• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Venting: The Word "God"

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
My skin crawls when I see and hear the word god. If I don't see it on RF, I see it on Facebook where my family wants everyone to bless so-and-so for better health. The word god is mentioned when I talk with my friend. The word god is mentioned when I talk to a stranger twice in the past few days and both said god bless you. My skin crawls when I hear the word god.

Not Jesus.
Not Muhammad
Not Bahallauh
Not any Hindu god
Not any Pagan god

Just the word god.

God is defined as an object or person of worship. I cringe when I hear worship. How can anyone bow, literally bow to where they will give their life and time to with whom or what that person considers a god(s)? Worship, to me, is like degrading yourself in relation to another person or thing. Worship does not mean reverence or genuine mutual respect.

God (or goddess) is a personification of nature or the earth. We personify things all the time; and, I feel if we want to know the true nature of something, we go to the heart. If we want to revere nature, we see and call nature by its name. We call the sun, the sun. We call the wind, the wind. We call the earth, the earth. Spirit is a personification of the emotions, experiences, and energy-physical and mental-within us. Call it as it is. That is like calling my friend by a name I decide to give her rather than calling her by her own name.

God is the spirit in all things or the spirits in all things. We are alive because of many things not just one thing. Each of these things are very definable and very well easy and/or well worth the challenge of knowing. If we study and get to know the sun, we know how it affects us and how it literally is the source of giving us life. Same as water. Same as wind (gravity of the moon). Same as heat. Same as earth.

Yes, I know we have different preferences. This is a venting thread not telling people what people should believe and call things and defining god(s) for others.

It's just saying I cringe when I hear the word god. There are so many connotations behind the word that to hear it makes me think of things from murder in the bible to abstract and confusing concepts of Brahma to the personification and lack of blunt and direct recognition of nature and life itself.

I wouldn't know how to remove myself from a god-environment. I love language and expression. When something in language bothers me, it takes good understanding and personal dialogue (hence the reason I'm on this site) to get pass all that. I think it's backfiring.

That's the end of my venting. Remember. It's a venting thread. Nothing more.

GodsVoice

My skin crawls when I see and hear the word god. If I don't see it on RF, I see it on Facebook where my family wants everyone to bless so-and-so for better health. The word god is mentioned when I talk with my friend. The word god is mentioned when I talk to a stranger twice in the past few days and both said god bless you. My skin crawls when I hear the word god.

Not Jesus.
Not Muhammad
Not Bahallauh
Not any Hindu god
Not any Pagan god

Just the word god.

God is defined as an object or person of worship. I cringe when I hear worship. How can anyone bow, literally bow to where they will give their life and time to with whom or what that person considers a god(s)? Worship, to me, is like degrading yourself in relation to another person or thing. Worship does not mean reverence or genuine mutual respect.

God (or goddess) is a personification of nature or the earth. We personify things all the time; and, I feel if we want to know the true nature of something, we go to the heart. If we want to revere nature, we see and call nature by its name. We call the sun, the sun. We call the wind, the wind. We call the earth, the earth. Spirit is a personification of the emotions, experiences, and energy-physical and mental-within us. Call it as it is. That is like calling my friend by a name I decide to give her rather than calling her by her own name.

God is the spirit in all things or the spirits in all things. We are alive because of many things not just one thing. Each of these things are very definable and very well easy and/or well worth the challenge of knowing. If we study and get to know the sun, we know how it affects us and how it literally is the source of giving us life. Same as water. Same as wind (gravity of the moon). Same as heat. Same as earth.

Yes, I know we have different preferences. This is a venting thread not telling people what people should believe and call things and defining god(s) for others.

It's just saying I cringe when I hear the word god. There are so many connotations behind the word that to hear it makes me think of things from murder in the bible to abstract and confusing concepts of Brahma to the personification and lack of blunt and direct recognition of nature and life itself.

I wouldn't know how to remove myself from a god-environment. I love language and expression. When something in language bothers me, it takes good understanding and personal dialogue (hence the reason I'm on this site) to get pass all that. I think it's backfiring.

I totally understand how you feel. That's why I use the name, "Creator", or "Master Programmer" instead. Also, the true God is the Mind. So whatever is formed in your Mind such as thoughts, images, music, etc. is God. It won't be long before all people will hear the voice within their Mind. Then you will know the Teacher of all things.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Did you vent because you're mad at someone?
No. I just cringe when I hear the word god. Nothing more.

Edit: The only god-believer that I had temporary harsh feelings with was a elder priest who yelled at me in confession four years ago because I wondered if he had fall asleep. He must have been startled when I asked can he see me.

Now Nichiren Shoshu Buddhists I have issues with but only because they verbally and physically literally tried to get me to join their faith and literally (as they count during sermons) count new members they gathered shakabukuing (evangalizing in japanese).

I totally understand how you feel. That's why I use the name, "Creator", or "Master Programmer" instead. Also, the true God is the Mind. So whatever is formed in your Mind such as thoughts, images, music, etc. is God. It won't be long before all people will hear the voice within their Mind. Then you will know the Teacher of all things.

God is every one of those things. God is a person or object of worship. Many gods. One god/consciousness. Nature. Creator. Force. Energy.

Im refering to the word itself. I have no issue with other gods. Thank god I came into christianity as an adult (pun intended). I reflected and observe what is healthy for my spiritual well being. god-faiths are not.

The word "God" makes me cringe too. Fortunately everyone I know is an atheist.
Haha. I trade places? I cant go a day without hearing the word.

hence, I can't answer these subjective questions

There are no questions. Just venting. All opinions and comments.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Not Jesus.
Not Muhammad
Not Bahallauh
Not any Hindu god
Not any Pagan god

Just the word god.

Family have strong opinions about everything including God. If you can get away with it try using the word 'Theos' instead of 'God'. I think it more directly reflects your concept of God in people and in everything, and perhaps it will provide a way of expressing your frustration and your understanding. Best of luck.