differences that have no other means of being explained away unless you look at paranormal activity as being an option.
They'll have an answer for everything.

I remember watching a documentry where a scientist investigated the house of a family in the United States that was having a high level of paranormal activity. Being unable to explain what was going on by any natural means, he finally came to the conclusion that the earth's tectonic plates were stimulating everyones brain and causing them to hallucinate......sounds like a well though out and credible theory to me. :areyoucra

If I come across the story I'm thinking of I'll post the link.

Rystefn K'ryll

Smiter of Infidels

I remember watching a documentry where a scientist investigated the house of a family in the United States that was having a high level of paranormal activity. Being unable to explain what was going on by any natural means, he finally came to the conclusion that the earth's tectonic plates were stimulating everyones brain and causing them to hallucinate......sounds like a well though out and credible theory to me. :areyoucra

I wonder about the veracity of any such documentary... Sounds like the sort of thing con artists make up to convince the credulous. Anyone actually proving something like "high levels of paranormal activity" would immediately win the Nobel Prize.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
I wonder about the veracity of any such documentary... Sounds like the sort of thing con artists make up to convince the credulous. Anyone actually proving something like "high levels of paranormal activity" would immediately win the Nobel Prize.
Not if the people awarding the Nobel Prize refuse to believe in such a thing to begin with.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member

I din't find the actual study, but here is the theory I was talking about:

ASSAP geology and ghosts

Rystefn K'ryll

Smiter of Infidels
Not if the people awarding the Nobel Prize refuse to believe in such a thing to begin with.

That's what the word "proof" means. All scientific ideas must resist determined attempts to prove them wrong. This is the basis of science. However, the issue here isn't anything like proof - there's not even a single piece of evidence EVER to indicate there MIGHT be such a thing as ghosts demonstrated in a controlled test. Do you think there might be a reason for this?

logician

That's what the word "proof" means. All scientific ideas must resist determined attempts to prove them wrong. This is the basis of science. However, the issue here isn't anything like proof - there's not even a single piece of evidence EVER to indicate there MIGHT be such a thing as ghosts demonstrated in a controlled test. Do you think there might be a reason for this?

One problem is shows like "Ghost Hunters" try to give an air of legitimacy to the whole field by making it seem like they're "talking" to ghosts, asking them to do things, etc, in addition to implying belches, burps, shadows, lights, and other assorted sights and sounds are coming straight from your local neighborhood ghost. It's misleading and dishonest, I dislike such shows intensely.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Yes I do think there is a reason for this and it's the same thing I told Logician earlier: Refusal to let go of preconceived beliefs/opinions and validation through personal prejudice. In other words, willful ignorance. When a scientist come across something in the paranormal that he/she can't explain with any natural means, more often than not they manage to come up with some new theory that is more laughable then the concept of a deceased persons spirit. "I don't know" does not appear to be some peoples vocabulary.

Call it "pseudo science" or whatever label you choose, but there is "proof" and evidence for the possibility of "ghosts."

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

The nature of the beast? :shrug:

It's not a lab experiment, it's a field experiment. Or a natural experiment, which is more likely.

Draka

Wonder Woman
One problem is shows like "Ghost Hunters" try to give an air of legitimacy to the whole field by making it seem like they're "talking" to ghosts, asking them to do things, etc, in addition to implying belches, burps, shadows, lights, and other assorted sights and sounds are coming straight from your local neighborhood ghost. It's misleading and dishonest, I dislike such shows intensely.

That's humorous since the two guys that started TAPS are actually going into these situations with the intent to disprove any paranormal activity. However, even they have to break down and admit, from time to time, that they cannot reasonably come up with any other explanations than real paranormal activity.

logician

That's humorous since the two guys that started TAPS are actually going into these situations with the intent to disprove any paranormal activity. However, even they have to break down and admit, from time to time, that they cannot reasonably come up with any other explanations than real paranormal activity.

That may be what they say(to give it legitimacy), but the show is not like that at all.