• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Jesus a Heretic

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
He was at odds with the priesthood because the vast majority were a bunch of greedy, deceiving, careless, irresponsible hypocrites who had ignored important Jewish laws in favour of their own comfort and greed, and Jesus wanted the old laws fulfilled, including the poor laws.

He was set against the whole Temple fiasco......... so they set out to get him done away with.
so he was a heretic in their eyes?

heresy

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
First, to agree or disagree with Judaism of the time does not determine if one is a heretic. There were several of different schools of belief competing beliefs within Judaism at the time.

Second, to be considered a heretic you would have to make a claim like being an incarnate God, or worship graven images or idols to be considered a heretic.

why would the people stone a prophet, or kill one, if they didn't think him/her a prophet?

sealchan

was jesus for/against judaism? would jesus be for/against today's christianity?

I would say that Jesus saw himself as a Jew but he also saw himself as bringing in a new understanding. So he was critical of and supportive of the tradition. No black and white here but gray.

I'm highly confident that were Jesus to return he would feel the same way (for different reasons) about today's Christianity as he did about yesterday's Judaism.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
why would the people stone a prophet, or kill one, if they didn't think him/her a prophet?

Claiming to be a prophet is not heresy, but it can get you stoned or crucified by the Romans. Tough bot heresy Jesus claimed to be King of the Jews, Messiah. and some may have thought him a heretic claiming to be physically the Son of God. and/or God.

Last edited:

Kelly of the Phoenix

37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!
But it's a lie. Hardly any prophets were murdered by "the Jews".

Jesus (if he existed) was a Jew, probably an apocalyptic preacher. If alive today he wouldn't understand how his teachings became Christianity.
Plus, the lack of said apocalypse would be highly disappointing to him considering how much he railed on and on about it.

Judah divorced the Lord, by paying 30 pieces of silver for him
Who witnessed the transaction?

but it helps me to believe him as a real person because only a real person can bring the message up from rhetoric to real life possibilities.
But in terms of books, how can you tell the character you're reading about is real and has good ideas or it's just the author is real and has good ideas?

Political drama.

And again, the killing of prophets thing is rarely true. The idea actually comes from stories made up around Jesus' time.

about righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer
The pure in heart can see God.

sealchan

But it's a lie. Hardly any prophets were murdered by "the Jews".

Plus, the lack of said apocalypse would be highly disappointing to him considering how much he railed on and on about it.

Who witnessed the transaction?

But in terms of books, how can you tell the character you're reading about is real and has good ideas or it's just the author is real and has good ideas?

Political drama.

And again, the killing of prophets thing is rarely true. The idea actually comes from stories made up around Jesus' time.

The pure in heart can see God.

Willis Barnstone made the argument that Judas is a barely concealed pseudonym of "a Jew" and was a character meant to symbolize the early Christian author's anger and resentment toward the Jews who dismissed Jesus' teachings or even spoke out against Jesus. In other words, the character of Judas is allegorical for "those traitorous Jews".

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Actually the Jews of the time expected the Messiah King of the Jews to come with an army to defeat the Romans and restore the Hebrew Kingdom. Jesus would be stoned for making this claim without an army and causing trouble for the Jews and the Romans. The Jews suffer under the Romans when anyone makes this claim with the Romans in charge. Rome would crucify anyone making this claim for rebellion against Rome and they did just that. There were several who claimed to fulfill the prophecy and tried to raise an army to defeat the Romans during this period, but they squished by the Romans, and not at the time considered heretics by the Jews.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
How do you know when something has disappeared from being ? Are your senses the only way to determine what exists ?

i go by what the scriptures said.

Just as people are destined to die once, and after that to face judgment,

Then Peter began to speak: "I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism