• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vinyl Vs. Digital

Vinyl? CD's? MP3s? Weigh up sound quality vs useability and make your choice!

• Total voters
W

Withdrawnmist

YmirGF said:
Like Booko, I put up with the pure hiss, crackle and pop from vinyl for many years. Give me a pretty silver CD any day. Oh, the good old days when the tape deck ate your favorite tape and it took and hour to extract the little devil. No thanks... never going back to either format.

LOL...do ewe remeber the days when you'd be walking along a street and see a chewed up spewed up casette in the gutter !!..?..those days are over !!

Mavrikmind

I prefer Digital, not only for the reasons you stated but another advantage is that there are loads of different formats out there besides "MP3" there is WMA ( microsofts contribution), OGG Vorbis and ATEC ( Sony's Contribution). In addition you can "rip" CD's in different qualities. If you wan't small file size to save space, you rip in a lower qualtiy (128 bit). If quality is your concern then you rip at 320 bitrate, that's CD quality. So based on your preference you can have Very good sound from a MP3.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Withdrawnmist said:
respect !!..the Grados are excellent !!..I've been very lucky to own some RS1s and Rs2's...not any more... Me sold them !!......I just have some Sennheisers now...although about 4 different pairs ..LOL
Wow, I can't believe you sold the RS's... they're great headphones. What kind of Sennheisers have you got?

The ATs are really good too ....of course....you could go all silly and buy a headphone amplifier....then your sound stage will take a dramatic leap !!..YAYYYYYYY !!!..and those Grados especially will really open up !! YAYYYYYYY !!!
The AT's are really good headphones, but they actually get WORSE with amplification believe it or not... I have a headphone amp already and yeah the Grado's go nuts with it :)

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Withdrawnmist said:
LOL...do ewe remeber the days when you'd be walking along a street and see a chewed up spewed up casette in the gutter !!..?..those days are over !!
Lies... I see them still ;)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'll take Black Sabbath on vinyl, versus the "remastered" CDs. Or really anything for that matter.
But for ease of portability, mp3s. I currently have 6 days, 21 hours, and 15 minutes worth of mp3s, a total of 10.31 GBs, which is only a third of my mp3 players total memory.

I see CDs like that, only some of them work. I got a free copy of Nickelback's Silver Side Up by finding a copy that had been tossed.

W

Withdrawnmist

ChrisP said:
Wow, I can't believe you sold the RS's... they're great headphones. What kind of Sennheisers have you got?

The AT's are really good headphones, but they actually get WORSE with amplification believe it or not... I have a headphone amp already and yeah the Grado's go nuts with it :)

Me has a pair of HD590s, a pair of HD 580's, An RF pair for late night tv watching, PX200s for the Ipod ...and I just noticed a pair of Beyerdynamics DT331s never used still in the box ..LOL.

It was circumstance that lead to be selling the RS1s and twos with the headphone amps I had cos, I just could not do them justice...You'll see..when you have kids !!..especially if you have 4 !!..LOL.

I ent for the sennhesisers ofver the grados because I could never get compfortable with the Grado earpads !!...the Sennheiseres are really comfortable !!

I'll never sell the Hi Fi though....n everrrrrrrrrrr !!..YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY !!!

W

Withdrawnmist

ChrisP said:

LOL !!!..ewe have to take into consideration where ewe live ..NZ !!..LOL ;);) *sheepy winks a cheeky wink*

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I love mp3.'s . I guess I am the person here who has probably seen the most change in my life time.

In Africa, we had a record player that played the old bakelite (I think that's what they were made out of) 78's; we used pine needles to replace bad needles..because there we so few in stock where we were-they worked fine.

I still have the old "solid disk" collection in the attic, along with Vinyls, cassettes,
mini disk.

I really would like to transfer the really good stuff (which I can't even buy anymore) onto my computer hard drive, but there aren't enough hours in the day.........:help:

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Withdrawnmist said:
Me has a pair of HD590s, a pair of HD 580's, An RF pair for late night tv watching, PX200s for the Ipod ...and I just noticed a pair of Beyerdynamics DT331s never used still in the box ..LOL.

It was circumstance that lead to be selling the RS1s and twos with the headphone amps I had cos, I just could not do them justice...You'll see..when you have kids !!..especially if you have 4 !!..LOL.

I ent for the sennhesisers ofver the grados because I could never get compfortable with the Grado earpads !!...the Sennheiseres are really comfortable !!

I'll never sell the Hi Fi though....n everrrrrrrrrrr !!..YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY !!!

I hear the 590s are GREAT! Did you consider the 600s? I've never had a go with the B-D 331s though. Open or closed?

I hear you bout the Grado's but I have massive ears so they sit just fine :D

W

Withdrawnmist

ChrisP said:
I hear the 590s are GREAT! Did you consider the 600s? I've never had a go with the B-D 331s though. Open or closed?

I hear you bout the Grado's but I have massive ears so they sit just fine :D

Oh....I had a pair of 600 and 650's too !!..LOL...bear in mind..I just nicked them from my own stores and brought them home to play with...so don't hate me too much !!

The 590s are really great too of course...little more bass than the 600/650s but then ewe lose a tad bit of detail...

The beyers...well..to be honest..they are an old discontinued pair...have never really listend them for long..they are open...shame you don't live next door ...ewe could have them !....I'm fed up of Ebaying !!..LOL

evearael

MP3's. They are convenient and inexpensive. Also, I'm terribly moody about music and I like to be able to go from Lamb to Bach to Crystal Method to Yoko Kanno at the click of a mouse. :)

Circle_One

Vinyl, for SURE! I love the grittyness of it. There's nothing better.

Although, I WILL say that I'm a fan of 8-tracks, Chrispy :p I've got a huge collection, hehe

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Circle_One said:
Vinyl, for SURE! I love the grittyness of it. There's nothing better.

Although, I WILL say that I'm a fan of 8-tracks, Chrispy :p I've got a huge collection, hehe
DAMN YOU!!! *shakes fist ineffectually*

One day I'll have the whole Tool Discog on 8 track... one day.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Withdrawnmist said:
The beyers...well..to be honest..they are an old discontinued pair...have never really listend them for long..they are open...shame you don't live next door ...
Hehehe tell me about it... I'm still a padawan in the ways of pleasing my ears. It'd be nice to learn more about what's out there!!!

Cheers for that PM reply btw. I'm thinking more of a record store than hardware, but headphones and amps would probably be for sale too :)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Does anyone have a victrola? (I think thats how its spelled)

My mom has one that has been passed down a couple generations. Still works in a great condition to, with about 20-30 records in the storage area.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I had a lot of vinyl in my time -- both 33's and 45's (I used to work at a couple of radio stations). There is no question as to which source is superior. Finally, with digital, we have recordings where we never have to worry about the degradation of the source. But I absolutely HATE the packaging...can't ever seem to get the damn things open!

Records are nostalgic, but they're a pain to store, and a pain to use. Remember the old Discwasher systems, and how we used to have to calibrate our turntables for tracking ability, as well as cantilever weight? What a *****! Now, we just stick the disc in and hit play. No drop-the-needle, no rewinding. Life's great!