• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Mary Magdalene the mother of Jesus?

Something that Bill said has puzzled me. He said that Mary Magdalene was the mother of Jesus. Can't find a verse to disprove or prove this theory. Thanks.

DakotaGypsy

Good heavens! You dare to argue with and question centuries of Christian doctrine?

Even I, an Atheist, don't care to do that.

I have read the Bible. There are many different women named Mary who are discussed in the Bible.

It is clear that Mary of Magdala became acquainted with Jesus in his adulthood and probably was essentially the same age as he, if not younger. Um, no, as a woman of wealth and position, more likely that she was the same age or older.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
No she wasn't.

According to the Gospel of Philip there were three women called Mary (Miryam) that followed Yeshua.

His mother, his sister and his 'companion' Miryam of Magdala.

FFH

Veteran Member
Jesus Christ never married.

No record exists of Jesus ever being married. Had he married, a record would exist.

c0da

No record exists of Jesus ever being married. Had he married, a record would exist.

Unless Jesus accidentally went a bit OTT with some cheap booze and had a shotgun wedding but had it quickly annulled before anyone found out?

Nah, sorry, that was mean. I thought she was his wife or his wife to be, something like that.

Squirt

FFH said:

You don't need to yell. First off, your comments are off topic. Second of all, you don't really know for sure one way or other. None of us do. Third, most Latter-day Saints would disagree with you.

But again, this is off topic. This thread is about Jesus' mother, not His marital status.

FFH

Veteran Member
Mary Magdelene was not the mother, or wife, of Jesus Christ. This is a false teaching, taught by individuals, who's sole purpose is to try to discredit the divinity of Jesus Christ, as the Son of God.

Squirt

FFH said:
Mary Magdelene was not the mother, or wife, of Jesus Christ. This is a false teaching, which sole purpose is to try to discredit the divinity of Jesus Christ, as the Son of God.
I don't even think it's a "teaching" at all. At least I don't know of any Christian denomination that teaches Mary Magdelene was Jesus' mother.

SoyLeche

meh...
FFH said:
Mary Magdelene was not the mother, or wife, of Jesus Christ. This is a false teaching, taught by individuals, who's sole purpose is to try to discredit the divinity of Jesus Christ, as the Son of God.
If a little thing like Jesus being married is going to destroy your faith in Him, you need to work on your faith.

FFH

Veteran Member
Just like the battery acid thing, I am sick of hearing that Mary Magdelene was Jesus's wife or mother, or that Jesus was ever married. These are ALL false teachings, meant to discredit Jesus Christ and his holiness.

He was our sinless sacrifice who became ALL things to ALL people. He had to suffer ALL things, which included not being married.

Squirt

FFH said:
Just like the battery acid thing, I am sick of hearing that Mary Magdelene was Jesus's wife or mother, or that Jesus was ever married. These are ALL false teachings, meant to discredit Jesus Christ and his holiness.

He was our sinless sacrifice who became ALL things to ALL people. He had to suffer ALL things, which included not being married.
FFH, you are determined to make an issue of Jesus' maritial status, aren't you. As you may or may not know, there is no official LDS doctrine on this subject. However, there are many General Auhorities who do believe that Jesus was married. So rather than pronounce any of this as fact, why don't you simply state, "In my opinion, these are false teachings"? Whether Jesus Christ was or was not married is beside the point. He would be our Savior either way and believing He is or may have been married in no way "discredits" Him. Marriage isn't exactly a sin in God's eyes.

FFH

Veteran Member
The whole "Jesus was married thing" is a hot topic now, being that Dan Brown's movie "The Da Vinci Code" is set to be released in theaters soon. It seems to be a widely accepted false teaching that Jesus was married.

For some reason I read the post this way, "Was Jesus Christ ever married to Mary Magdelene ???" Instead of how it actually reads. I had a fuse in my brain blow out I guess. It just strikes me funny that people think that Jesus had a thing for Mary Magdelene, or that she was his mother.

She was a woman who had sinned much. Those who sin greatly also love and appreciate their Savior greatly. This explains the great devotion and dedication Mary Magdelene had for Jesus Christ. It was a pure Christ-like love, which she had for him, because he had saved her from hell, and an eternal torment, and she knew it.

This love and devotion, for Jesus, could also be considered a motherly-like love, and she could therefore also be confused as being the mother of Jesus.

FFH

Veteran Member
This scripture applies to the message I was trying to get across about Mary Magdelene, and her love and devotion to Jesus Christ, who saved her from her awful state of hell and torment she must have experienced in her life.

This scripture has been at the forefront of my mind for years, and is the key to understanding Mary Magdelene and her devoted service to the Savior.

Jesus Christ's love is ALL powerful, and ALL encompasing. It fills your whole being with strength, faith and power. You feel as if you need nothing in this world, it satisfies all your needs and wants.

Luke 7: 47

Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much, but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little.

This verse speaks loudly of Christ's love for us. If we devote ourselves to him, as did Mary Magdelene, he will pour out his love abundantly towards us. Mary Magdelene felt Christ's pure powerful and all encompasing eternal love. I don't think that anyone else on earth at that time had ever felt the love of Christ quite as powerfully as she did at that time.

I can see Mary Magdelene and I know who she was, after Christ touched her with his ALL encompasing love. She became a brand new person, the type of person you would want to be around, because she was a mirror of Christ, and how we should all be, totally devoted to Christ, looking not to left or right, or thinking of herself. She was full of the pure love of God, which is ALL consuming. Indeed she was fearless, when it came to associating with Christ, and who cared little about the dangers and ridiculings of associating a man like him, and Jesus felt the samel about associating with her. Together they broke the traditions of their time. Mary Magdelene, along with Jesus would have been a pair to be reconned with. She was a powerful witness of who Christ was, and she reflected Christ's love that had taken over her life. She was a rare find, indeed. She gave us an example of how we should devote ourselves to the Lord, with all our hearts.

Bishka

Veteran Member
FFH said:

Not necessarily. To go a bit off subject then, Christ never commands us to do anything within the our church(LDS) without doing it himself first, right? We've had this discussion before and you just blew me off. So if he commands us to get married, wouldn't he have gotten married?

FFH

Veteran Member
beckysoup61 said:
Not necessarily. To go a bit off subject then, Christ never commands us to do anything within the our church(LDS) without doing it himself first, right? We've had this discussion before and you just blew me off. So if he commands us to get married, wouldn't he have gotten married?
Christ had to be ALL things to ALL people. If he was married then he would not be able to relate to, or suffer the shame of, not being married. Have you ever taken notice of those in your ward or neighborhood that never married, because nobody wanted to marry them ??? It is an aweful thing to have to endure. I am sure you know of at least one person that has lived a life of shame, because nobody wanted to marry them. They have lived a single life, and have not quite fitted into the community, especially the LDS community, which stresses marriage and family.

This is what I am talking about, when I say that Christ had to be ALL things to ALL people. He had to be able to relate to ALL people, whoever they might be. If he had married then the unmarried person would not relate to him. He had to decrease so that we might increase. He had to submit to the will of the father, which meant focusing on his ministry. Just think of it in terms of an LDS missionary going on his mission. He is required to postpone marriage until he has finished his mission. Christ was required to do the same thing, postpone marriage until he had finished his mission here on earth.

If Christ had married, he would not have been able to relate to ALL people, especially to the millions of people who will suffer the shame of not marrying in this life.

FFH

Veteran Member
Christ had to suffer ALL shame and ALL pain, so that we would not have to suffer.