• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

was jesus gay?

ragordon168

Sir Elton John has recently reopened the debate on the sexuality of jesus. of course conservative christian groups have rubbished these claims.

i know this has probably been discussed millions of times but i was wondering what people thought about this.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
I would say this is a strong possibility. I doubt He would have been allowed to do some of the things He is said to have done if He had a woman hanging off of his neck 24/7. If a straight man were to try and walk on water he would start thinking about some silly fight with his wife and lose his concentration and then splash! Turn water into wine? He would get the lecture about already drinking too much and all that jazz, not to mention being able to go to the party in the first place. Yep! I do have to say this is a very strong possibility. :yes:

footprints

Sir Elton John has recently reopened the debate on the sexuality of jesus. of course conservative christian groups have rubbished these claims.

i know this has probably been discussed millions of times but i was wondering what people thought about this.

I would say, Jesus could be gay, if you like to look at people this way. Gay people tend to see gay people everwhere. Gay people tell me, they recognise their own kind and their own kind recognise them.

Adso

I thought he was asexual?

First, do we even know Jesus had a penis?

Theologically, He was fully human, so yeah, He had a penis.

Without testosterone how would he have grown that great beard?

Edward Gorey was asexual and he had an amazing beard. I don't think asexuality has anything to do with testosterone levels.

As for the main topic, there is no evidence that Jesus was gay. It sounds like wishful projection from Sir Elton John at best.

Adso

I would think its a joke, Elton is an atheist I believe

From what I've read, he admires the teachings and message of Christ, but disapproves of organized religion. His full quote on the matter:

"I think Jesus was a compassionate, super-intelligent gay man who understood human problems. On the cross, he forgave the people who crucified him. Jesus wanted us to be loving and forgiving. I don't know what makes people so cruel. Try being a gay woman in the Middle East -- you're as good as dead."

It doesn't seem to be in a joking context.

Just_me_Mike

Nuff said...

YMCA.JPG

ragordon168

As for the main topic, there is no evidence that Jesus was gay. It sounds like wishful projection from Sir Elton John at best.

don't know if its evidence but i remember something about jewish society back then demanding early marriage. for jesus to be unmarried and hanging around with a group of men seems strange.

why a possibly gay man (at least not of the social norm) would be seen as a leader (back then) is odd to me.

Smoke

Done here.
One of the funny things to me is that John the Baptist isn't supposed to have been married, either, but nobody tries to match him up with any disciples, male or female. John's got no Magdalene, no Beloved Disciple. Poor John; nobody wants him. They all want Jesus.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
Jesus probably wasn't gay, but his earthly grandfathers were.

Matthew 1:26
and Jacob the father of Joseph, the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, ho is called Christ.
Luke 3:21
Now Jsus himself was about thirty yars old when he began his ministry. He was the son, so it was thought, of Joseph, the son of Heli...
The only logical conclusion is that Joseph had been adopted by a gay couple, Heli and Jacob.
:D