• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wait a second, maybe evoloution and creationism can co-exist...

Yadoula

Apparently, whilst in a very deep state of meditation, Buddha was able to step outside of time itself, he stepped outside change. He then realised that way we perceive the passage of time is actually completely wrong. He said that time actually works in reverse to the way that we would expect.
Doesn't this mean that God could have created man in the beginning, and then after this creation, billions of years (which we would usually presume to be previous) were brought into existence?

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Apparently, whilst in a very deep state of meditation, Buddha was able to step outside of time itself, he stepped outside change. He then realised that way we perceive the passage of time is actually completely wrong. He said that time actually works in reverse to the way that we would expect.
Doesn't this mean that God could have created man in the beginning, and then after this creation, billions of years (which we would usually presume to be previous) were brought into existence?
It would be tough. According to the ToE, man wasn't there in the beginning.

Yadoula

It would be tough. According to the ToE, man wasn't there in the beginning.
I think you miss my point... man need not have been there at what we perceive to be the beginning. At any given point god could have created a man and then what we perceive as the past would have manifested.

Quetzal

Premium Member
I think you miss my point... man need not have been there at what we perceive to be the beginning. At any given point god could have created a man and then what we perceive as the past would have manifested.
Depends on how you view God. According to Biblical scriptures, man was there on the 6th day of creation.

Yadoula

as I think about it... Buddha also says that in the last phase of any beings development within the physical world they become perfect beings, innocent, void of sin... Buddha said they reached enlightenment and left the physical realms. If that's the case, and time works backwards, then surely this would have actually happened at the beginning of any beings existence.

Yadoula

It wouldn't matter if it was the hundredth day, what we consider as the past would have simply manifested whenever it was that god created man

Quetzal

Premium Member
It wouldn't matter if it was the hundredth day, what we consider as the past would have simply manifested whenever it was that god created man
That's the point. The ToE advances the idea that man was not created, but the product of millions of years of evolution. A gradual coming into being, not a single point in time.

Yadoula

...but following buddhist logic, if time works backwards, then he could have made man in one day... then all those days before mans creation would have come into being after god made the first one

Quetzal

Premium Member
...but following buddhist logic, if time works backwards, then he could have made man in one day... then all those days before mans creation would have come into being after god made the first one
:confused:

Yadoula

If time works backwards... we would make a cake exist in the beginning, then after making the cake, the physical process which is required for the cake to exist would have manifested

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
According to Genesis, man wasn't created first. The opening verse is "Let there be light". When I was Christian I believed that the current theories of the Big Bang, evolution and such were and are the process of God creating. Even Pope John Paul II (isn't he a saint now?) said it was fine to study the origins of the universe to the point of the Big Bang, but before that is God's realm. To that end, even the Catholic Church has no problem with science and the bible. It's only the bible literalists who have a problem, believing in the literal 6 days. But unless I'm mistaken, in Hebrew the word for day as used in Genesis does not necessarily mean 24 hours. Even the 6,000 years as the age of the Earth is not mentioned in the bible. That was calculations done by an Irish archbishop, James Ussher in the 17th century.

Yadoula

Yeah I defo don't think we should take it literally, but the problems between genesis and ToE are one of the biggest things that makes people disregard the lessons in the bible. I have lots of respect for what Buddha taught, and if this is right, that time works backwards, (which was fundamental in respect of his theory on existence) then God could well have created man on the 6th 'day'. He could have created man before the big bang came into existence.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What does "beginning" mean if you're outside of time?

For that matter, what does "created" mean if you're outside of you're outside of time? Doesn't the term imply change over time?

Sultan Of Swing

Unnecessary step really. God could have just created everything, made it look ancient and us humans look at it and conclude billions of years.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Good to know that I still have to be born.

Ciao

- viole

Yadoula

What does "beginning" mean if you're outside of time?

For that matter, what does "created" mean if you're outside of you're outside of time? Doesn't the term imply change over time?

well he said that from the outside he was able to recognise that time worked backwards, so, the beginning would actually refer to what we usually consider to be the end.....

creation... hmmm... i think he said that everything is a manifestation of the mind as it tries to make sense of everything... so I guess creation would be imagined. The first thought would be the first creation???

Yadoula

Unnecessary step really. God could have just created everything, made it look ancient and us humans look at it and conclude billions of years.

Funnily that makes sense to me... The power of belief makes all the reasoning unimportant provided your believing the right thing. Since realising that time probably moves backwards I have started to believe that god made everything. I'm just trying to work out how he did it... and who this God fellow really was.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Of course, if he really did that when creating the earth 6,000 or so years ago, and went to all that trouble to make it look like the universe and the earth have been around for billions of years....then maybe shouldn't we just assume that it's been around for billions of years, instead of making the unnecessary step and creating unnecessary work for God to make a 6,000 year-old universe look like it's billions of years old?

Sultan Of Swing

Of course, if he really did that when creating the earth 6,000 or so years ago, and went to all that trouble to make it look like the universe and the earth have been around for billions of years....then maybe shouldn't we just assume that it's been around for billions of years, instead of making the unnecessary step and creating unnecessary work for God to make a 6,000 year-old universe look like it's billions of years old?
I'm just saying, rather than God doing this backwards time kafuffle.