• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What am I?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I am not sure what to classify myself as. I call myself a universalist Christian, but maybe there is a better term. I am a liberal Christian, but think all religions are valid. I like Buddhism as philosophy. I think that there were other enlightened beings besides Jesus, but think he probably was the closest person to revealing the attributes of God. My view of God is more panentheistic than theistic. I think the Bible is a good guide on how to be Godly and Christ-like, but think it's mostly metaphors and some of it was taken from other religions. I can appreciate Taoism, in trying to eliminate desire (I know that many eastern religions say this), live simply and harmoniously with the universe and like the idea of yin and yang. So....what am I?

Heim

Where does this desire for a proper name for your path come from? Are you perhaps looking for likeminded individuals, but don't know under which keywords you might find them?

nazz

Doubting Thomas
I am not sure what to classify myself as. I call myself a universalist Christian, but maybe there is a better term. I am a liberal Christian, but think all religions are valid. I like Buddhism as philosophy. I think that there were other enlightened beings besides Jesus, but think he probably was the closest person to revealing the attributes of God. My view of God is more panentheistic than theistic. I think the Bible is a good guide on how to be Godly and Christ-like, but think it's mostly metaphors and some of it was taken from other religions. I can appreciate Taoism, in trying to eliminate desire (I know that many eastern religions say this), live simply and harmoniously with the universe and like the idea of yin and yang. So....what am I?
open minded?

Confused.

allfoak

Alchemist
You would fit into my category.
I am simply different.
I do not fit into any category.
Every time someone wants to put me in one i get out.

I have even been called a lunatic and i have then shown that i have more logic and reason for my choices in life than they do their own.

Don't get put into a box, it stunts your growth.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Where does this desire for a proper name for your path come from? Are you perhaps looking for likeminded individuals, but don't know under which keywords you might find them?

I guess I want to have a religion and not some syncretic made up thing.

I'm sorry.I did not mean it sarcastically.I just mean that,well you stated you are a liberal christian.There is no such thing.You also stated that you have all these other interest too_One cannot be a christian and also be into other things too.That's all I meant by confused.One who is a true christian is devoted to God and follows the teachings of Christ only.There is no in between.I apologize once again if I sounded harsh.That was not my intention.Please forgive me.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Of course there are liberal Christians. Like fundamentalists take the Bible literally, mainline Christians take much of it metaphorically and liberals take even more of it metaphorically. Supernatural theism is for a time when we didn't know as much about our world, so we attributed things to God. So much has been proven wrong that it's silly to take it literally in this day and age. So only about 38% of Christians are fundamentalists, the rest are mainline and liberal.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
So....what am I?

Very determined in being inclusive in your beliefs, apparently.

I wonder if it would be reasonable of me to suggest that you take this priority a bit more seriously than you need to. It is quite possible to have respect for a belief while disagreeing with it. It is little more than a hunch, but I think you are trying a bit too hard.

Heim

Have tried attending service at some of the more progressive/liberal Christian churches?
I believe that, in the US, United Church of Christ is such a church?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I wonder if it would be reasonable of me to suggest that you take this priority a bit more seriously than you need to. It is quite possible to have respect for a belief while disagreeing with it. It is little more than a hunch, but I think you are trying a bit too hard.

I am a shameless suck up for acceptance. :oops:

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Have tried attending service at some of the more progressive/liberal Christian churches?
I believe that, in the US, United Church of Christ is such a church?

I love our local UCC church. Hubby, on the other hand, is conservative/mainline and didn't like some things. It's been hard to find a middle ground. *sigh*

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I am a shameless suck up for acceptance. :oops:

Ultimately, so are all or most of us. There is nothing wrong with that unless you feel that it is troubling you somehow.

May I suggest you might benefit from some reflection or practice involving respectful disagreement as a subject matter? It can be quite joyful and liberating to learn that path towards knowing for certain that you will never agree with someone on some religious matter yet that is no reason to have any less acceptance towards him.

Of course there are liberal Christians. Like fundamentalists take the Bible literally, mainline Christians take much of it metaphorically and liberals take even more of it metaphorically. Supernatural theism is for a time when we didn't know as much about our world, so we attributed things to God. So much has been proven wrong that it's silly to take it literally in this day and age. So only about 38% of Christians are fundamentalists, the rest are mainline and liberal.

What I mean is that there are true christians,and then there are so called christians.Those who let the holy spirit guide them, and understand the word of God,and follow the commandments of God,are true christians.Those who think they can believe what they want,bits and pieces of the holy scriptures, to suit their own needs, are not true christians.