• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

violence in movies

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Talk about wild hyperbole. You must not have read the original versions of Grimm's Fairy Tales.
Lol or indeed Aesop's Fables. Or the Greek/Roman myths. Or Shakespeare. Or Voltaire. Or Dante. Or Virgil. Or Homer. Or.... Oh the hell with it, just throw in the entirety of the Western Literary Canon. Nothing but sex and violence as far as the eye can see.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Lmao people acting like bloody violence is a wholly new concept in entertainment. Never seen Titus Andronicus by William Shakespeare I presume?

Ellen Brown

Lmao people acting like bloody violence is a wholly new concept in entertainment. Never seen Titus Andronicus by William Shakespeare I presume?

I just saw,"The Predator" last night and one thing that I noticed in the movie is that there was substantial "comic relief" in it, unlike "Predator" and the movies associated with it. For me, the menacing in some movies is far too traumatic.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I just saw,"The Predator" last night and one thing that I noticed in the movie is that there was substantial "comic relief" in it, unlike "Predator" and the movies associated with it. For me, the menacing in some movies is far too traumatic.
Meh I was more of an Aliens kind of gal, personally.
Still sex and violence has always been at the crux of entertainment. Avoiding certain things in film is as easy as reading the ratings system tbh. No one is forcing or even tricking you into watching films that are not to your taste.
Books on the other hand are far less upfront about potentially upsetting material. They have reading levels and that's about it. Occasionally some warnings on YA maybe. But ehh.
You want to talk to me about traumatising media? Read 120 Days of Sodom by Marquis De Sade and then get back to me. Hell Lolita is goddamned harrowing. And I say that as someone who has seen the entire Saw franchise without so much as batting an eyelid. Media can haunt you forever. But that's sort of the point in many cases.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
I saw that in theaters. I didn't like it, lol. I mean, I knew it was going to be stupid but it ended up being offensive when it comes to it's treatment of autism. That really rubbed me the wrong way.

Ellen Brown

Meh I was more of an Aliens kind of gal, personally.
Still sex and violence has always been at the crux of entertainment. Avoiding certain things in film is as easy as reading the ratings system tbh. No one is forcing or even tricking you into watching films that are not to your taste.
Books on the other hand are far less upfront about potentially upsetting material. They have reading levels and that's about it. Occasionally some warnings on YA maybe. But ehh.
You want to talk to me about traumatising media? Read 120 Days of Sodom by Marquis De Sade and then get back to me. Hell Lolita is goddamned harrowing. And I say that as someone who has seen the entire Saw franchise without so much as batting an eyelid. Media can haunt you forever. But that's sort of the point in many cases.

LOL, I've always been an avid reader. When the first Aliens book came out, it was quite upsetting. One night a terrifying nightmare wakened me, and I lay there quivering. Finally, I woke my mate up and said. "I'm frightened, you look that way and I'll watch this way". The next morning, when I got up, I hardly remembered it. :)

Ellen Brown

I saw that in theaters. I didn't like it, lol. I mean, I knew it was going to be stupid but it ended up being offensive when it comes to it's treatment of autism. That really rubbed me the wrong way.

Agreed. Did you think that Autism was accurately portrayed? My understanding of it is that in really tense, violent situations, freezing up is usual.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Agreed. Did you think that Autism was accurately portrayed? My understanding of it is that in really tense, violent situations, freezing up is usual.
You mean how it presented the symptoms? It relied on stereotypes. Autistic people are usually stereotyped as being savants, which isn't really the reality. They don't present the debilitating aspects of the condition, which leaves the person disabled and in need of help.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
LOL, I've always been an avid reader. When the first Aliens book came out, it was quite upsetting. One night a terrifying nightmare wakened me, and I lay there quivering. Finally, I woke my mate up and said. "I'm frightened, you look that way and I'll watch this way". The next morning, when I got up, I hardly remembered it. :)
Hmm I recall that happening to me with Roald Dahl's the Witches adaption. Though I was like 3 at the time. I happened to wander into the room when the transformation scene was playing and had nightmares for like a week. Lol
Ahh memories.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
Why do mostly all movie today contain so much voilance?
I seldom watch movies anymore because voilance does not interest me.
I haven't watched movies or TV for decades because I don't want the spiritual garbage rattling around in my mind. For the same reason, I also don't wish to read fictional stories in which the characters are committing mortal sins.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
For the same reason, I also don't wish to read fictional stories in which the characters are committing mortal sins.
Wow, that's pretty extreme, imo. That's much of the world's great literature. But I suppose the Bible is an exception to you?

Last edited:

dfnj

Why do mostly all movie today contain so much voilance?
I seldom watch movies anymore because voilance does not interest me.

Fear and hatred sells because it is an itching flaw in our characters that is very difficult to scratch. We see ourselves in the flawed characters playing out in the movies.

If you really want to have some insight into how our consciousness evolves, consider the following video as an explanation on what makes a story good or worth writing about:

Unless you go into the dark you cannot emerge into the light. Or, for some movies, it's all about starting from a darker place and move to a less darker place as some form of human achievement.

If you ever want to balance the negative aspects of your character spend time in the following work:

Or in book form: https://www.amazon.com/King-Warrior-Magician-Lover-Rediscovering/dp/0062506064

If you balance your character you will be able to appreciate violent movies for what they are without be affected by them in a negative way. People and experiences only take away from you what you let them. Don't let them!

If you really want to deal with the deepest and darkest parts of your own character's existential issues consider the problems of non-duality as they relate to the Unity of Opposites:

In book form: https://www.amazon.com/Nothing-Gras...d=1545454758&sr=1-1&keywords=nothing+to+grasp

Unity of opposites - Wikipedia

Being and nothingness