• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wealth Inequality in the United States

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Here's a video that graphically shows wealth inequality in America.

It seems to me that Plutarch was right about wealth inequality when he wrote 2000 years ago that no republic has ever withstood such inequality for long. If the current inequality is allowed to continue, I think you would be wise to look for an end to the American Experiment in representational government.

But what do you think? Is great wealth inequality dangerous to the republic?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Fatally. Wealth inequality is inequality not only of rights (which would be bad enough), but also of compatibility of experiences and perspectives.

Let it grow too much and people will become not only unwilling, but also incapable of understanding each other. Which in turn breeds ever growing degrees of mistrust.

Unless reversed soon enough, that tendency may only result on the breaking of any possibility of shared community and leadership.

As I understand it, it is too late already for the USA. Some sort of break-up, a hurtful one at that, seems to already be underway.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

It seems to me that Plutarch was right about wealth inequality when he wrote 2000 years ago that no republic has ever withstood such inequality for long. If the current inequality is allowed to continue, I think you would be wise to look for an end to the American Experiment in representational government.

Of course not. It's an inspiration for the public at large to achieve the American Dream. Being a millionaire is no longer enough. We really want more than anything to pay off all our representatives to vote in our best interests and pet projects, to engage in insider trading, and to avoid paying any taxes by placing our money in off-shore accounts AND take more millions of dollars from the government through claiming massive deductions in spite of making record profits for any banner year. And we have the entire public fooled into thinking that it's either the result of hard work or that they are powerless to our cabal of oligarchs. [/sarcasm]

There will be a fair amount of wealth inequality in any true meritocracy, but the state of the union shows that this inequality prevents the country from functioning as a constitutional representative republic.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing

http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...equality-america-viral-video.html#post3256255
:D

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I try to maintain as much wealth inequality between me and poor people as possible. That being said, I'm always surprised at how few wealthy people it seems are smart enough to understand that wealth only has value when it is supported by a sustainable system which provides the necessary elements to give it value. Ultra wealthy people sucking up and hoarding vast amounts of money weakens the entire system, and, ultimately, could result in their wealth devaluing or disappearing.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Of course not. It's an inspiration for the public at large to achieve the American Dream. Being a millionaire is no longer enough. We really want more than anything to pay off all our representatives to vote in our best interests and pet projects, to engage in insider trading, and to avoid paying any taxes by placing our money in off-shore accounts AND take more millions of dollars from the government through claiming massive deductions in spite of making record profits for any banner year. And we have the entire public fooled into thinking that it's either the result of hard work or that they are powerless to our cabal of oligarchs. [/sarcasm]

There will be a fair amount of wealth inequality in any true meritocracy, but the state of the union shows that this inequality prevents the country from functioning as a constitutional representative republic.

I think I'm in love....:flirt:......:dan:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Not really. Video pretty much speaks for itself.

Maybe, but I'm trying to focus the conversation more on the effects of wealth inequality on representative government than anything else.