• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vegetarians/Vegans: Eat the Meat or Let It Go to Waste?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Having not eaten meat for 6 or 7 years, and then trying to eat some; I got the same reaction that many other vegans have experienced in a similar situation. Which is to say, we become VIOLENTLY ILL.
giphy.gif

It's like food poisoning to eat the meat. Vomiting for hours and hours, followed by days of nausea and feeling horrible. o_O
Meat is bad stuff. Asking others, it seems that most people who have seriously avoided meat, diary, etc... for more than 6 months, all have the same reaction to eating meat.

@Quintessence post above (compost it) is probably the best response. But if you've been eating well (no meat) for more than a year, I STRONGLY recommend that you don't jump back into that pit of vomit.
I rarely ask my mother to babysit. But, I had to go to my grandmother's house to look through some things. It was requested not to bring the kids for this venture.

My mom hardly held out the three hours they were with her, and was begging for relief. I got the kids home. Within a few hours, one of them suddenly vomited all over the floor. I called to ask if he was okay when he was with her(he has some communication disabilities stemming from autism), and she said he was. I asked if he ate anything over there. "Yeah, some crackers and a hot dog." I asked her why in the [fill in creative vocabulary here] she would give him(who is a lifelong vegetarian, and can't discern between a real hot dog and a veggie dog) meat. She said he said he wanted it, so why shouldn't he have it? I said "he's been asking for a beer since kindergarten, should we crack him one of those open, too?" She took my point. And, she knew better.

I remain cordial, but have kept my distance since(not the only issue we've had with her).

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Inspired by another's post, I wonder how other vegetarians or vegans feel about prepared meat being wasted.

Hypothetical: You are invited to an event. The host preparing the food is unaware of your diet and has prepared a dish for you that contains meat. From a moral standpoint, since at this point whether or not the food is eaten has no impact on anything but you, is it better to eat the food or to let it go to waste?
Just the smell makes me want to barf - plus it's unhealthy - so someone else at the event would have to have the pleasure.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Having not eaten meat for 6 or 7 years, and then trying to eat some; I got the same reaction that many other vegans have experienced in a similar situation. Which is to say, we become VIOLENTLY ILL.
giphy.gif

It's like food poisoning to eat the meat. Vomiting for hours and hours, followed by days of nausea and feeling horrible. o_O
Meat is bad stuff. Asking others, it seems that most people who have seriously avoided meat, diary, etc... for more than 6 months, all have the same reaction to eating meat.

@Quintessence post above (compost it) is probably the best response. But if you've been eating well (no meat) for more than a year, I STRONGLY recommend that you don't jump back into that pit of vomit.
I puke from fake meat.