• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

violence in movies

Earthling

David Henson
Why do mostly all movie today contain so much voilance?
I seldom watch movies anymore because voilance does not interest me.

Unfortunately the greedy pigs who run Hollywood, that is, are running it into the ground as we speak, think that movies, primarily geared towards the market of young male adolescent, make the most money. This happens to be true, but they also cost a great deal to produce.

So, the new superhero movie, with all of it's expensive explosions don't net as much as a movie that cost less to make and grosses, though substantially less, nets more. If you make $20 million from a movie that it costed you $15 million to make a movie that costed $1 million to make and rakes in $9 million you make $8 million. Which is substantially more.

This simple concept alludes the vampires in Hollywood and so you see less On Golden Ponds and More Aquaman, Spider-man and Bumblebee. Family movies like Mary Poppins are still money makers but not necessarily appealing to those outside of the familial market.

However, what's wrong with violence? For the Bible believer such as myself, the Bible is full of it. To a Buddhist it's suffering and ya' just gotta' let it go.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Why? In my view it has more to do with making money than it does with violence per se. You make whatever genre makes the most money. But they're not getting any money from me either.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Unfortunately the greedy pigs who run Hollywood, that is, are running it into the ground as we speak, think that movies, primarily geared towards the market of young male adolescent, make the most money. This happens to be true, but they also cost a great deal to produce.

So, the new superhero movie, with all of it's expensive explosions don't make as much of a net profit as a movie that cost less to make and makes, though substantially less nets more. If you make $20 million from a movie that it costed you $15 million to make a movie that costed $1 million to make and rakes in $9 million you make $8 million. Which is substantially more.

This simple concept alludes the vampires in Hollywood and so you see less On Golden Ponds and More Aquaman, Spider-man and Bumblebee. Family movies like Mary Poppins are still money makers but not necessarily appealing to those outside of the familial market.

However, what's wrong with violence? For the Bible believer such as myself, the Bible is full of it. To a Buddhist it's suffering and ya' just gotta' let it go.

Well for a buddhist we should not harm others, and movies made with voilance seem to be made for maing people think they can shoot someone and thy will just stand up again, even real life shootings has proven this.

Dekrikos Augustine

Life Person Thing

-- This is just a guess on my part --
I suppose they think that violence being the main undertone of many great cartoons and older movies (especially those with old western cowboys and sheriffs), it would somehow be a great idea to enhance that aspect in pretty much every sense.

That isn't to say they're aren't any good violent movies. I enjoy martial arts and john wick style movies myself.
It truly has become excessive, though.

I just stick to the same old comedies and cartoons until something good enough that my dad will tell me about it comes out :)

Earthling

David Henson
Well for a buddhist we should not harm others, and movies made with voilance seem to be made for maing people think they can shoot someone and thy will just stand up again, even real life shootings has proven this.

I don't quite understand the part you wrote about standing up in real life shootings, but your Buddhist point was a good one. They should make more movies in the U.S. with Buddhists in mind.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I don't quite understand the part you wrote about standing up in real life shootings, but your Buddhist point was a good one. They should make more movies in the U.S. with Buddhists in mind.

I meant that many young people today have played with real guns and shot each other because they did not think the gun would kill them, they seen in movies that they gets shot and just after that they can stand up and fight more. and ofcourse that is not thecase in real life.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
The same stories don't appeal to everyone equally. I don't like football movies. Hockey movies and basketball movies are better.

Earthling

David Henson
I meant that many young people today have played with real guns and shot each other because they did not think the gun would kill them, they seen in movies that they gets shot and just after that they can stand up and fight more. and ofcourse that is not thecase in real life.

Oh, I see. Yes, that does make sense. But I'm uncertain how it reflects upon reality. I think most, even young children can make the distinction between reality and entertainment. I seen an excellent show about that by Penn & Teller once. On guns, and violence in video games. The same as the cartoons we grew up with, the games we would play, the movies, books . . . we are surrounded by that stuff, huh? Maybe we should ask ourselves why that is first.

Ellen Brown

And things in movies, even if they are true can trigger Psychotic Episodes. Watched part of "A Beautiful Mind' recently and what happened to Dr. John Nash was so painful to me because aside from the Electroconvulsive Therapy, it is almost exactly what happened to me. At least his family supported him. Mine daemonized me.

It's been a painful few days. Getting better now.

Violence in movies are the end of the civilized world.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Oh, I see. Yes, that does make sense. But I'm uncertain how it reflects upon reality. I think most, even young children can make the distinction between reality and entertainment. I seen an excellent show about that by Penn & Teller once. On guns, and violence in video games. The same as the cartoons we grew up with, the games we would play, the movies, books . . . we are surrounded by that stuff, huh? Maybe we should ask ourselves why that is first.

I am agree with you

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Hockey and football is rather violent, though, don't you think?
Hockey seems more violent even though American football is more dangerous. Hockey to me seems safer but more violent. In football you can get hurt really bad with no one getting angry at all. In hockey on the other hand you can fight very hard without doing much damage.