• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Watch this feminist get destroyed.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
I do enjoy listening to Milo Yiannopoulos, even if I don't agree with everything he says.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Julie Bindel is a transphobic piece of trash, anyway. She's also just generally an idiot, still pushing that offensive and ridiculous "political lesbianism" crap like it's still the '70s. Her age really shows with her tired-*** rhetoric.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
That was actually a pretty respectful debate. I really don't like Julie Bindel but even she came off as likable in this video. They were both funny and down to earth. I agreed with Milo more, but Julie actually did make some good points. (I'm not a fan of Milo's conservative politics, although he has a great personality. It's strange to see a politically conservative flamboyant queen in the first place.) Thanks for posting.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I tried to watch it.
Really, I did.
But to face 2 hours of what appeared to be endless posturing & antagonism just didn't inspire me.

I wonder about something in the open remarks by the hosts.....
Why is it terribly wrong to make rape jokes about women, but male dismemberment
jokes are not merely acceptable, but feminists (including this one) make them?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I tried to watch it.
Really, I did.
But to face 2 hours of what appeared to be endless posturing & antagonism just didn't inspire me.

I wonder about something in the open remarks by the hosts.....
Why is it terribly wrong to make rape jokes about women, but male dismemberment
jokes are not merely acceptable, but feminists (including this one) make them?

I know, man... if a male made dismemberment jokes about women, he would be torn limb from limb!

In all seriousness, I think the analogy is false. I know people who don't object to jokes about killing or violently beating someone up, but they oppose rape jokes. I'm not sure what to make of that, since I'm like that as well. I think murder is just as heinous as rape, but I generally object to rape jokes more than murder jokes in a lot of contexts. Maybe that has to do with being desensitized to murder jokes, but then again, I have frequently heard and still hear rape jokes, yet they repel me all the same. I don't know why this discrepancy in my reaction to both kinds of jokes exists. I acknowledge the inconsistency, for what it's worth.

I also think that the ridiculosness and hyperbolic factor of some jokes make them acceptable, so a joke about unrealistically dismembering someone is different from one realistically describing rape.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I also think that the ridiculosness and hyperbolic factor of some jokes make them acceptable, so a joke about unrealistically dismembering someone is different from one realistically describing rape.
John Bobbitt might vigorously disagree with you about that.

As for it being a false analogy, I see similarities in extreme physical & mental pain,
with lasting damage from the assault. But if amputations are rare, than would it be
equally acceptable to joke about cutting off a woman's arms or breasts?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
John Bobbitt might vigorously disagree with you about that.
But if amputations are rare, than would it be equally acceptable to joke about cutting off a woman's arms or breasts?

Women in most parts of the world are a disadvantaged group. I think that it is unacceptable to make jokes about a disadvantaged group's suffering unless you belong to them—and even then, only in some contexts.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Women in most parts of the world are a disadvantaged group. I think that it is unacceptable to make jokes about a disadvantaged group's suffering unless you belong to them—and even then, only in some contexts.
These are being given at the University Of Michigan....my alma mater in my home town.
This is not a 3rd world country....it's a wealthy & highly educated populace so progressive, it's known
as "The People's Republic Of Ann Arbor". She's far from being disadvantaged.
In your opinion, is it wrong to joke about mutilating women, but OK to joke about amputating a man's penis?

Btw, she uses her "privilege" & brand of feminism to oppress trans people.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
These are being given at the University Of Michigan....my alma mater in my home town.
This is not a 3rd world country....it's a wealthy & highly educated populace so progressive, it's known
as "The People's Republic Of Ann Arbor". She's far from being disadvantaged.

The United States is the third world of the developed world. It is more sexist than many developed countries. In how many other developed countries would a misogynistic demagogue like Donald Trump even be taken seriously as a presidential candidate?

In your opinion, is it wrong to joke about mutilating women, but OK to joke about amputating a man's penis?

That depends on whether the joke about mutilating women is gendered or not, and it also depends on context. Joking about "blowing a woman to pieces" in playful banter with her is different from joking about cutting off a woman's breasts because you're genuinely angry at her.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The United States is the third world of the developed world. It is more sexist than many developed countries. In how many other developed countries would a misogynistic demagogue like Donald Trump even be taken seriously as a presidential candidate?
Invoking Donald Trump to prove she's a victim of 3rd world type sexism here?
This is utterly specious.
That depends on whether the joke about mutilating women is gendered or not, and it also depends on context. Joking about "blowing a woman to pieces" in playful banter with her is different from joking about cutting off a woman's breasts because you're genuinely angry at her.
This does not directly answer my question.
Again.....

Last edited:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Invoking Donald Trump to prove she's a victim of 3rd world type sexism?
This is utterly specious.

I'm not talking about any individual woman; I'm talking about women as a group in the U.S. In this context, yes, I think they are quite disadvantaged compared to men.

This does not directly answer my question.
Again.....

1) That still depends on whether the joke about mutilating women is gendered (e.g., if it refers to exclusively female body parts). If it is, then yes, I think it's wrong except in very specific contexts, such as when a woman makes it (and even then, not always).

2) If the joke about amputating a man's penis refers to a real incident, then yes, I think it's wrong. If it doesn't and is a mere exaggeration or unrealistic joke, then I'm fine with it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm not talking about any individual woman; I'm talking about women as a group in the U.S. In this context, yes, I think they are quite disadvantaged compared to men.
Wow.
1) That still depends on whether the joke about mutilating women is gendered (e.g., if it refers to exclusively female body parts). If it is, then yes, I think it's wrong except in very specific contexts, such as when a woman makes it (and even then, not always).
2) If the joke about amputating a man's penis refers to a real incident, then yes, I think it's wrong. If it doesn't and is a mere exaggeration or unrealistic joke, then I'm fine with it.
This is extremely sexist, & tolerant of misandrist violence.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Honestly, I wish you were right, but rape statistics alone are enough to show that the U.S. is overall still pretty misogynistic, even if it is far ahead of many (most?) countries in the world as far as the legal rights of women go.
What are the rape & assault statistics for men?
You're relatively OK with women making sexual dismemberment humor about men, but oppose the reverse.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
What are the rape & assault statistics for men?

I haven't looked them up that much, but I do know that they're quite high in prisons. Outside prisons, though? I don't know. I'm also aware that patriarchal values prevent a lot of men from being able to report being raped.

You're relatively OK with women making sexual dismemberment humor about men, but oppose the reverse.

I clarified the contexts in which I think either joke would be acceptable or unacceptable.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm speaking for myself. I don't know if my views represent "feminist thought" (whatever that is supposed to mean) in general.
You identify as a feminist.
Do you think such views that men & women should be treated differently regarding sexual mutilation humor help or harm feminism, either in image or in efficacy?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
You identify as a feminist.
Do you think such views that men & women should be treated differently regarding sexual mutilation humor help or harm feminism, either in image or in efficacy?

I think that's a relatively insignificant issue. When other issues on the table include rape and rape culture, domestic violence, and objectification of women, among other things, accusing feminists of misandry for not minding certain jokes becomes a mere distraction from other issues.