• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was the Buddha a vegetarian?

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
My intention is not to kill animals, but to eat. When I'm eating, I do not harbor the intention "let's kill more animals!"

It sounds like your intention is to satisfy a dietary preference, without much concern about how the meat gets on your plate.

Rick O'Shez

Excuses, excuses...
I stopped eating meat almost 5 years ago. My brain must be malfunctioning.

People come up with all manner of excuses. Basically some people just like meat and don't want to give it up, even when alternatives are readily available. They buy meat neatly packaged and don't care that somebody else had to kill and butcher the animal on their behalf. They know that by buying meat regularly they are adding to the demand for meat, and causing more animals to be killed, but they don't care, they just want their meat.

Last edited:

Kelly of the Phoenix

Even "humane" slaughters are not exactly humane considering that the animal knows it's going to die and is afraid.
This is why I think a better standard would be to eat meat only of animals who have died naturally (though not due to illness or poison, for obvious reasons).

I beg to differ. You are destroying your body by consuming meat, because meat contains viruses, bacteria, carcinogens, ROS, mutagens, LDL cholesterol, etc. Eating meat is a violent action against oneself, as doing drugs.
You've never become seriously ill due to contaminated salads? And remember, plants absorb all those toxins we pollute too.

The vulture is an interesting animal. He eats meat but doesn't kill. One native American tribe calls the vulture "Peace Eagle".
Yes, "scavenging" seems to be the most ethical choice. We cannot stop the meat already in the stores from being there, but we can make policies to reduce the need for actively killing to get it.

It would definitely be a challenge to convert to an all vegetarian diet, especially being raised a meat eater. I don't like the idea of killing anything and the Buddhist view of respect for all life is very appealing. On the other hand, I sure do like meat.
I love me some BBQ beef. Sadly, I lost the ability to digest beef proteins, so it's either poultry or seafood for me, though I admit some of my vegan brother's seitan and stuff is really good too.

You can't say it's a fad when done for ethical reasons.
It's even more of a fad then, though, because it's not done for biologically necessary reasons, just your ethical whim. It's a whim I can respect, but it's only based on how you feel about it, not about biological realities. I concur that animal abuse needs to be stopped (or at least driven to obscurity). I would consider the people, like me, who have to limit consumption due to medical reasons not going for a fad at all, because there are BIOLOGICAL REALITIES involved. If I could eat BBQ beef without vomiting violently again, I'd do it in a heartbeat because I like it. Still, I can't, so ....

Really? You're going to use a science news site as a source? If you look hard enough, you can also find plenty of vegan sites that refute all that nonsense.
If websites are in question, then we need scholarly journals. Have some?

Tell me, how do you think natural herbivores get B12?
Have you established a need in herbivores on a scale like humans? Just because parrots in the Southern hemisphere can eat toxic stuff because they eat clay to deal with it doesn't mean we should eat toxic plants and then eat dirt.

buddhist

It sounds like your intention is to satisfy a dietary preference, without much concern about how the meat gets on your plate.
My intention is to eat to survive.

Do you travel in automobiles or other motorized vehicles, without much concern for the numerous insects which gets killed?

HarihOm

Namaste,

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/vegetarians-are-more-intelligent-says-study-7082629.html

To compare the standards of life of Ancient India to today is not as applicable. The Buddha did stress more vegetarian diet, but allowed people who were usally not allowed to give alms not to give food/meat for helping the monks/holymen survive and increasing merit, the Buddha did stress only to accept meat if it had not been killed for them, buying meat is accepting meat killed specifically for them, if meat was all they had they accepted, there was a stress that monks preferred a vegetarian diet. Siddharta barred nobody from practicing the way of Dharma, it was not exclusive, but vegetarian diet was considered better.

More importantly to Buddhism is making enlightened choices, I cant see how supporting the meat trade by giving them fuel (money) because that is their only aim is an enlightened choice. Did the ancients have such lush supermarkets and options for diet. Many lived either in ignorance or abject poverty, so had very choice with diet.

If one is Vegetarian we can look at old ancient systems like ayurveda that show how to do diet exactly, Vegetarianism is not a new fad, its been part of human history just as much as eating meat but the percentage was less.

Vegetarian diet is part of ones spirituality, it aids meditation, makes one feel calm, more at peace, opens up deeper levels of compassion, spiritual practice sadhana will increase healthy flow of prana, so that will feed the brain and the body just as much as food.

If you have choice in this day and age, then by careful study the of eating of meat is not needed.

Last edited:

Rick O'Shez

My intention is to eat to survive.
Do you travel in automobiles or other motorized vehicles, without much concern about how many insects gets killed?

There are plenty of dietary alternatives to meat, and millions of people "survive" on a vegetarian diet. Your insect argument is a worthless straw-man.

Have you never heard of Right Intention? Your posts reek of self-justification.

buddhist

There are plenty of dietary alternatives to meat, and millions of people "survive" on a vegetarian diet. Your insect argument is a worthless straw-man.

Have you never heard of Right Intention? Your posts reek of self-justification.
I find my traveling example right on point. If the "letter of the law" is followed, then it shows the hypocrisy of many who, though they avoid eating meat, they likely wouldn't blink an eye at causing of the deaths of thousands of insects as a result of traveling in motor vehicles.

There are plenty of alternatives to traveling in motor vehicles, right? Like, walking ... with a broom, to brush away all insects along your path.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Surely you (or all insistent vegetarians here) should refrain from doing so, because you kill innumerable insects as a result - right? Or, perhaps your intention is not to kill those insects, but to travel.

My intention is not to kill animals, but to eat. When I'm eating, I do not harbor the intention "let's kill more animals!"
But you do kill animals for your lust, why when you don't have to ??.

HarihOm

Namaste

Driving a car, breathing, self cannibalism that the Body is subject to is unavoidable, eating meat if one has choice is avoidable. My body is eating its own flesh right now, that is neither moral or immoral, killing animals for profit I would consider immoral, especially the meat industry that is causing human and world environmental, health problems.

I fail to see the connection between the Buddha accepting meat from so called untouchables and modern day supermarket meat. I think that is an unfair comparison.

If one is Buddhist he thinks kindness, in North Thailand they eat frogs, they have very little choice, the land is harsh, hard to grow food, the monks accepts frogs because that all they can offer sometimes. The same monks in general when living outside of Thailand in western nice comfortable places with choice mainly are vegetarian.

It depends on your environment and what choices you have. Obviously not killing animals and causing them pain is more connected to an enlightened mind ?

buddhist

Namaste

Driving a car, breathing, the self cannibalism that the Body is subject to is unavoidable, eating meat if one has choice is. My body is eating its own flesh right now, that is neither moral or immoral, killing animals for profit I would consider immoral, especially the meat industry that is causing human and world environmental, health problems.

I fail to see the connection between the Buddha accepting meat from so called untouchables and modern day supermarket meat. I think that is an unfair comparison.

If one is Buddhist he thinks kindness, in North Thailand they eat frogs, they have very little choice, the land is harsh, hard to grow food, the monks accepts frogs because that all they can offer sometimes. The same monks in general when living outside of Thailand in western nice comfortable places with choice mainly are vegetarian.

It depends on your environment and what choices you have. Obviously not killing animals and causing them pain is more connected to an enlightened mind ?
Wait - why is driving a car "unavoidable"? Are you claiming that there no other options - like walking, with a broom?

HarihOm

Namaste

Yes driving a car in this day is unavoidable, that doesn't mean everyone has a car and drives, but there are cars that will be driven everyday and that is unavoidable.

I can see why you logic of eating meat has not yet reached the full capacity to understand the subject.

buddhist

No, now your being way too picky, if we can help animals then bloody help them, don't make excuses for your delicious appetite.
Will you stop traveling in motor vehicles, to help the thousands of insects you might kill traveling along one trip (vs. the far fewer animals I might consume in my whole lifetime).

buddhist

Namaste

Yes driving a car in this day is unavoidable, that doesn't mean everyone has a car and drives, but there are cars that will be driven everyday and that is unavoidable.

I can see why you logic of eating meat has not yet reached the full capacity to understand the subject.
No, driving a car is not unavoidable. You make a choice to drive, and kill hundreds or thousands in a trip, right?

Sounds like hypocrisy to me.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Will you stop traveling in motor vehicles, to help the thousands of insects you might kill traveling along one trip (vs. the far fewer animals I might consume in my whole lifetime).
Your just making up excuses for your murdering of animals, don't bull **** to me.

Rick O'Shez

I don't kill animals with intent.

Your intent is to satisfy your craving for meat, with apparently little concern for how the meat ends up on your plate.

You're an "early Buddhist", so don't you practice Right Intention, which includes the intention of harmlessness? You expect other to do the killing and butchering, which is wrong livelihood in "early Buddhism", don't you feel like a hypocrite?