• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Voltaire was so right on his criticism of Mafia religious cultures

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Essentially this was at best more towards Christianity. But this can be to anything of mafia religious culture of groups in origin.

"Christians always feel oppressed when they can't oppress others".

This is so spot on true. It is so ironic but brilliant. What do you think?
Scientology is more Mafia like than Christianity.

Christianity comes more across as the flamboyant flim-flam man then mafioso although the ancient Roman Catholic Church was an exception when it was the strong-arm in history.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Well i read it somewhere. But yeah i cant find it on internet either. But i dont remember where i read it from but it was said to be from Voltaire

I can believe that. While googling I did see that he was not too happy with Christians [2 quotes below].
And from personal experience I know your quote is true (I experienced this many times)
You ask what do you think: First thought "Christian parents oppress child, naturally child later will do the same to others; just to get out of that oppressed feeling"
[Voltaire - Wikiquote]
1: Every sensible man, every honorable man, must hold the Christian sect in horror.
2: Where is the prince sufficiently educated to know that for seventeen hundred years the Christian sect has done nothing but harm?

Last edited:

74x12

Essentially this was at best more towards Christianity. But this can be to anything of mafia religious culture of groups in origin.

This is so spot on true. It is so ironic but brilliant. What do you think?
Problem is that modern liberals are nothing like classic liberals. :rolleyes:

What's the source of this quote? Always have to be sceptical about quotes on the internet without any attribution to an actual named text as they are usually false.

Voltaire was a critic of Christianity (and a massive anti-semite too), but this quote doesn't exist verbatim and seems strangely expressed for the 18th C. It seems exactly like the kind of thing someone might say about 21st C US evangelicals though.

You might be paraphrasing it, but where is it from?

*edit: Sorry, I see you already answered that you don't know where it is from. Almost certainly it is a fake quote.

Last edited:

Gulo

I could not have phrased this any better.

So many times I told Christians "If you belittle/criticize other's faith I won't talk to you anymore".
The default reply they give when I tell them this is "Now you criticize my faith"

First few times I could not answer. Now I understand why and how this all works in the mind of these specific Christians
"My way is the highway" obviously indicates arrogance. So they won't see their own faults AND twist truth to suit them
Most religifieds seem to be narcissistic and/or sociopathic to me. How do they know that their religion is the truth? Christians can't even agree with other Christians about which sect is correct. Neither can Muslims. Neither can Jews. Neither can Buddhists. Etc.