• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Walka Water Works

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Went for a walk around Walka Water Works with my daughter and son-in-law today and managed to capture 2 birds I haven't photographed before. The 1st was a pair of Black-fronted Dotterels. Walka Water Works - Wikipedia

DSCN5339.JPG

DSCN5371.JPG

DSCN5386.JPG

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
The 2nd was a pair of Common Blackbirds which are not so common in my parts which is a good thing because they are introduced and quite the pest further to the south.

DSCN5415.JPG
DSCN5433.JPG

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
That's a big fly, but not out of the realm of a robber fly and it may have been there for the cicadas.

It was smaller than other cicadas I've seen. I was assuming cicada because of the mind melting amount of screaming going on around me. I'm sure you're right.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
It was smaller than other cicadas I've seen. I was assuming cicada because of the mind melting amount of screaming going on around me. I'm sure you're right.
The more you look at insects, you start to see general patterns that help identify them to order or family. But those are initial instincts and must be verified as best as possible. I might be right. I think I am. But identification from images and without keys is always at least half guess work.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
The more you look at insects, you start to see general patterns that help identify them to order or family. But those are initial instincts and must be verified as best as possible. I might be right. I think I am. But identification from images and without keys is always at least half guess work.

I'm not sure what you mean by keys. I'm guessing not the car keys.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
A dichotomous key to families, genera or species often using characters that require examination under a microscope and sometime dissection.

Many species are separated based on the structure of the male genitalia. You get to be an expert in bug junk.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Here are some examples of keys for insects. They exist for a lot of plant and animal groups to help with identification.

Key to adult insects - Amateur Entomologists' Society (AES)

https://frst307.sites.olt.ubc.ca/files/2017/09/Dichotomous-key-to-Orders.pdf

https://extension.entm.purdue.edu/401Book/pdf/order_pictorial_key.pdf

I haven't looked, but there may be some available for Australian insects. It wouldn't surprise me.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Went for a walk around Walka Water Works with my daughter and son-in-law today and managed to capture 2 birds I haven't photographed before. The 1st was a pair of Black-fronted Dotterels. Walka Water Works - Wikipedia

View attachment 69888
View attachment 69889
View attachment 69890
It's an attractive little bird. I'm guessing little. I was going to guess about the size of a killdeer, but you may not know that species for it to be of use in relative measurement.