• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vidya

garudha

The estimated world population is 7,257,792,500 as I write this (7.3 Billion).

If "1-in-5,000" already had
transcendental experience of Brahman -- there are 1,450,000 "Seers" alive today.

Do you think there would be more, or less, "Seers" alive today, than my -haphazard- guess of
1,450,000 persons (1.5 Million persons)?

How common, do you think, is transcendental experience of Brahman ?

Last edited:

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |

transcendental experience of Brahman -- there are 1,450,000 "Seers" alive today.

Do you think there would be more, or less, "Seers" alive today, than my -haphazard- guess of

Not that common, if not nonexistent. I'm skeptical of these statistical measurements because they often tend to be commoditizing, as if moksha is some type of product. Personally, I feel it resonating with a "do-and-I-shall-be-gifted" type of mentality---a sort of "salvation-complex", so to speak. It should be kept in mind that such fervent seeking of moksha is largely a newcomer in the realm of Dharma, reminiscent of the historical and metaphysical encounters between Dharmic and non-Dharmic paradigms. Contemplative questioning, understanding, and conduction of proper action---on the other hand---are much, much older.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I agree with Poeticus and anadi. I think it's quite rare. I believe, but obviously cannot prove anything that the number is so high because the definition of the experience of Brahman has changed, or expanded. I mean, ask people who meditate at all and half of them will tell you they're enlightened already. Yeah, right.

garudha

I think it's much much less. A thousand max I would say. I don't think the world would be in such chaos if there were so many.

Thanks for that link.

Your estimate of 1,000 means only 1 in 7 million.

I find it amazing that such a rare occurrence would be regarded as "truth", and not lunacy, by the other 6,999,999 people!

If anyone else would like to air their guess, please do so, as I prepare another question which I wish to ask on this subject.

Thanks.

garudha

Okay guys...

The first question is still open. I don't think we'll ever know the "correct" answer so feel free to take a guess. Of course; if you somehow know, through supra-mudane means, then please enlighten us ;-)

My second question on this subject is:

If (for want of a better term...) Enlightenment is so rare; how come there exists so very many books, doctrines, poems, volumes, essays, scriptures, etc. etc., ?

Are most of these most excellent works written by those without any personal experience ?

Thanks !

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
All it takes is one. The rest can plagiarize. If you read enough you can repeat what others say relatively easily. That said, there is no real way of knowing.

Last edited:

anadi

on the way
If (for want of a better term...) Enlightenment is so rare; how come there's so many books, doctrines, poems, volumes, essays, scriptures, etc. etc., that all seem to be wtitten by people who really know what they're talking about as if they have experienced it well enough to write about it?

Because it's the 'goal' of life... this knowledge is so important that it simply needs to be written down or passed orally. It's the divine play and I think 1,000 enlightened sages is more than enough for that.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The percentage would be minimum in Abrahamic religions. So, do not calculate on the basis of 7.3 billion.

religion99

This opinion is according to Jain Religion:

Many may be able to communicate to Devas , particularly Yogis and Tantrics from Hindu religion

Number of people who have experienced , is experiencing or will experience absolute brahman is zero because how can you experience something that doesn't exist?

As far as self-realization is concerned , it is possible only in Digambar Jain religion and I would not expect more than 10 people alive who have achieved it.

Number of alive people with omniscience = 0 because it is not possible in Kali-yug to have omniscience.

Number of people directly going to Moksha = 0 because it is not possible in Kali-yug to go to Moksha directly. Self-realization is possible , but you'll still go to Moksha in next to next birth earliest.

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member

If "1-in-5,000" already had transcendental experience of Brahman -- there are 1,450,000 "Seers" alive today.

Do you think there would be more, or less, "Seers" alive today, than my -haphazard- guess of 1,450,000 persons (1.5 Million persons)?

Did you count me?