• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Want to become christan but....

nightwolf

My whole family is christains. I would love more then anything to able to become a christain, but I have a few questions. Would it be right to become a christain and still have my own beliefs of what God is to me? Like I believe he is one but split many ways? I also own a bible and sometimes read it and find myself confused and not agreeing with it? Like for instance its says an eye for an eye then says turn the other cheek, or like things in the beginning like Adam and Eve, we would all have the same DNA if we came from them. I do belive however that Jesus did come to earth to wash away our sins, so where does this leave me? :help:

prettypinkpurse

As a Christian (Catholic) I have to say that I love my religion and accept it beyond a shadow of a doubt, but I can see how someone looking in could have quite a few questions. First thing's first, if you can't accept the Christian God for what he is, then you're paddeling up the wrong river. The first commandment says it best "I am the Lord, your God, you shall have no other gods before Me... you shall not make yourself a graven image of any likeness". Essentially people have made gods to suit themselves for eons and God has revealed what he's like through the Bible. As with any other relationship, if you can't accept Him for who He is, then maybe it wasn't meant to be.

Wen you say that he's one but split in many ways, St. Patrick made the best analogy of using a clover to describe Him by saying that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are one in the same, but each aspect of him is still uniquely different and apart from the rest.

An eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth is from the old testament and was basically turned around by Jesus when he says 'when someone slaps you on the left cheek, turn to him your right' and it was him teaching about forgiveness. As Christians, we follow what Jesus has taught us. That being said, I don't mean to say that we should completely ignore the teachings of the old testament but put more focus on Jesus' teachings.

Finally, as for Adam and Eve, I don't know that much about DNA and how long it takes for the gene pool to mix and change, but I'm sure that after thousands of years of marriage between one clan and another that there would be a mix of various DNA with stronger and weaker characteristics that appear over time.

nightwolf

Thanx for the reply. When I said I see God in many ways I meant by I kinda split him if it makes sense. Like he is one With both male and female aspects, like he made the sun (male side) he also made flowers (female side). I was raised baptist so I do know quite a bit about the bible. I do not/or would not ever dispel what the bible says God is. I would not be creating a God to suit me, I would pray to God as a whole. And I also know about the trinity.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Nightwolf,

Hello

I would love more then anything to able to become a christain
Great! :)

Like for instance its says an eye for an eye then says turn the other cheek,
Do you disagree with the "turn the other cheek" philosophy? Or are you confused because some things in the New Covenant are different from the Old Covenant?

like things in the beginning like Adam and Eve, we would all have the same DNA if we came from them.
There was a study a bit ago that showed through mitochondrial DNA that we do descend from one line, I believe.

I do belive however that Jesus did come to earth to wash away our sins, so where does this leave me?
If you believe in God the Father and Jesus as the savior, this is the base of Christianity

If you believe that Jesus is the savior, and that the God of the Bible is true, excuse me if this is blunt, why are you a wiccan?

If you have any questions about the Bible or Christianity that you want to post here, go ahead.

Scott1

nightwolf,

Would it be right to become a christain and still have my own beliefs of what God is to me?
Absolutely fine.... we all have our individual beliefs of what God means to us...
Like I believe he is one but split many ways?
You'd have to be more specific, but I think I get ya..... and that's fine. God is not just the God you read in the Bible.... God is love, God is all things good..... and many times Christians get wrapped up in quoting scripture and forget that God is more than the written word.
I also own a bible and sometimes read it and find myself confused and not agreeing with it? Like for instance its says an eye for an eye then says turn the other cheek, or like things in the beginning like Adam and Eve, we would all have the same DNA if we came from them.
There is more to faith than the Bible..... become a Christian and get yourself a good study Bible and things will become more clear..... but never forget that God's grace is something inside you... not something you read about.
I do belive however that Jesus did come to earth to wash away our sins, so where does this leave me?
In God's loving hands!

Peace and welcome!
Scott

nightwolf

The reason I consider/ed myself wiccan is because I have studied it and lived by its rituals for the past 6 years or so. I like to have pure understanding of whatever I belive in and put all my being into it. I also find myself alot of times going to bat so to say for the christain faith. I am very spiritual and feel it is very important to have a belief system and to adhere to the words set forth by your faith. I had a friend who was a pastor of a church, he came to my home so I would help fix his computer (I build them) and I told him I was wiccan at the time and I never heard from him again. I want my religion to be one of open mind, I cannot see myself telling someone or dispeling someone because my faith tells me they are wrong. Somewhere in the bible if I remember currectly it does say its up to each person to work out there own salvation. I think I will change myself to christain on these boards. I also see the uphill battle with people in this day in age with certain things like christmas is now "the holidays", the 10 cammandments are being taken out of public places, the in God we trusk on the very dollars we spend is being looked at in a bad way. These are all things that are spoke of in the bible and are proof in my eyes that the end is getting nearer. Our ancestors lived in a world where it was ok to be christain and no one was killing there parents, now we take it out of the public domain and parents our dying at the hands of there children. I thank you all for pointing me in the direction I should be, and if I am ever in doubt of my faith, I will turn to you good folks on this board.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
I like to have pure understanding of whatever I belive in and put all my being into it.
Me too, and this place is great for getting an indepth understanding of religion, I can sure tell you that my faith has been refined greatly and I thank the Lord that I found(or was led to) this place.

I had a friend who was a pastor of a church, he came to my home so I would help fix his computer (I build them) and I told him I was wiccan at the time and I never heard from him again.
This always kinda gets me heated, I just don't understand why someone should deny friendship based on faith.

Edit: You know, this place is like a fly strip for people from Kentucky :woohoo:

Linus

nightwolf said:
Would it be right to become a christain and still have my own beliefs of what God is to me? Like I believe he is one but split many ways?
No one knows exactly what God is, nor everything about Him. I personally don't see God as having any gender at all. But I wouldn't recommend making God into just whatever you want. If you are seriously considering becoming a Christian, it is important to remember that you and your views are not important, but rather that God is most important. You can't pick and choose what parts of the Bible you want to believe.

nightwolf said:
I also own a bible and sometimes read it and find myself confused and not agreeing with it? Like for instance its says an eye for an eye then says turn the other cheek,
An eye for an eye only referred to criminal cases. It was the system of criminal judgment that was to be used by the Israelites to punish those who commit crimes against their fellow Israelites. It was not to be used as a means of personal vengence.

nightwolf said:
or like things in the beginning like Adam and Eve, we would all have the same DNA if we came from them.
You have to remember that Adam and Eve were probably genetically perfect and pure, being created directly from God. That, on top of the fact that wives for Cain and Seth could have been created directly from God as well, means that there is plenty of room for genetic variation. But that is merely a matter of opinion.

nightwolf said:
I do belive however that Jesus did come to earth to wash away our sins, so where does this leave me? :help:
It looks like you have faith in the basic message of Christianity, but you don't see eye to eye on every issue with the Bible. I have tried here to explain the examples you have proided, but if you can't open your mind to the complete word of God, then I wouldn't recommend Christianity for you. Don't get me wrong, I would love to know that an other soul has been saved, But if you are not completely dedicated, with a strong desire to learn the will of God, then I would rather not see you a christian at all. No offense.

Revelation 3:15-16: I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm–neither hot nor cold–I am about to spit you out of my mouth.

Hope this helps.

nightwolf

Linus said:
It looks like you have faith in the basic message of Christianity, but you don't see eye to eye on every issue with the Bible. I have tried here to explain the examples you have proided, but if you can't open your mind to the complete word of God, then I wouldn't recommend Christianity for you. Don't get me wrong, I would love to know that an other soul has been saved, But if you are not completely dedicated, with a strong desire to learn the will of God, then I would rather not see you a christian at all. No offense.

Revelation 3:15-16: I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm–neither hot nor cold–I am about to spit you out of my mouth.

Hope this helps.
I understand what you are saying. But like I have said before, when I commit to a faith I will go at it with my full being.

I must had been about 22 years old and I was a big time sinner and I knew this. I prayed and asked for forgiveness. I read the bible every chance I got. I had a really foul mouth at the time and was drinking wayyyyyyyy to much. I studied and prayed all the time until my bad mouth just in my eyes went away, and I stopped drinking. I was praying one night and thought I was at the end of my rope and had nowhere to turn. I was looking for porpose in my life. I asked the Lord to give me a sign, please tell me why I am here. That night I had a dream I was a preacher in a church. So unsure of the dream I prayed the next morning and asked for some clarity to me dream. Next night I had the same exact dream I had had the night before. I am a person who likes to be a walking testemony to the things that are great about God/the bible. I feel in this day as christains, it is important to be an example of the christain faith, and try to show others thats its/he's working in your life every day and for that me/you are better people. God is the light, he has now lit my torch, and it has come time to shine that light on my fellow man.

Greyprophet

Listen to Gary Amirault. He has a sight. He hears the Father as I.

If you really want to learn something about The real God who is Love...and why there are differences in the scriptures...listen to his audio's.

Peace in truth.

Doodlebug02

nightwolf said:
My whole family is christains. I would love more then anything to able to become a christain, but I have a few questions. Would it be right to become a christain and still have my own beliefs of what God is to me? Like I believe he is one but split many ways? I also own a bible and sometimes read it and find myself confused and not agreeing with it? Like for instance its says an eye for an eye then says turn the other cheek, or like things in the beginning like Adam and Eve, we would all have the same DNA if we came from them. I do belive however that Jesus did come to earth to wash away our sins, so where does this leave me? :help:
Hey, don't worry. You can consider yourself to be a Christian and still have your own beliefs of what God is to you. I am definitely that way. My Christianity does not fit a textbook description for the most part. Also, remember that the Bible is not perfect. There are translation errors and some other minor errors in it. You don't have to take the Bible literally. Also remember that God is not going to strike you down for making a mistake. God loves us and is all merciful. Don't believe everything without questioning. Also remember that it is perfectly fine to have doubts. :)

God Bless and feel free to PM me if you need more advice.

Holly

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Hey Nightwolf...

It boils down to one thing... is the tomb empty?

If Jesus did what he said he was going to do... die, be buried and on the third day be resurected, then everything else is trivial.

It's not that I don't "agree" with the account in Genesis, but I realize that I don't fully understand it. Contrary to popular belief, you DON'T have to fully understand every verse in the Bible to believe in it. In fact Peter tells us that Paul can be very difficult to understand, and the word constantly refers to us understanding him more and more as we trust and obey what we DO understand. I am quite content to let the Spirit divulge truths to me as the Spirit sees fit. You won't find me trying to make science fit what I believe or vice versa.

Isaiah 55:8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. 9 "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

You see, we can't always understand God. But we CAN always trust him.