• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Violence!! is it within us to stop it??

Mavrikmind

I refuse to watch the news anymore! The more I watch the more depressed I become. I've often wondered where all this violence comes from. I don't think is fostered by religiouns as some claim.
My bigest question is this. Do we, Humans as a whole, have the neccesary willpower to overcome the urge to do violence? These days I'm not sure. Personally I abhore violence but I will fall prey to it in certain situations. Such as Defence of my own life or my family, or the defence of someone who cannot defend themselves. :shrug:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The only way you will stop violence is by loving non-violence more than violence. Pardus is right, btw. It is always easier to get upset with people than it is to take the time to understand. That can take a considerable amount of effort and willpower.

Mavrikmind

Of course your right, understanding is the key. And your right about laziness as well, in this day and age one cant claim ignorance with the wealth of knowledge so readilly available. As we all know, knowledge leads to understanding :)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Patience is also a big thing in my books, as is expectation. You see, I expect people to act less than intelligently, as fully half the population is not all that bright. That may sound like a terrible thing to say, but I am a pragmatic realist (ok... with some pretty bizarre ideas I normally keep to myself. I digress.) and fully expect people to act stupidly. When I expected people to act responsibly I found I always got frustrated when they didn't "measure up". When I began to expect them to act stupidly I was not usually nearly as disappointed. On the rare occaision, I get a pleasant surprise, lol.

It is a variation on the theme of "plan for the worst; hope for the best."
oh well, it works for me.

standing_on_one_foot

Individual humans do have the ability to refrain from violence, to stop violence, yes. But you could never get every human on the planet to give it up, though, short of killing all of us, which would of course be missing the point...

Where does all the violence come from? From people. Religion is often an excuse, of course, but really it's just people. It always is. Violence often seems justifiable, people get scared and angry and there will always be some people willing to resort to violence, and once you're in the middle of it, it's very hard to get out.

Still, I wouldn't give up on the world just yet. There are remarkably good people in it as well.

Zephyr

Moved on
Why do you assume that violence is bad and something to be stopped?

I for one see it as a necessary challenge.

Mavrikmind

Well that is a good point. Personally I would see it as a challenge in as such that someday violence could be rendered uneccesary. Or violence (as a friend pointed out) is a natural thing, cleansing populations i.e. wolves weeding out the sick and infirm prey species. But I would like to think that we as enlightened beings, ( Sometimes that point could be argued as well ) can make violence obsolete

W

Withdrawnmist

Violence is an inherent trait built into every single one of us. I agree and support you wholeheartedly that I too wish for an end to violence and I share your hate of it.

But, it's a natural proclivity, we need violence for personal self defense....who knows ?...maybe one day(this may seem like Sci Fi) but we may need violence to protect our very species......

..we will always need the knowledge to perform violence and use the tools of violence...I hope and wish in the strongest possible terms that we may one day never have a need for violence of any kind.

I think........to rid ourselves of the ability to be violent would leave us vulnerable. yes, we have our intellect to rise above it...but lets not diminish ourselves by rendering us incapable. I am not assuming you were alluding to this by the way.

Excellent post..

HUGS the Mavrikmind

JessR

Just like lilithtruthseeker said on another thread, it's really depressing to watch the news. I just decided recently to devote my time to more important things then spending it watching the news...I mean, that's a whole hour out of the day wasted!:confused: