• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ways of helping to stop the spread of misinformation, and harmful and dangerous ideas?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I think that one very powerful influence on people’s beliefs, and on their behavior also, is wanting to look good to some other people. I see that happening with science beliefs as much as with any other beliefs. I see little or no hope for those beliefs to change, unless and until the person finds some new way to satisfy the psychological and social needs that they’re trying to satisfy that way. One way that happens is by being attracted to a different faction with different beliefs, but I think that there are better ways for people to satisfy those needs, and help reduce animosities and hostilities across belief lines, at the same time. One those ways might be by seeing and experiencing healthier friendships and healthier community life.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
From what I’ve seen people saying sometimes in these forums, it looks to me like they might think that they’re helping to stop the spread of misinformation, or of harmful and dangerous ideas. I’m interested in people’s ideas about how to do that.
An incomplete list of things to ask oneself....
- Am I seriously considering both sides with an open mind?
- Am I being civil & engaging with the other side?
- Am I being careful to avoid treating my opinions as facts?
- Am I devaluing some people's lives relative to others?
- Am I making enemies? How so?

Reactions: Jim