• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vitamin B12 deficiency

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Yep, I haz it. Doc's office called with my routine blood work results. My B12 is 138 on a scale of 200-350. I have to go once a week for 4 weeks for a B12 shot. I guess he'll re-test after that. I have to take 1 mg of folic acid. B- b- but I take a super mega B complex supplement, and I eat red meat! Well, apparently that don't mean a rat's hoo-ha. So why the B12 deficiency? Welllll... I take lamotragine (Lamictal), an anti-epileptic as a mood stabilizer for bipolar and depression. Guess what lamotrigine is well-documented for... yeah, vitamin B12 deficiency.

But here's the rub... Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause bipolar and depression. So which came first, the chicken or the egg (actually the egg because chickens are dinosaurs and dinosaurs laid e... oh nevermind). Am I on lamotrigine because of a B12 deficiency (can take years to develop) causing bipolar, or was I put on lamotrigine erroneously when my bipolar and depression could be caused by an idiopathic B12 deficiency? I guess we'll find out after the shots and follow-up blood tests.

B12 deficiency can also cause tingling in hands, light-headedness and vertigo, fatigue, including the aforementioned mood swings and depression, all of which I experience. The tingling in my hands, light-headedness and vertigo are supposed to be from nerve compression in my neck (herniated discs), but now I'm not so sure.

mainliner

no one can de-borg my fact's ...NO-ONE!!
Get well soon and don't forget your meds :)

i take about 10 tablets a day just To keep me alive !!

its no big deal unless i forget........ Then I'll be dead like dodo :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I gave myself B12 shots daily for about 2 months one time. Isn't that possible with your doctor? (It's a lot easier is all, other than the druggists funny look when I got the syringe request (from Doc) filled.

mainliner

In fact come to think about it i think i was on b12 for while then the doc said i don't need it anymore ...... Not sure :)

anyway it makes you open your eyes to your existence and the uba short time we have on earth ..... Even though it is pointless compared to eternity :)...... Roll on heaven , cant wait lol

mainliner

I gave myself B12 shots daily for about 2 months one time. Isn't that possible with your doctor? (It's a lot easier is all, other than the druggists funny look when I got the syringe request (from Doc) filled.
this should happen after the docs stable the condition and are happy with doseage etc etc

Sees

Dragonslayer
Will toast to your health and happiness brother. Hopefully you are cleared to just stick to the vitamins in the future.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Well its good that your B-12 deficiency isn't because of missing stomach cells. Its just that the med you take probably makes you burn through your B-12 faster or else blocks its uptake. Somehow it seems better to me.

They are working on skin patches to replace shot needles! I can hardly wait. I hate, hate, hate needles, not that I often need a shot or any such. Man, I hate needles.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Yep, I haz it. Doc's office called with my routine blood work results. My B12 is 138 on a scale of 200-350. I have to go once a week for 4 weeks for a B12 shot. I guess he'll re-test after that. I have to take 1 mg of folic acid. B- b- but I take a super mega B complex supplement, and I eat red meat! Well, apparently that don't mean a rat's hoo-ha. So why the B12 deficiency? Welllll... I take lamotragine (Lamictal), an anti-epileptic as a mood stabilizer for bipolar and depression. Guess what lamotrigine is well-documented for... yeah, vitamin B12 deficiency.

But here's the rub... Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause bipolar and depression. So which came first, the chicken or the egg (actually the egg because chickens are dinosaurs and dinosaurs laid e... oh nevermind). Am I on lamotrigine because of a B12 deficiency (can take years to develop) causing bipolar, or was I put on lamotrigine erroneously when my bipolar and depression could be caused by an idiopathic B12 deficiency? I guess we'll find out after the shots and follow-up blood tests.

B12 deficiency can also cause tingling in hands, light-headedness and vertigo, fatigue, including the aforementioned mood swings and depression, all of which I experience. The tingling in my hands, light-headedness and vertigo are supposed to be from nerve compression in my neck (herniated discs), but now I'm not so sure.

I hope you get well soon.

Why could you not take a B12 supplement on your own and then just get tested in a few weeks? Paying for the shots has to be more pricey.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
They are working on skin patches to replace shot needles! I can hardly wait. I hate, hate, hate needles.

I would rather get the shot. Have you ever worn a chemical infused patch? Like the ones used for smoking cessation? Very high probability of causing contact dermatitis, which is more annoying and painful then a simple needle prick.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I would rather get the shot. Have you ever worn a chemical infused patch? Like the ones used for smoking cessation? Very high probability of causing contact dermatitis, which is more annoying and painful then a simple needle prick.
Yes, I used patches when I quit smoking for the last time. These patches are different. They are actually fields of very tiny needles, so you don't wear them. You slap them on and peel them back off. Its in the works, and hopefully it becomes available as a substitute for shots.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks guys. It's probably not the pernicious anemia, the stomach cells problem, more likely the meds. Maybe at some point after these initial treatments I can do them at home. I don't think any amount of otc vitamins will take the place of the huge dose injected. After the initial treatments they have to be done once a month or so.

Awoon

I take B-12 to help keep my Red Blood Cells numbers up while taking the Chemo and Radiation. They've been on the low side since my lung surgery. Hope the B12 helps you.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I take B-12 to help keep my Red Blood Cells numbers up while taking the Chemo and Radiation. They've been on the low side since my lung surgery. Hope the B12 helps you.

Best of luck to you! B12 deficiency can cause anemia. It seems that it doesn't take much to destroy B vitamins, I'm finding out.

Jumi

I realized asking if you are now a vegetarian was a silly question since you mentioned eating red meat. Sorry about that... :confused:

Sardines, eggs, feta cheese... I'd add some of these to your diet when your doctor gives you the OK to make changes. I'm not sure if eating a lot B12 rich foods while you are getting shots is useful.

Here's a link that might be helpful

32 Foods High in Vitamin B12 to Keep You Energized | Bembu

Good luck and good health!

dave_

I just read that low stomach acidity may cause B12 deficiency.Main reason for that is taking anti acid pills.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I just read that low stomach acidity may cause B12 deficiency.Main reason for that is taking anti acid pills.

Yes, that is documented. I take only an occasional Alka-Seltzer.