• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Want a gun? Not until police see what's in your social media history.

suncowiam

I certainly see the merit in that. And that is the system that the U.S. uses. The U.S. system is designed to treat these infringements with strict scrutiny, amd use caution to hopefully ensure that any curtailment of an individuals right is done specifically to address the harm in question.

Yes, I understand that and hence, I didn't technically disagree with you when inferring the Constitution.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I never asserted it depended on one. I think it depends on both. Again, I am not a prohibitionist. I favor control. Part of that control is forcing people that want to own guns to train to a level and then perform periodic training and testing. I don't see that being done here in the US to a level that I feel is safe for society. Definitely, no one needs to own an automatic rifle [which I know is already banned but pointing out the case of weapons as opposed to users.]
Automatic rifles are not technically banned. They are heavily regulated. Speech is not banned in China, it is just heavily regulated.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
For myself sure. I'm personally quite happy with a single barrel shotgun with direct load, or a bolt or lever action caliber rifle. My love for guns stems from my own nostalgia. Either from history or past events in my own life.

My favorite rifle of all time is a lever action Winchester like that of the Old West. I also find musket shooting with black powder rifles extremely intriguing like walking back into time to get a feel of what it must be like to have been a soldier shooting them in the Revolutionary or civil War. Not that I would ever actually want to be in such conflicts themselves.
I come from a family that has a long history in the US. My father was a collector of many things including knives, swords, firearms and telegraph, telephone and power line insulators. At its prime, his gun collection was pretty awesome and included examples going back to the 1700's up to the 1960's. My family has owned, possessed and used firearms of various sorts going back many generations.

His interest extended enthusiastically into history, so growing up, we learned about the firearms as well as the historical context around them.

I really like some of the old Harrington and Richardson single shot, shotguns. I grew up hunting in hilly, wooded terrain mixed with rolling open pastures and found them to be versatile and effective for hunting a variety of game in those conditions. They were inexpensive, durable, and I like the shorter, overall length. I even used one once that had interchangeable barrels and included a barrel chambered for .30-30.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I am not sure if I agree that a gun does not provide reasonable defense in Japan.
Unless there is a very specific reason and purpose for you to have one, such as serving in their national defenses, it's incredibly difficult to get a gun in Japan and they're very rare. It won't provide reasonable defense there because the other person most likely will not have one and basic self defense measures will be more to par with what would typically be faced. And Japan is considered one of the safest nations on the planet.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Unless there is a very specific reason and purpose for you to have one, such as serving in their national defenses, it's incredibly difficult to get a gun in Japan and they're very rare.

Tea in China, Shadow Wolf. That makes no difference to my point.

It won't provide reasonable defense there because the other person most likely will not have one and basic self defense measures will be more to par with what would typically be faced. And Japan is considered one of the safest nations on the planet.
This is not relevant. A gun qould be a reasonable defense against two attackers armed with knives. Geography and culture make no difference. Either you missed this point or you want to gloss over it. We are discussing a reasonable scenario, and an efficient, effective and practical way to defend oneself in that scenario.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
This is not relevant. A gun qould be a reasonable defense against two attackers armed with knives. Geography and culture make no difference. Either you missed this point or you want to gloss over it. We are discussing a reasonable scenario, and an efficient, effective and practical way to defend oneself in that scenario.
In that scenario there are many non-lethal options that are viable. A gun for self defense in Japan is overkill. It's not that violent as it is, and if you are attacked it's very unlikely your life is at risk (Japan has few murders each year). And having it is very likely to get you in a lot of trouble (deported, as you would be a foreigner). And despite that, you just don't need one there as you'd be the only person within a very large radius who has one.

Curious George

Veteran Member
In that scenario there are many non-lethal options that are viable. A gun for self defense in Japan is overkill. It's not that violent as it is, and if you are attacked it's very unlikely your life is at risk (Japan has few murders each year). And having it is very likely to get you in a lot of trouble (deported, as you would be a foreigner). And despite that, you just don't need one there as you'd be the only person within a very large radius who has one.
You simply do not understand. I am not discussing whether or not it is a good idea to have a gun in Japan.

I am sayimg that when faced with two attackers with knives, a gun is an efficient, effective and practical method of defense. I am not saying that it is the best. I am not sayimg it is the wisest. I am not saying that no other methods exist. I am saying that it is effective, efficient and practical.