• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Voting for Kerry is now considered a sin.

Pah

Uber all member
New York Times - registration required.

In an interview with The Times's David Kirkpatrick, Archbishop Charles Chaput of Denver said a knowing vote for a candidate like Mr. Kerry who supports abortion rights or embryonic stem cell research would be a sin that would have to be confessed before receiving communion. "If you vote this way, are you cooperating in evil?" the archbishop asked. "Now, if you know you are cooperating in evil, should you go to confession? The answer is yes."

This church, silent to Hitler, considers Kerry worse?

-pah-

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The bishop of Colorado Springs, which is 50 miles south of Denver, also holds the same view as the Archbishop of Denver. He disseminated his views in a letter mailed to the town's Catholics. It caused quite an outcry here, but the most surprising thing was how many Catholics stood up for the bishop's right to withold communion from anyone who votes for Kerry without first their having confessed. Personally, I think the tax-exempt status of the Church should be looked into to see whether this constitutes endorsing a candidate.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
wait, how are they going to know who to keep communion from? Are they going to try to get record on how all thie followers vote?
Isn't this illegal?

wa:do

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think it's on the honor system. If you vote for Kerry, it's up to you to come forward and confess your sin of having voted for him before taking communion.

Pah

Uber all member
Sunstone said:
The bishop of Colorado Springs, which is 50 miles south of Denver, also holds the same view as the Archbishop of Denver. He disseminated his views in a letter mailed to the town's Catholics. It caused quite an outcry here, but the most surprising thing was how many Catholics stood up for the bishop's right to withold communion from anyone who votes for Kerry without first their having confessed. Personally, I think the tax-exempt status of the Church should be looked into to see whether this constitutes endorsing a candidate.

I would recommend that those two dioceses you mentioned and any others following suit lose their tax-exempt status - but then that would compound the problem of paying restitution to all the victims of clerical rape and abuse.

-pah-

i do not agree with that archbishop. i'm for Bush, but the archbishop has crossed the line. catholic church has done it again

Pah

Uber all member
Doesn't this constitute a bribe? Is the Church not buying votes by threatening a denial of a sacrement? We'll give you salvation in exchange for your vote!

-pah-

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Sunstone said:
I think it's on the honor system. If you vote for Kerry, it's up to you to come forward and confess your sin of having voted for him before taking communion.
Kind of funny - I need some input from SOG on this one - I always found it incredibly odd that a person needs to confess their sins to another human being, cause I'm pretty sure that God knows (if He cares or if He exists).

SOG - if you read this, please give me a little clarification on this one.

Thanks,
TVOR

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
bandgeek500 said:
ok, i take back the comment about the catholic church.
Well, this isn't the first time that an institution as respectable as the Catholic Church has shot itself in the foot. It won't be the last time, either.

Doesn't this constitute a bribe? Is the Church not buying votes by threatening a denial of a sacrement? We'll give you salvation in exchange for your vote!
that is exactly what fustrates me, and thats why I'm a Luthern

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
robtex said:
Actually, Kerry is a catholic.
That is true - but he stated very clearly in the second debate that he would not support a ban on abortion. He said that he personally thinks abortion is wrong (and mentioned his faith), but that he could not, in good conscience, force his morals or views on others.

TVOR

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I genuinely hate to say this, but I think these bishops have lost some of their moral authority by their declaration that it's sinful to vote for Kerry.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
George Bush is the one who needs to confess--that his tragic, unjustifiable decision to invade Iraq has caused the deaths of thousands of innocent people. Now that's what I call a "sin"!

If voting for John Kerry is a sin, my only regret is that I won't have the opportunity to commit that sin more than once on November 2. Although, I have influenced my partner to vote for Kerry also, which I guess makes me a double sinner. :D

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
The religious right never fails to scare the hell out of me... why isn't it a sin to vote for Bush, who has killed so many people, both as commander in chief and the governor of Texas?

I don't think I'll ever get tired of that political cartoon. "We don't NEED to be consistent, we're HOLY!"

Ronald

SIN: Transgression of the Torah/LAW. This just one of the things Chrisrianity refuses to see. 1Jo 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Ronald said:
SIN: Transgression of the Torah/LAW. This just one of the things Chrisrianity refuses to see. 1Jo 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
Ronald:

In the context of this forum thread, is there anything in the Torah that says that voting for the candidate of your choice is a sin?