• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Viking Arrival In NA Dated

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
So they just barely beat Columbus.
400 years is more than "barely".

I've seen a number of programs about the Vikings in North America which went from myth to controversial evidence to acceptance. This is a classic example of how to treat ancient myths - see if there is any evidence to be found, examine it skeptically and with different perspectives and if the myth has a basis replace the myth with accepted evidence.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

I've seen a number of programs about the Vikings in North America which went from myth to controversial evidence to acceptance. This is a classic example of how to treat ancient myths - see if there is any evidence to be found, examine it skeptically and with different perspectives and if the myth has a basis replace the myth with accepted evidence.
Almost five hundred in fact. Okay, just this once. More than just a little.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

There's legends of Europeans traveling by boat to the Americas centuries before the Vikings, even. I think people made it over here a bunch of times over history. It's not that difficult, from either the North Atlantic or North Pacific. There's clearly been multiple human migrations here through Asia, too.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
There's legends of Europeans traveling by boat to the Americas centuries before the Vikings, even. I think people made it over here a bunch of times over history. It's not that difficult, from either the North Atlantic or North Pacific. There's clearly been multiple human migrations here through Asia, too.
The difficulties would have been the ice left over from the European Ice Age. It only became possible to sail from England directly to the Low Countries in the year 1000 AD. So goodness knows what the Atlantic was like. They would have needed large boats to carry copious amounts of beer or other drinkable liquid, preserved foods and other materials for life. This is probably why it didn't happen often. The main factor would be the ice. Sailing the Atlantic, especially to Canada, is treacherous now, let alone in a huge ice field. I'm also not sure how the landscape has changed on the coasts.

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
Because of Columbus, we think of the European discovery of America. There is evidence that the Polynesians may have been earlier visitors to America.
Did the Polynesians reach America?
  • The new DNA evidence, taken together with archaeological and linguistic evidence regarding the timeline of Polynesian expansion, suggests that an original contact date between 500 CE and 700 CE between Polynesia and America seems likely.

Viker

Häxan
Another compelling legend is about hundreds of years before that Irish monks or fishermen may have arrived.

Someone told me they thought the Ninth Legion, while trying to get to Scotland via the Celtic/Irish seas, somehow got off course and landed in the Americas in the 2nd century ce. Don't know how credible that would be. They may have just been lost at sea.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Watched a documentary a few years ago about how cro magnon could have got there.
A skeleton in south America has been identified as cro magnon. Tools with similarities to European cro magnon have been found in several locations both north and south America

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Another compelling legend is about hundreds of years before that Irish monks or fishermen may have arrived.

Someone told me they thought the Ninth Legion, while trying to get to Scotland via the Celtic/Irish seas, somehow got off course and landed in the Americas in the 2nd century ce. Don't know how credible that would be. They may have just been lost at sea.
It seems unlikely. Even in the 20th c. a ship from Europe to the Americas took about a week. Without steam etc. it would have taken over a month. That's basically death of starvation and cold, since they were unlikely to prepare for that timeframe.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Watched a documentary a few years ago about how cro magnon could have got there.
A skeleton in south America has been identified as cro magnon. Tools with similarities to European cro magnon have been found in several locations both north and south America
Was this around the timeframe that the icebridge was available, that the soon-to-become Native Americans used?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Was this around the timeframe that the icebridge was available, that the soon-to-become Native Americans used?
No. That was far earlier.

And it was not an "ice bridge". During the last glaciation the northern parts of North America, Europe, and Asia were covered with huge thick ice sheets. That water had to come from somewhere and the somewhere was ultimately the oceans. Sea levels dropped during the ice age so that people could walk on land from far north eastern Asia to far north western North America. The Bering land bridge was flooded as the glaciers melted. It was gone about 10,000 to 11,000 years ago. Just a shade further back than either Columbus or even the Vikings.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
No. That was far earlier.

And it was not an "ice bridge". During the last glaciation the northern parts of North America, Europe, and Asia were covered with huge thick ice sheets. That water had to come from somewhere and the somewhere was ultimately the oceans. Sea levels dropped during the ice age so that people could walk on land from far north eastern Asia to far north western North America. The Bering land bridge was flooded as the glaciers melted. It was gone about 10,000 to 11,000 years ago. Just a shade further back than either Columbus or even the Vikings.

That's what I meant, the Bering Strait. Sorry, I'm drunk :D