• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What´s the difference between.....

Me Myself

Back to my username
Mormons, latter day saints, jehova witnesses, evangelists? I keep confusing you guys x_x

Could you tell me some clear cut differences in believes, approaches, moments of origination as a dinstict christian branch with such name, etc.

I´ll probably make more questions to properly understand further your responses.

Thanks in advance :D

edit: Also Seventh Day Adventists please!

Last edited:

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Mormons and Latter Day Saints is the same people.

Jehova Witness are a group onto themselves and are the more aggressive when it comes to knocking at your door.

Evangelists is just a word and not necessarily a group/religion.

Me Myself

Back to my username
So which are the ones saying only 144000 will go to heaven and the rest of God´s people stay in Earth living in peace?

and which are the ones saying hell is only for demons and there are most likely no humans in hell?

Quiddity

So which are the ones saying only 144000 will go to heaven and the rest of God´s people stay in Earth living in peace?
That would be the Jehova Witness and they are also the ones that have issue with blood transfusions.
and which are the ones saying hell is only for demons and there are most likely no humans in hell?

I used to be Mormon so I think you are talking about them. However, it's false to say there will be no humans. Humans will be there, but it will only be temporary. And it's actually three different places you can land (degrees of glory) celestial/terrestrial/telestial. And they also have their version of purgatory but from the outside they could all be seen as purgatory.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Jehova Witnesses are the ones who do think you go to hell eternaly if you don´t believe in Jesus then?

Quiddity

Jehova Witnesses are the ones who do think you go to hell eternaly if you don´t believe in Jesus then?

I know some protestants who believe that and they aren't JW's.

I can say for sure on this one. I defer to Pegg on this.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Mormons, latter day saints, jehova witnesses, evangelists? I keep confusing you guys x_x

Could you tell me some clear cut differences in believes, approaches, moments of origination as a dinstict christian branch with such name, etc.

I´ll probably make more questions to properly understand further your responses.

Thanks in advance :D

edit: Also Seventh Day Adventists please!
"Mormons" are members of the Church of Jesus-Christ of Latter-day Saints. They are also called "Latter-day Saints" or "LDS" for short. They are called "Mormons" because of their belief in a book of scripture called "The Book of Mormon," a book which stands as an additional witness that Jesus is the Christ. There is actually no such thing as "The Mormon Church." (If you look in the phone book, for instance, you won't find a listing for them. The most you might hope for is a note saying, "See Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.")

Here is the underlying claim of the Church (not an official statement, rather my in-a-nutshell description of it): Mormons believe that Jesus Christ established His Church, but that during the years following His death and the deaths of His chosen Apostles, men changed the doctrines and the organizational structure of that Church. We believe that Jesus Christ re-established it through someone else He personally chose, a young man by the name of Joseph Smith. This took place in 1830. In other words, Mormons believe that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the very same Church as was originally established by Jesus Christ, just that it has been re-established in this period of time.

Jehovah's Witnesses, Seventh-Day Adventists, and Mormons are all restorationist churches. They have that much in common. Other than that, there are both differences and similarities between them. Evangelists aren't a religious denomination. An evangelist is simply a person who believes that Christians have a responsiblity to spread the gospel. The phrase "Evangelical Christians" is often used to describe certain more conservative, or fundamentalist Protestant groups. There are Evangelical Baptists and Evangelical Lutherans, for instance.

You are now in the Christianity DIR. From the Christianity DIR, you can go into the Restorationists DIR for more information on the various restorationist movements and from that DIR into the specific restorationist denominations, such as The Latter-day Saints DIR. In looking in the Restorationists DIR, I noticed that neither the Jehovah's Witnesses nor the Seventh-Day Adventists are listed. I've always thought they would fit into that general grouping, but it's really a pretty subjective decision as to where every denomination fits. I'd be happy to answer and questions about the LDS or "Mormon" faith for you, but I kind of make it a policy not to try to describe other people's beliefs. I think you can always count on more accurate information if you go directly to a member of that church. (For instance, why would you ask a Methodist to explain Eastern Orthodoxy to you if you could ask a member of the Eastern Orthodox Church your questions?)

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
we believe that only a small number (144,000 according to the apostle John) go to heaven to be with Christ in the heavenly kingdom.

the kingdom is for the purpose of governing mankind and leading them back to perfection. So the majority of mankind will live on an earthly paradise.... and that includes all those who have died too, the good and the bad. They will be resurrected back to life on earth.

We dont accept blood as a form of medicine, but do accept other non-blood forms of transfusion if needed.

We dont believe that hell is a literal place of fire and torment. We believe that it is only the grave. So we all go there when we die...even Jesus spent 3 days in hell according to the scriptures... so it is obviously not a place of torment for the wicked. It is nothing more then the grave.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Mormons have the book of Mormon, I will let The LDS members answer about their beliefs as I was never a Mormon. I used to study and almost became a JW, so I can answer a bit on them: They don't believe in hell, but in the destruction of the spirit, that Jesus was Michael the Archangel, they don't have "ministers", but they have different baptized members lead each of their meetings at Kingdom Hall, they believe in going door to door (and I did it myself once or twice, but I didn't speak to anyone).

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Oh, and I forgot- JWs don't celebrate birthdays or any holidays and they don't believe in blood transfusions.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Jehovah Witnesses are the ones who do think you go to hell eternaly if you don´t believe in Jesus then?

There is No way to remain in the temporary Bible's hell eternally because according to Revelation [20 vs13,14] the biblical hell ends.
Hell [sheol] ends in 'second death'.

According to Rev. [1v18] Jesus has the keys to unlock hell. [gravedom]
Everyone in the Bible's hell is 'delivered up' [unlocked] as in meaning resurrected out of hell. Hell then becomes vacant of all people.
It is 'emptied-out hell' that is cast into: 'second death'.

Hebrews [2v14 B] brings out that Jesus destroys Satan.
Rev. [21v8] brings out that Satan ends up in 'second death'.
So, 'second death' is a fitting expression for: 'destruction'.
Destruction for all wicked as in annihilated or destroyed forever.
-Psalm 92v7.

So, except for those committing the unforgivable sin,
[Luke 12v10;Hebrews 6 vs4-6]
All the rest [majority] of mankind will be resurrected to either life in heaven,
or resurrected on earth during Jesus 1000-year reign over earth.
-Acts 24v15

idea

Question Everything

How about listing some similarities?

All of the above use the Bible as scriptures, try to follow Jesus - ie be charitable, kind, have strong families, support one another etc. etc.

Mormons and JW's don't believein the trinity (right JW's?) but we all believe that the Godhead are united in purpose.

we all believe in some version of heaven, and hell. I think we all view this life as a test and learning opportunity - I think we all believe in free will, and we all believe that we are children of a Heavenly Father.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Similarities:
They are all Christians
They all believe in Jesus and follow His commands
They worship God.
And more...
:)

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
How about listing some similarities?
we all believe in some version of heaven, and hell. I think we all view this life as a test and learning opportunity - I think we all believe in free will, and we all believe that we are children of a Heavenly Father.

Similarities? but what about listing some belief in some version of 'earth'?
Thinking about biblical similarities [?] about heaven and hell [sheol]
but what about earth ?
Why leave earth out of the picture ?

The truth will set you free. Free from what is false.
Jesus believed the Scriptures [John 17v17] is religious truth.
That would lead me to conclude the Bible's version of heaven, hell [sheol],
and earth is the correct version or religious truth or fact.

Don't most people ignore earth and focus between heaven and hell ?
Yet, Scriptures teach a lot about the future of earth and who will be on earth.
Not just heaven, but living forever, or everlasting life, on earth.
[Genesis 12v3; 22v18;Rev. 22v2]

We are nearing the harvest time of separation of Matthew 25vs31,32.

Jesus gave an illustration of how 'genuine wheat Christians' would grow together over the centuries with 'fake weed/tares Christians' until the harvest time. We know a harvest comes at the end of the growing season.

The world is now over filled with a bumper crop of 'weeds' that need to be weeded out in order for the 'wheat' to flourish. Flourish on earth.

Weeded out or separating the wheat from the chaff.
Jesus, as the Fine Shepherd, will separate the humble sheep-like people [wheat] from the haughty goat-like [weed] people. [Matt 25 vs31,32,46]

The people of Matthew [25 vs32,40] are alive on earth at that final time or harvest time of separation. There is no mention of the sheep having to die.
They are the living sheep of verse 32 on earth living at that end time of all badness on earth.
Also Jesus 'brothers' who are on earth at that time of verse 40 are also alive on earth.
Who 'goes' at that separating time [harvest time] are only the haughty goats.
They are the wicked of Psalm [92v7] that 'go' or are destroyed forever.

That leaves earth populated with the remaining ones, or remnant, of Jesus spiritual 'brothers' [1st Cor. 15v50], and the humble sheep-like people that have done good to Jesus 'brothers' while they are still on earth.

Those humble 'sheep' do not leave earth but gain eternal life, or everlasting life, right here on a paradisaic earth starting at that time of divine involvement into mankind's affairs by Christ Jesus ridding the earth of the wicked.
[Isaiah 11vs3,4; Rev 19vs11,15]

That is truly the good news of God's kingdom in the hands of Christ Jesus as king of God's kingdom, because Jesus, as Prince of Peace, will usher in global Peace on Earth starting with Jesus messianic 1000-year reign over earth.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Similarities? but what about listing some belief in some version of 'earth'?
Thinking about biblical similarities [?] about heaven and hell [sheol]
but what about earth ?
Why leave earth out of the picture ?

The truth will set you free. Free from what is false.
Jesus believed the Scriptures [John 17v17] is religious truth.
That would lead me to conclude the Bible's version of heaven, hell [sheol],
and earth is the correct version or religious truth or fact.

Don't most people ignore earth and focus between heaven and hell ?
Yet, Scriptures teach a lot about the future of earth and who will be on earth.
Not just heaven, but living forever, or everlasting life, on earth.
[Genesis 12v3; 22v18;Rev. 22v2]

We are nearing the harvest time of separation of Matthew 25vs31,32.

Jesus gave an illustration of how 'genuine wheat Christians' would grow together over the centuries with 'fake weed/tares Christians' until the harvest time. We know a harvest comes at the end of the growing season.

The world is now over filled with a bumper crop of 'weeds' that need to be weeded out in order for the 'wheat' to flourish. Flourish on earth.

Weeded out or separating the wheat from the chaff.
Jesus, as the Fine Shepherd, will separate the humble sheep-like people [wheat] from the haughty goat-like [weed] people. [Matt 25 vs31,32,46]

The people of Matthew [25 vs32,40] are alive on earth at that final time or harvest time of separation. There is no mention of the sheep having to die.
They are the living sheep of verse 32 on earth living at that end time of all badness on earth.
Also Jesus 'brothers' who are on earth at that time of verse 40 are also alive on earth.
Who 'goes' at that separating time [harvest time] are only the haughty goats.
They are the wicked of Psalm [92v7] that 'go' or are destroyed forever.

That leaves earth populated with the remaining ones, or remnant, of Jesus spiritual 'brothers' [1st Cor. 15v50], and the humble sheep-like people that have done good to Jesus 'brothers' while they are still on earth.

Those humble 'sheep' do not leave earth but gain eternal life, or everlasting life, right here on a paradisaic earth starting at that time of divine involvement into mankind's affairs by Christ Jesus ridding the earth of the wicked.
[Isaiah 11vs3,4; Rev 19vs11,15]

That is truly the good news of God's kingdom in the hands of Christ Jesus as king of God's kingdom, because Jesus, as Prince of Peace, will usher in global Peace on Earth starting with Jesus messianic 1000-year reign over earth.
Come on... This isn't a thread where you've been asked to promote your religion or try to prove someone else wrong. It's just a thread where someone wanted to know the essential differences between a few groups of Christians.

james2ko

Come on... This isn't a thread where you've been asked to promote your religion or try to prove someone else wrong. It's just a thread where someone wanted to know the essential differences between a few groups of Christians.

Gotta love Ur's overzeolousness.

Me Myself

Back to my username

Thanks for that :D