• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Walka Water Works

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Here are some examples of keys for insects. They exist for a lot of plant and animal groups to help with identification.

Key to adult insects - Amateur Entomologists' Society (AES)

https://frst307.sites.olt.ubc.ca/files/2017/09/Dichotomous-key-to-Orders.pdf

https://extension.entm.purdue.edu/401Book/pdf/order_pictorial_key.pdf

I haven't looked, but there may be some available for Australian insects. It wouldn't surprise me.

I need to pay more attention with bugs, they've always interested me but I've never done any kind of study. A half decent photo is usually good enough for me with birds. I understand your hardship with my photos and attempts at description because I have no idea what to look for. I get it with birds all the time... "I saw a bird that was light underneath and had dark wings, what is it?". That is word for word what I was sent just the other day. So I understand your pain with my questions lol

Last edited:

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
It's an attractive little bird. I'm guessing little. I was going to guess about the size of a killdeer, but you may not know that species for it to be of use in relative measurement.

Killdeer is much bigger according to the description I found, they're 590 to 630mm wingspan, the Dotterel is 105-120mm. Both are types of Plover.

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
Killdeer is much bigger according to the description I found, they're 590 to 630mm wingspan, the Dotterel is 105-120mm. Both are types of Plover.
So much smaller than I imagined.

I have to keep in mind my relative associations only apply to those familiar with the fauna of my area. It's a prejudice of short-sightedness.