• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vegetarianism

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
You may not know, but I am a vegetarian. So I was wondering if there are any who have good, meatless recipes :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
There is a ton of good stuff on line. Not just recipes, but sound nutritional advice like complementary proteins, where to get B12, iron, and that sort of thing.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
There is a ton of good stuff on line. Not just recipes, but sound nutritional advice like complementary proteins, where to get B12, iron, and that sort of thing.

Well lately iv been getting sick, over and over. So it maybe because of some lack of nutrition. Any good links?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Sambar Sambar Recipe is one of my favorite easy to prepare dishes. Its a comfort food around here. You just throw it on brown rice, and add some yoghurt on top. You can adjust the quantities or vegetables a lot, and cut back on the salt. The main ingredient, pink lentil (dal) is loaded in protein. If you can get to an Indian store, buy some premix sambar masala.

work in progress

Rather than start a new thread about this study that shows an alarming connection between eating red meat -- especially processed meats and cancer, I'll drop it in here, since many of us are vegan or vegetarian largely for dietary reasons:
Eating Processed Meat and Red Meat Significantly Raises Risk of Death (Study) | Healthy Living - Yahoo! Shine
most alarming part:
eating as little as two pieces of bacon or one hot dog a day upped their mortality rate by 20% over a 20-year period. A small, three-ounce serving of red meat a day (about the size of a deck of cards) increased mortality by 13%.
That's even worse than I expected! And the good news:
Eating a serving of nuts instead of red meat was associated with a 19% lower risk of mortality. Choosing poultry over red meat was linked with a 14% lower risk of dying.
I don't know about poultry being that much safer than red meat! Certainly, you have a lot more concern about botulism and food poisoning if you eat a lot of chicken or turkey. And, if your health concerns are having a high level of production of LDL cholesterols, switching to different types of meat doesn't provide any help, since all animal products contain cholesterols. Better to study the alternatives to the meat and dairy diet.
lk031412dAPR-500.jpg

Me Myself

Back to my username
Sick? if you are too pale it may be lack of iron. It would be good if you told us more! D:

Brocolli is a great source of iron for a vegetarian.

When I feel I haven´t eaten iron lately I eat a bowl of brocoli. The thing about veg iron sources, is that they must be eaten at the same time you eat something with vitamin C, because vegetal iron is diferent than meat iron, and it is more difficult to absorb than the meat iron.

The simple remedy is to eat brocoli or tomato when you dont have your iron of the day (both tomato and brocoli have BOTH iron AND vitamin C, so they are aorund the best source of iron for us :D )

People never guess I am vegetarian now if I don´t tell them. I am in no way less healthy nor I look pale.

About recipes, hummm hav you tried falafel? I LOOOOOOVE falafel! :D it is an arabic thing, very good! it has the texture I missed of meat without having any of it, good taste too.

There is also soy withg peanut butter (or like they say in Ecuador "Guatita de soya!" ):D

edit: also! reduce dramatically any intake of coffe or any smooking if you think you may have low iron. Both coffe and smoking make you have poorer iron absorption from vegetarian sources, while vitamin C makes you have a far better absorption! :D

TurkeyOnRye

There is also a substantial amount of disinformation online. Readers beware. Filter your information results to .edu and (some) .gov domains only.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
There is also a substantial amount of disinformation online. Readers beware. Filter your information results to .edu and (some) .gov domains only.

Good point. My general rule of thumb is that if it's backed by an industry, beware. At one time large tobacco promoted their product as healthy, and no one stood against it, so look what happened. Of course the producer of any food wants you to eat a ton of that food.

Not only that, but many food industries support expensive lobby groups, so even the .gov sites may not be all that trustworthy. Here in Canada, some 20 years ago the government tried to change the Canada Food Guide, but a couple of lobby groups put up such a huge fuss that they jammed out. Sad.

TurkeyOnRye

Thankfully I have access to a scientific journal database at school, so when I want to do research (nutrition, for example), I look up articles there.

ScottySatan

I dislike meat. I'm from New Mexico. Below is one of my favorites: green chilaquiles. It's a traditional breakfast food. Use queso fresco. Chayote is much better than chicken. Put a couple of eggs on top. I usually don't bother to roast the tomatillos and chiles, just sautee them; but roasting makes it taste better if you want to do the effort. YOu can also make a red version with tomato and red chile.

Mexican Green Chilaquiles Recipe

Uragand-2

JacobEzra,

Do you eat eggs and cheese, or are you a pure vegetarian?

For health reasons, I try to eat a vegetarian lunch every day, but that lunch sometimes includes milk or cheese.. The fact that there is an Indian restaurant near my home makes it quite easy.

Last edited:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Fantastic Asian soup - in Vietnam it's called "pho" but it's also popular in Thai and Korean cuisine. Very spicy, zingy, and energizing! I make it all the time and my family loves it!

How-to-Make-Pho.jpg

Get some of this stuff (any version of it will do - some say "pho soup base" or "Thai pho soup mix").
quoc-viet-thai-tom-yum-soup-base-10-oz.jpg

I think it's vegetarian, or you can get a vegetarian version.

While you're at the Asian market, buy some kimchee, unless you make your own (I do, and if you want a recipe for that, I can get it to you - it's FABULOUS and easy to make and once you put it in the jars it lasts a long time).

1no.PNG

You will also need some of this:

Sriracha-Hot-Chili-Sauce-500x500.jpg

(this stuff is amazing - but very hot, so ease into it!)

I also like this stuff too:
$(KGrHqN,!ksE3OJ,vHQpBOT3ShLBv!~~48_35.JPG

You need these (thin rice noodles):

41012.jpg

But all of this specialty Asian stuff is TOO EXPENSIVE on Amazon - if you have a half way decent Asian market you can get it there for cheap, cheap, cheap.

Next, buy some bok choy - or if you can't find any, just get some more cabbage, and some fresh scallions, and chop them up pretty fine.

Chunk up some nice, ripe, fresh tomatoes.

Chop up some fresh basil and some fresh cilantro.

Slice a lime into wedges.

Wash some bean sprouts.

OK, all you do is heat the broth to boiling (usually two teaspoons to each two cups of water - I usually mix up about six cups of water for two people). When it's boiling, throw in the kimchee, cabbage/bok choy/scallions/tomatoes. Let that boil for about five minutes. Add the rice noodles. ONLY LET THEM BOIL FOR ABOUT FOUR MINUTES or they get gummy.

Remove from heat. Ladle into a bowl. Add the sririacha/Chili paste and hot pepper paste to taste. Sprinkle fresh cilantro and basil and bean sprouts on top. Squirt with fresh lime.

ENJOY! It is so good you won't even believe it!

Do not be tempted to put things like carrots and celery in it - or you'll end up with something that tastes like beef stew and I don't think that's the taste you're wanting. Pho has a very fresh, invigorating, spicy taste that really dances on your tongue - think about the hotness, then the freshness of basil and cilantro, then the punch of that fresh lime - YUM!

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
I'm a bit of a glutten in that I'm open to new foods, and have a very very few dislikes.

And I'm very interested in "foreign" tastes.

No Hurry Veggie Curry (crock pot recipe)

Learn to soak/cook dried beans, you'll save a lot of money.

Lentils are a quick alternative to time it takes to get from dry to eatable,
Loaded with protein, iron and fiber.

Spinach is your friend.

If you're worried about nutrition work on eating as many colours as you can,
And the darker the better.

Lots of good v-tarian nutrition sites out there as well.

You a picky eater at all?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I make stir fry a lot. I get away with making it so much since I just switch up a few veggies here and there and call it a different dinner than last time.

It goes something like this:
-Make rice.
-Meanwhile, put coconut oil in a stir fry pan, and then add sprouted tofu and heat. As it gets golden, add broccoli, celery, scallions, other types of vegetables, soy sauce, rice vinegar, etc. Then I just cook enough to get the veggies hot but still crunchy- only a few minutes. Put rice on plates, add a bit of sesame oil to the stir fry at the last few seconds, then drain a bit, and serve over the rice.