• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Verifiable evidence for creationism?

Is there any verifiable evidence for creationism?

• Yes

Votes: 20 19.0%
  • No

Votes: 85 81.0%

• Total voters

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Cre·a·tion·ism
krēˈāSHəˌnizəm/
noun
  1. the belief that the universe and living organisms originate from specific acts of divine creation, as in the biblical account, rather than by natural processes such as evolution.
Is there any? I often hear creationists lean on arguments from ignorance or the present lack of scientific understanding, but I've never heard of any verifiable evidence for it.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
Cre·a·tion·ism
krēˈāSHəˌnizəm/
noun
  1. the belief that the universe and living organisms originate from specific acts of divine creation, as in the biblical account, rather than by natural processes such as evolution.
Is there any? I often hear creationists lean on arguments from ignorance or the present lack of scientific understanding, but I've never heard of any verifiable evidence for it.
... and you won't.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
Cre·a·tion·ism
krēˈāSHəˌnizəm/
noun

If there was any such evidence you can believe we'd never hear the end of it.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Cre·a·tion·ism
krēˈāSHəˌnizəm/
noun
the definition has a built in pivot.
I say the big bang and evolution are evidence of God.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
the definition has a built in pivot.
I say the big bang and evolution are evidence of God.
Is that based on arguments from ignorance though? For example, "how could something come from nothing", "how could evolution work so beautifully", complexity of life, etc.?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
And the definition is a bit misleading. In contrasting creationism with evolution, a process that is almost always restricted to addressing the variety of life, it suggest that the creationism v. evolution issue also involves the origin of the universe.
I just took the common usage from google.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Cre·a·tion·ism
krēˈāSHəˌnizəm/
noun
Where is hte world did you get that crazy definition of creationism?

Edit:
Nevermind.
It is the Oxford Dictionary.
Wow.
That is sad.
I mean, when a dictionary panders to the propaganda.....

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Where is hte world did you get that crazy definition of creationism?

Edit:
Nevermind.
It is the Oxford Dictionary.
Wow.
That is sad.
I mean, when a dictionary panders to the propaganda.....

What do you mean? Standard dictionaries are designed for a particular purpose, and they neither aim to or are capable of encompassing the full denotations and connotations of words across various cultures, subcultures, and specialized disciplines.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
How we define "creationism" online is very different from how it's defined in open discussion.
We obviously have a huge amount of resources at our disposal, a dictionary being the most useful one.

I could example "theist" as a term that is used similarly offline as "creationism" is.
I've seen many people say theist is a "strange" term, when it is actually quite simple.

While semantics games might not be the most fun to play, you need to get halfway to one to have a real discussion.
If someone came to me and equated theism with spirituality from a specific viewpoint, I would disagree as that is not true.
Linguistically it seems to be, but it is not by definition or proper phrasing.
Creationism has the same sort of effect.

There are rather famous people whom debate creationism, and refer to it as some sort of ubiquitous terminology.
As though it were prominent in everything, whilst its definition says otherwise.
Some people would do good to refer to a dictionary now and then, to keep the word playing field even.

Not that it actually matters, so long as definitions can be agreed on, proper discourse can proceed.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Cre·a·tion·ism
krēˈāSHəˌnizəm/
noun
fess up....your line drawn cannot be met.
verifiable?
as in photo? fingerprint? equation? repeatable experiment?

you know very well ......the pivot was built in

Faith needs no proving.....see Webster's

leibowde84

Veteran Member
fess up....your line drawn cannot be met.
verifiable?
as in photo? fingerprint? equation? repeatable experiment?

you know very well ......the pivot was built in

Faith needs no proving.....see Webster's
A simple "no" would be fine.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
A simple "no" would be fine.
not for you.....
and a positive answer, you will not accept.

it's your line drawn, and you assume opponents care to cross it......
all the while you just say.....nay, not verifiable

you have created another thread of simple denial

leibowde84

Veteran Member
not for you.....
and a positive answer, you will not accept.

it's your line drawn, and you assume opponents care to cross it......
all the while you just say.....nay, not verifiable

you have created another thread of simple denial
I was merely curious is there was any evidence that I am unaware of. Just curious.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
What do you mean? Standard dictionaries are designed for a particular purpose, and they neither aim to or are capable of encompassing the full denotations and connotations of words across various cultures, subcultures, and specialized disciplines.
The fact that evolution has nothing to do with how life started....
That a dictionary would pander to that falsehood is most damaging to said dictionaries credibility.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The fact that evolution has nothing to do with how life started....
That a dictionary would pander to that falsehood is most damaging to said dictionaries credibility.

That's not how the definition read to me at all. Origin of living organisms includes explaining biodiversity, which directly relates to evolution, and the definition made a point of saying "such as" to make it obvious that evolution is an example of a naturalistic explanation.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I was merely curious is there was any evidence that I am unaware of. Just curious.
look in the mirror and call yourself an accident....
does that seem correct?
all that complexity coming together over centuries.....in spite of the improbability....
and there you are...looking at some accident?

and then look about you...
billions of copies, each one unique
each one forming a unique spirit
and the results end up in a box, in the ground

Eternal darkness is physically real.

choose