• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wait a second, maybe evoloution and creationism can co-exist...

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
...but following buddhist logic, if time works backwards, then he could have made man in one day... then all those days before mans creation would have come into being after god made the first one
I wouldn't call this "Buddhist logic". Plenty of Buddhists I know are quite rational. This seems... not rational.
well he said that from the outside he was able to recognise that time worked backwards, so, the beginning would actually refer to what we usually consider to be the end.....

creation... hmmm... i think he said that everything is a manifestation of the mind as it tries to make sense of everything... so I guess creation would be imagined. The first thought would be the first creation???
"As it" implies simultaneousness. "First" implies the flow of time. Again: what does any of this mean outside of time?

Parsimony

Trying to mess around with the way time works won't fix the incompatibilities between creationism and evolution:

(1) In creationism, Adam and Eve were the only humans alive at the time of their creation and they had no parents. In evolution, there was never a point where the human population only consisted of two people and every human always had parents.
(2) In creationism, Adam was created directly from dust or clay. In evolution, every human was born.
(3) In creationism, the only living things that are truly related to each other are those that can trace their ancestry back to an original, created kind. In evolution, all living things are related to each other.
(4) In creationism, whales and birds came before land animals. In evolution, land animals came before whales and birds.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Apparently, whilst in a very deep state of meditation, Buddha was able to step outside of time itself, he stepped outside change. He then realised that way we perceive the passage of time is actually completely wrong. He said that time actually works in reverse to the way that we would expect.
Doesn't this mean that God could have created man in the beginning, and then after this creation, billions of years (which we would usually presume to be previous) were brought into existence?
Huh???

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Apparently, whilst in a very deep state of meditation, Buddha was able to step outside of time itself, he stepped outside change. He then realised that way we perceive the passage of time is actually completely wrong. He said that time actually works in reverse to the way that we would expect.
Doesn't this mean that God could have created man in the beginning, and then after this creation, billions of years (which we would usually presume to be previous) were brought into existence?
I think it's not outside of realm of possibilities. Personally I believe Genesis can be interpreted to imply evolution, given the gradual appearance of different species, so long as the 24-hour days we know are not read into it. Or even in a Futurama "Clockwork Origins" type of way.

Kelly of the Phoenix

I get what the OP is trying to say. :)
Spacetime is relative, after all, and the closer you are to the speed of light, the more warped it will be relative to people "on the ground". Even if you don't think Buddha did this physically, he could be using mystical language just to show he developed the theory of relativity before Einstein. :)

Trying to mess around with the way time works won't fix the incompatibilities between creationism and evolution:

(1) In creationism, Adam and Eve were the only humans alive at the time of their creation and they had no parents. In evolution, there was never a point where the human population only consisted of two people and every human always had parents.
(2) In creationism, Adam was created directly from dust or clay. In evolution, every human was born.
(3) In creationism, the only living things that are truly related to each other are those that can trace their ancestry back to an original, created kind. In evolution, all living things are related to each other.
(4) In creationism, whales and birds came before land animals. In evolution, land animals came before whales and birds.
Does creationism only refer to one creator or can anyone's creator(s) play?