• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Veils

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
My head is naked. Staff told me to take off my religious veil I wear all the time cuz my temperature has been up for the past few days. They thought me wearing it posed a safety risk as they trying to get my temp down. I told them to go wash it then since I'm allowed to not wear the headscarf if it poses a safety hazard or if its in the wash. I dont like it. My head feels bare. I doubt a bit fabric makes much of difference...i dont know tho

Anyone know if it does make a difference? Are there headscarves that are made for hotter weather since we on the topic?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Any covering helps retain heat. Lightweight material will only make a little difference. Heavier material will retain more heat.

Though the old story that we loose most heat through our heads is a myth. It turns out heat loss is fairly equal all over the body. So covering the head is not going to make any more difference than wearing a tee shirt.

Do We Really Lose Half our Body Heat From our Heads?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Any covering helps retain heat. Lightweight material will only make a little difference. Heavier material will retain more heat.

Though the old story that we loose most heat through our heads is a myth. It turns out heat loss is fairly equal all over the body. So covering the head is not going to make any more difference than wearing a tee shirt.

Sounds like a good enough reason to get naked!:D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

The "truth" is in the fact that people commonly don't
cover their heads much relative to other body parts.
So heat loss there would be highest cuz of common
practice. What's the use of this claim, false or not?
When cold, cover yer noggin.
The colder, the more so.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
My head is naked. Staff told me to take off my religious veil I wear all the time cuz my temperature has been up for the past few days. They thought me wearing it posed a safety risk as they trying to get my temp down. I told them to go wash it then since I'm allowed to not wear the headscarf if it poses a safety hazard or if its in the wash. I dont like it. My head feels bare. I doubt a bit fabric makes much of difference...i dont know tho

Anyone know if it does make a difference? Are there headscarves that are made for hotter weather since we on the topic?

Try a dupatta. Its very lightweight I wear them sometimes in the heat(or cold), and I find they make very little difference to my temperature.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The "truth" is in the fact that people commonly don't
cover their heads much relative to other body parts.
So heat loss there would be highest cuz of common
practice. What's the use of this claim, false or not?
When cold, cover yer noggin.
The colder, the more so.

Yes it would if you were clothed. Of course if using scientific procedure then for whatever parts of the body were measured, equal clothing would ensure the validity of the results.

And in this particular case we are talking veils

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes it would if you were clothed. Of course if using scientific procedure then for whatever parts of the body were measured, equal clothing would ensure the validity of the results.

And in this particular case we are talking veils
Me no wear veil unless very cold & windy.

Heyo

Veteran Member

I usually don't wear headwear, even though it is fashionable on the medieval market. I do wear a waistband hood when it is exceptionally hot - soaked in water.
You could try to wear a (slightly/partially) wet veil to bring your temperature down. But be ware, it could also make you catch a cold.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
I usually don't wear headwear, even though it is fashionable on the medieval market. I do wear a waistband hood when it is exceptionally hot - soaked in water.
You could try to wear a (slightly/partially) wet veil to bring your temperature down. But be ware, it could also make you catch a cold.
I'll try that.