• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Virginity Rocks T's

Zorro1227

I grew up in a baptist church and around middle school kids started wearing these T-shirts that said "Virginity Rocks" on the front and "I'm loving my wife/husband before I've even met him/her". Being a virgin at the time and planning on remaining one until marraige, they absolutely disgusted me. It got to a point where at every single camp I went to the youth group kids would buy tons of them.

So naturally you would start to realize which kids weren't wearing them and so you kind of assumed they weren't virgins anymore. I don't know about you, but that had to be completely embarrasing for some people. Especially since some of these kids were recent believers. To me those shirts were just to show off how "holy" they were. Am I the only person who thinks these shirts are ridiculous and stupid?

This is an example of why I left the church and started reading the Bible from an intellectual perspective and not a faith one.

Zorro1227

I just feel like one's sexuality is their own personal business. You don't need to announce it to the world. I garantee you god doesn't care

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I grew up in a baptist church and around middle school kids started wearing these T-shirts that said "Virginity Rocks" on the front and "I'm loving my wife/husband before I've even met him/her". Being a virgin at the time and planning on remaining one until marraige, they absolutely disgusted me. It got to a point where at every single camp I went to the youth group kids would buy tons of them.

So naturally you would start to realize which kids weren't wearing them and so you kind of assumed they weren't virgins anymore. I don't know about you, but that had to be completely embarrasing for some people. Especially since some of these kids were recent believers. To me those shirts were just to show off how "holy" they were. Am I the only person who thinks these shirts are ridiculous and stupid?

This is an example of why I left the church and started reading the Bible from an intellectual perspective and not a faith one.
Anything that markets religion is ridiculous.

ragordon168

the purity rings seem to be the biggest thing atm. why does it become necessary to wear a cheap tacky band to say you wont have sex, just dont do it why is that hard to understand?:shrug:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
the purity rings seem to be the biggest thing atm. why does it become necessary to wear a cheap tacky band to say you wont have sex, just dont do it why is that hard to understand?:shrug:
I can see one reason: wearing a "purity ring" or a "virginity rocks" t-shirt can be used as a way for unpopular people to justify their lack of sex. "I'm not awful with the ladies! I'm celibate for Jesus!"

In that way, it's kinda the new equivalent of carrying around a picture of your "girlfriend from Canada". :D

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
I think there are a few reasons they do it:

1) It serves as a reminder to them that they promised not to, kind of like when you tie a string on your finger to remember something.

2) It is a recruitment tool. They are hoping that if enough kids wear the stuff that the other kids will feel that it isn't "uncool" to take part in the promise as well.

3) It tells those that are not looking for sex who they can date without having a huge letdown later.

linwood

Anything that markets religion is ridiculous.

I`m not so sure, I really like my bobble head Jesus doll.

jesus-bobble-head.jpg

To the OP.

I disliked my virginity so much I got rid of it the very first chance I could.

:)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I can see one reason: wearing a "purity ring" or a "virginity rocks" t-shirt can be used as a way for unpopular people to justify their lack of sex. "I'm not awful with the ladies! I'm celibate for Jesus!"

That does it! I'm going to quit wearing my "Virginity Rocks!" T-Shirt now --- and all because of you. Why did you have to spoil a good gig?

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
You know, I just got to thinking...

A virginity rocks t-shirt may work for picking up women. They may see it as a challenge in the same way a wedding band works in a bar. :D