• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We need to have an honest discussion about race in America

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
But it's not like all people who act crazy are limited to a specific race, and those who act like barbarians on crack are of another.
Yep. It's a shared trait. I think that culture is more responsible that some races come across as having a particular disposition and are more prone to adopting those traits which of course leads to stereotyping.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Two scenario's.....

White cop shoots a white suspect
Black cop shoots a white suspect
White cop shoots a black suspect
Black cop shoots a black suspect
All had the same outcome but only one will make national news. Why?

Four white people attack a white person
Four black people attack a white person
Four white people attack a black person
Four black people attack a black person
All had the same crime committed against a person but only one will make national news. Why?

In my opinion race isn't a a huge problem. Its the focus the news puts on an incident involving different races and makes and keeps race a problem.

The media has a part to play.

But this doesn't negate the existence of systemic inequalities.

Kfox

Yep. It's a shared trait. I think that culture is more responsible that some races come across as having a particular disposition and are more prone to adopting those traits which of course leads to stereotyping.
So in your view; is it more about culture, or race?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
So in your view; is it more about culture, or race?
I personally think its more a cultural thing coupled with natural evolution that makes people do or say things differently from others.

It's just some races had different environments and carries those traits over as I see it.

We Never Know

No Slack
The media has a part to play.

But this doesn't negate the existence of systemic inequalities.

Its ignorance at every corner that keeps race a problem.

Black history month...What would happen if there was a white history month? Native Americans history month?
Why not just have "a history month" dedicated to every race.

Black entertainment television....what would happen if there was a white entertainment television or native american entertainment television?
Why not just have entertainment television for everyone?

The movie "White Chicks" where two black comedians played white chicks....what would happen if a movie came out called "black chicks" with two white comedians playing black chicks?
Its not a one way street. Its a two way street.

Casper, cracker, redskin, easy geronimo, slow down chief, etc are acceptable but other names aren't.

tytlyf

Not Religious
I like the late Dr Kings statement that it's the content of one's character, and not the color of their skin.
You know that quote is directed at white people? I'd say minorities are still struggling with this problem.

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

And which direction has that scale tipped for the last 400 years?

White history month is every other month of the year, because the American school system is automatically teaching "white history." Very little is covered regarding anything outside of it. Native history and Black History are not explicitly covered, and what is covered is whitewashed.

Edit: and there is a Native History Month. Fyi

We Never Know

No Slack

White history month is every other month of the year, because the American school system is automatically teaching "white history." Very little is covered regarding anything outside of it. Native history and Black History are not explicitly covered, and what is covered is whitewashed.

People need to quit trying to tilt the scale and let it equal out.

What month is named "white history month"?

Morgan Freeman said it best...

We Never Know

No Slack

November is "Native American Heritage Month".
History is the study of the past and heritage refers to valued objects and qualities such as historic buildings and traditions that have been passed down from previous generations. That is the main difference between history and heritage.

Kfox

The economy is a functional part of the System. And therefore systemic.
I disagree. In order for there to be systemic racism, the system itself, or that specific jurisdiction must be created in such a manner that it will remain racist no matter the person(s) holding positions within it.
Let’s say you are given free reign to remove all officers within that jurisdiction, and replace them with a new group of people, hand chosen by you; would said racism remain?
Let’s take a police department as an example. If removing / replacing the variables from the system, in this case the police officers, would cleanse the system of racism, then systemic racism did not exist; you just had a group of racist cops using their position to be racist; often going against the system in order to accomplish this. However, if you remove / replace all variables within the system with new variables known to be non-corrupt from the systems intention (in this case if you replace all cops with people known to not be racist), yet the system remains corrupt (racist here), then systemic racism exists.
An example of systemic racism would be Jim Crow laws of the 1960’s no matter how fair the bus driver was, blacks were still required to sit in the back of the bus because the system itself was racist; not just the people working the system.
Again I ask; where is the racist system?

We Never Know

No Slack
Over the years, I’ve heard many people say that we need to have an honest discussion about race in America, but when the people who say this get the discussion, I’ve found 100% of the time (not most of the time, not even 90%, but 100% of the time) it turns out these are the very people who do not want an honest discussion about race in America. What they want is to dictate their subjective views about race to everyone else, even to the point of offending others, but they do not want others dictating their subjective views at them; even even to a point that they might find offensive.
They want to express their views to others and have others listen to them, without giving input or disagreement, and they attempt to conflate this with having an honest discussion about race. This is not a discussion, this is dictation; this is indoctrination. Now if this is what you want, fine; just just say so! Say you want to dictate your subjective views about race on to others and just have them listen; and quit calling it a desire for an honest discussion, because that it is not.
Your thoughts?

Black slavery was wrong. Any slavery was wrong.
Asian slaves built the railroads but that isnt made an issue.
Native Americans were either made slaves, murdered or forced to leave their land to a reservation but that isnt made an issue.
Why not?

Edit...

"The dukes of hazard" was taken off TV because of a rebel flag.

Many historical things about the american revolution have been taken down/destroyed
Many, if not all old TV shows that have black slavery in them aren't on TV anymore.

But go to near any western channel and you can still see native americans portrayed as savages and murdered as such.
Why hasn't that been stopped?

Last edited:

Kfox

Every American school system is different; I don’t think it is fair to judge all of them based on your limited experience. I learned about Black Wall street, George Washington Carver, Fredrick Douglass, Black Renaissance, Booker T, WEB, and a lot of other people and issues concerning black people in public school. Granted the School I went to had a disproportionate number of blacks going there, but just as it would be unfair for me to assume all schools teach what my school taught, it would be just as unfair to assume all schools teach what your school taught.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
November is "Native American Heritage Month".
History is the study of the past and heritage refers to valued objects and qualities such as historic buildings and traditions that have been passed down from previous generations. That is the main difference between history and heritage.

Heritage and history are intertwined concepts. Heritage is history we carry forward.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Over the years, I’ve heard many people say that we need to have an honest discussion about race in America, but when the people who say this get the discussion, I’ve found 100% of the time (not most of the time, not even 90%, but 100% of the time) it turns out these are the very people who do not want an honest discussion about race in America. What they want is to dictate their subjective views about race to everyone else, even to the point of offending others, but they do not want others dictating their subjective views at them; even even to a point that they might find offensive.
They want to express their views to others and have others listen to them, without giving input or disagreement, and they attempt to conflate this with having an honest discussion about race. This is not a discussion, this is dictation; this is indoctrination. Now if this is what you want, fine; just just say so! Say you want to dictate your subjective views about race on to others and just have them listen; and quit calling it a desire for an honest discussion, because that it is not.
Your thoughts?
The only race I am familiar with is the human race.

So are we talking about the difference between the human race and the ape race?