• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Walking Programs/ Pedometers

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
In an attempt to get fit, I've started walking. So far, it looks like I can do about 1.7 miles daily. (I've only been walking for a week now, so I still at the stage where I consider this a good length, hehee!) With things like this, I tend to do better if I have a way of making the distance fun. For example, years ago I had a silly little 'pocket monster' thing that would count each step one had taken. By walking a certain amount of steps, you could feed the critter and buy it things and whatnot. I don't know if it was the cartoon factor of the idea that you had an outside motivation for walking, but it made getting exercize a lot easier.

Does anyone know of a pedometer that might work along those lines? Or, for that matter, perhaps an online group that encourages walking? Does anyone walk, themselves?

Bishka

Veteran Member
I'm trying to walk more as well. I'm in the process of getting a pedometer. Maybe we could set up a goal for each of us??!!?

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
In a few centuries Americans will walk more. In Europe, it's too annoying to drive most places. The hastle of driving the narrow streets, finding parking - all of that... it's just easier to walk.

Also the downtowns often are pedestrian-only streets - so you have to walk. Downtown Sarajevo, for example, has lots of areas where you have to walk - no choice.

47l2bo8.jpg
2mc7g4p.jpg

4ddoo6v.jpg
2guw6yq.jpg

That'll probably happen too in America eventually - and then there'll be no need for walking programs!

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
beckysoup61 said:
I'm trying to walk more as well. I'm in the process of getting a pedometer. Maybe we could set up a goal for each of us??!!?

That's a brilliant idea! (I know Wal-Mart sells pedometers for about 5 dollars. I could send you one, if you want!) Like an RF walking program!

I think in towns that's very true, Djamila. As much as I love the country, I find myself wishing I lived a bit closer to town, since my van has broken down.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Feathers in Hair said:
I think in towns that's very true, Djamila. As much as I love the country, I find myself wishing I lived a bit closer to town, since my van has broken down.

It's the perfect turn of events! Now you can walk to town. It'd be like Little House on the Prairie. :D

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i don't do much walking by living on campus at uni - i need to be doing more, and i could do with doing a bit of weight training as well, come to think of it.

i just lack motivation - although, Sam needs to be doing some more exercise as well, maybe we could make a game out of it, with some pleasant rewards for good attendance and achievement :D

next academic year, i'm living off campus, so will need to walk 10 minutes to the bus station each day - or cycle all the way, but ony in the summer lol.

evearael

I love walking! Though I'm trying to take easy until I talk to the doctor in the morning. I would love to get a pedometer and join you around mid-April when I should be safe from a premature labor... and by then the rainy season should be over too! :)

Bishka

Veteran Member
My mum is sending me a pedometer. I'm going to start tracking how much I walk during the week for one week and then try to increase it the next.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Curses, Mike! I think the motivation Sam might be able to give would far surpass any of a group we made online! :D

Should I start seeing if there's a forum-helper or anything that would help us set up a RF group for this? Or shall we just post our steps or how far we've walked? *jumps up and down eagerly*

jacquie4000

I take my dog on a long walk everyday other than that I am a gym girl. I love the ellipitical machines I usually do 30 to 45 minutes on them. But forget the treadmill, when it keeps speeding up I am afraid I will fall off...I am not kidding.:D

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Wheeee! I haven't used elliptical machines often, but I love them when I do! And we share the same fear with the treadmill. Though, in my case, it's because I know I'll fall off!

jacquie4000

Wheeee! I haven't used elliptical machines often, but I love them when I do! And we share the same fear with the treadmill. Though, in my case, it's because I know I'll fall off!

Me to I actually did ....lol So I do stay away yes I do.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Ellipticals are my favorite. Treadmills hurt my knees (arthritis) and well, I'm a bigger-chested girl, so it's no fun to run on them anyways.

Ellipticals work out my whole lower body an dI feel like I've actually done a work out after it.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
jacquie4000 said:
Me to I actually did ....lol So I do stay away yes I do.

the ones at the gym i used to go to in Nottingham had height adjustment, if you put it too high and two fast the machine itself falls over, regardless of who's on it lol.

cturne

servant of God
This answer is a bit pricey, but it's the latest in cool technology. The Nike Ipod Sport kit works with the Ipod Nano as a workout companion. Apple has teamed up with Nike, who makes the shoes that the little thing fits specially in to (but you can probably make it work in another shoe). Here is a website that explains it really well: http://walking.about.com/od/pedometer1/fr/nikeplusipod.htm

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Thanks for the information, Cturne! That sounds interesting!

I was thinking about this last night and wondering if maybe we should have like a sub-sub forum (if that's possible) so that we can discuss our progress, walking or other exercise and give motivation to one another. Does that sound interesting to anyone else?

Bishka

Veteran Member
Feathers in Hair said:
Thanks for the information, Cturne! That sounds interesting!

I was thinking about this last night and wondering if maybe we should have like a sub-sub forum (if that's possible) so that we can discuss our progress, walking or other exercise and give motivation to one another. Does that sound interesting to anyone else?

It does, I'm just not sure where it would fit.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
If you're exceedingly lucky and have well situated friends, you could try the ChrisP method.

Step 1. Convince your friends to rent a house at the top of a hill.

Step 2. Convince your friends to buy a weight bench

Step 3. Convince your friends to buy wharfdale speakers.

Step 4. Walk the 2 kilometres (1.5 miles) up the very steep hill

Step 5. Turn on Stereo

Step 6. 20 reps 20Kg, 10 reps 40 kg 5 reps 60 kg, repeat in reverse

Step 7. Open whiskey you brought with you

Step 8 turn the music up and play cards all night.

I gotta tell ya. It works for me :D