• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vertebrates on the brink as indicators of biological annihilation and the sixth mass extinction

Heyo

Veteran Member
  • This is a passionate subject, hard to see w/ disinterest.
What isn't?
  • This is a controversial subject & different groups cite different sources.
Yes. And some sources are published in peer reviewed, recommended, scientific journals and others are ..., well, not that.
  • Each side disparages the other group's sources.
Yes. And the major question is, who do you trust? And who can we agree upon to trust?
I still honestly think that there are ways we can work together to piece out the truth from this mess, one way would involve heavy reliance on shared empirical testing and there're probably lots of other ways. Do let me know if ur interested.
You didn't cite any papers yet so we don't really disagree on any. You also haven't rejected any specific paper or article, so we don't know if you are rejecting any of the named sources. All you did was through shade on the general idea.
Where's the meat?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What isn't?
Yes. And some sources are published in peer reviewed, recommended, scientific journals and others are ..., well, not that.
Yes. And the major question is, who do you trust? And who can we agree upon to trust?

You didn't cite any papers yet so we don't really disagree on any. You also haven't rejected any specific paper or article, so we don't know if you are rejecting any of the named sources. All you did was through shade on the general idea.
Where's the meat?
I always find it amazing when science deniers refuse to even learn the basics of a topic so that they will have a better understanding of it. They seem to just want to hang on to their biased sources. I can understand how a personal bias can drive someone to an errant position since that happened to me. My personal dislike of Al Gore led me to denying global warming. I used to debate against it, this was quite a few years ago when there was still at least some doubt. I found that my sources were often lacking. They rarely if ever dealt with the problem on a global basis. I had to admit that more reliable sources refuted my own. It was Lord Monckton that finally convinced me that I was wrong. His dishonest debating technique was almost identical to that of creationists. If the facts are on one's side why would anyone feel the necessity to make false claims and lie in one's debates?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
--and I'll take that to mean there's not hope for discussion & we're done.

Cheers
People are willing to have a discussion. The problem is that you would need to find reliable sources and you do not appear to understand how to vet the sources that you rely on.

Once again, let's go over the basics so that you at least have a grasp on the topic.

Heyo

Veteran Member
So we can assume that your refusal to consider the existence of any boring subject to mean that you're set on disagreeing w/ me every step of the way.
The only thing I have disagreed on with you is your general negativity without putting out any real arguments.
I see a dark ending for all this.
I don't see a beginning, yet.

Pete in Panama

So we can assume that your refusal to consider the existence of any boring subject to mean that you're set on disagreeing w/ me every step of the way...
Do you have a problem with peer review?
Seems we're changing the subject. Ordinarily I'd say that was a smart move but ur probably unaware that it's what ur doing.

Related subjects that nobody wants to talk about: major extinctions, climate change, global warming. Off hand I'd say that was a smart move too but once again smart probably has nothing to do w/ it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Seems we're changing the subject. Ordinarily I'd say that was a smart move but ur probably unaware that it's what ur doing.

Related subjects that nobody wants to talk about: major extinctions, climate change, global warming. Off hand I'd say that was a smart move too but once again smart probably has nothing to do w/ it.
No, you appear to be running away from any discussion at all. That is a wise move on your part.

Pete in Panama

The only thing I have disagreed on with you is your general negativity without putting out any real arguments...
You may have missed the part where I said--
...I still honestly think that there are ways we can work together to piece out the truth from this mess, one way would involve heavy reliance on shared empirical testing and there're probably lots of other ways. Do let me know if ur interested.
If ur interested now, pse tell me what u'd like to discuss --major extinctions, climate change, or global warming. For the one u pick, pse tell me what ur assertion is & we can discuss it.

Pete in Panama

...Related subjects that nobody wants to talk about: major extinctions, climate change, global warming. Off hand I'd say that was a smart move too but once again smart probably has nothing to do w/ it.
No, you appear to be ...
There you go again changing the subject, this time from you to me. Look, let's talk topic: major extinction caused by climate change/global warming. We can do it, if not I'm outa here.

Heyo

Veteran Member
You may have missed the part where I said--If ur interested now, pse tell me what u'd like to discuss --major extinctions, climate change, or global warming. For the one u pick, pse tell me what ur assertion is & we can discuss it.
What about the OP? It's an article published in a respected magazine.