• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vegetarian/Vegan recipies

Circle_One

Hey guys.

My household (myself, my son, my roommate and her daughter) is a Vegetarian one and we're always looking for new, yummy Vegetarian recipies to try out and introduce to the kids (it's been hard weaning them off meat. Especially McDonalds, :help: ). So I figure there's probably other Vegetarians here and was wondering if any of you have any yummy recipies that you can give me. Especially ones that you've tried out on kids and have had success with.

Eventually, we'll be weaning them off of animal products all together, so if you have any wicked Vegan recipies too, that would be amazing.

Thank you muchly :)

Booko

Deviled Hen
Circle_One said:
Hey guys.

My household (myself, my son, my roommate and her daughter) is a Vegetarian one and we're always looking for new, yummy Vegetarian recipies to try out and introduce to the kids (it's been hard weaning them off meat. Especially McDonalds, :help: ). So I figure there's probably other Vegetarians here and was wondering if any of you have any yummy recipies that you can give me. Especially ones that you've tried out on kids and have had success with.

Eventually, we'll be weaning them off of animal products all together, so if you have any wicked Vegan recipies too, that would be amazing.

I posted a roasted veggie recipe recently, which Bastet just tried out.

I also highly recommend another roasted veggie recipe called "Fainting Imam." I googled "fainting imam recipe" and came up with some decent looking hits. It's eggplant stuffed with other veggies, mostly onions and colorful bell peppers.

I'm assuming you already do a good veggie/vegan lasagna. I thought I would not be able to eat lasagna again, even with whole wheat noodles, but with some silken tofu and sheep's milk cheese, I can do so again. Though I'm temporarily off soy now. :(

Circle_One

Yeah, I just saw that recipe. We will DEFINITELY be trying it out soon. It sounds delicious.

Mm.. all kinds of Veggie pasta are my specialty. The kids love Veggie Lasagna because it still looks like they're eating "meat", but they're not, so I make that frequently around here.

I haven't yet moved onto soy products. It's been hard enough to get them off just meat at the moment. Once they're used to it, then we'll go for Vegan. They're getting good though. Now I only hear "Awwwww McDonalds!" every third time we drive past one :biglaugh:

Another of my absolute favorite recipies is Stuffed Peppers. Big, yummy green peppers stuffed with rice. Mmm.. my mouth is watering now!

Aww, how come you're temporarily off soy?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
One of our favorite recipes in our household is a four-vegetable style latkes:

1 large russet potato
1 zucchini
1 onion
1 large carrot
1 egg (or egg-replacer for vegan recipe)
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper
peanut oil for frying

Heat 1-2 tbsp of oil on a skillet over medium-high heat.
Finely grate the first four ingredients, then press the water out of the grated veggies. Mix in the egg or egg-replacer and the flour, a pinch of salt and dash of pepper, then the basil and the red pepper flakes.

This batch usually makes about 4 patties, so I then form 4 patties and put them on the skillet to fry for about 4-5 minutes on each side. They turn a beautiful golden brown, BTW.

I serve them with either sour cream or applesauce, whichever anyone prefers. Obviously the vegan would prefer applesauce or, say, a soy-based sour cream. *yummy*

This dish has taken on a life of it's own at our house............it's right up there with spaghetti nights and stir-fry because of it's simplicity and quickness. Even my husband, who loves his meat-and-potato dishes that will "stick to the ribs," starts drooling when he comes home, asks what dinner will be, and I say:

LATKES!!! :drool:

Peace,
Mystic

Circle_One

Oh man, Mystic, this sounds so delicious. Especially with Applesauce! Applesauce is a staple at our house. The four of us eat it religiously :D

Yay! Wait until I get home from work and bring home all these yummy recipies to try! Tara's going to be so excited.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Have you tried any of the faux-meat, soy/seitan products, Circle? For kids used to hot-dogs and burgers there are a lot of imitation meat products that might ease the transition. The better ones are indistinguishable from their fleshy counterparts.

Circle_One

Yeah, I use some of it. The kids love Smart Dogs and Tofu Pups. With the the former, they could barely tell the difference. I quite enjoy them myself.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Ooh, ooh, oooooohhhhh! I have another one!

Have you tried serving hummus with pita bread? How about falafels? They're another big hit at our house when we have them every now and then.

I also like on our "lazy" nights when we simply have a huge jar of mild salsa with blue corn chips. That's when hummus seems to fit in, too, when we just don't want to cook. Falafels are a little more involved, but they do really well with a vegan style tahini-lemon sauce in pocket breads. And, they are so economical, tasty, and healthy (depending on if they're deep-fried or baked).

I concur with the Smart Dogs..............they're really really good. I've made them mostly as appetizers cut in 2-inch sections, wrapped in crescent rolls, and served with BBQ dipping sauce.

Good thread idea, C1! :) :flower:

Peace,
Mystic

Circle_One

I'm going to be a master chef after all of this! I'm not a big cook, so I'm learning as I go along, but now with all these tasty recipes, I'll be amazing in no time! Thanks everyone! Keep 'em coming! :D

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Original style Boca Burgers are vegan but indistinguishable from regular hamburgers.
Do you have Boca-Burgers in Montreal?

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Here's one they'll love! Heck, it's one of my favorites :D It tastes great and takes about two minutes to make:

You need a tortilla (I use wheat, but corn or any other kind works just as well), peanut butter, a banana, and about a teaspoon of blackstrap molasses. Be sure to use blackstrap and not regular molasses... blackstrap has more iron in it.

Spread the peanut butter on the tortilla, cut up banana slices and put it on there, then drizzle a teaspoon of the molasses... and that's it! It's got protein from the peanut butter, iron from the blackstrap molasses, and various goodies from the wheat.

Circle_One

Ooooh, thank you Jensa, I can just see the kiddies digging into that. I might just try that one tonight.

Circle_One

Seyorni said:
Original style Boca Burgers are vegan but indistinguishable from regular hamburgers.
Do you have Boca-Burgers in Montreal?

I have no idea. I'll definitely look into though. The veggie burgers I usually buy aren't that great, haha.

Alright, so I guess it's time for me to post a recipe, since everyone else has done it for me. This is one of my all time favorite meals. I make it for the family at least once a week.

Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers (Mmmm... I'm drooling just thinking about them).

6 medium green peppers
2 cups cooked rice
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1 cup chopped onion
1 small can tomatoes
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 cup bread crumbs (I know some people who use Wheat Germ instead here)
1 1/4 cup grated Cheddar cheese

Cut off the tops of the peppers and remove and discard seeds. Dice the tops, discarding the stems, and mix all ingredients, but save 1/2 cup of cheese.

Stuff the peppers and place them in a round microwave casserole. Put extra filling around the peppers. They should fit tightly. Cover with plastic wrap, piercing 4-5 times for vents.

Microwave on High for about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese. Cover and let stand for 2-3 minutes then serve.

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
All of the recipes I've posted in this section of the forum are vegetarian. I recommend Booko's roasted veggies recipe too, I don't think there's a kid alive who wouldn't eat that! :faint:

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
A quick sandwich can be made by finely chopping different vegetables…I use avocado, sweet pepper, carrots, onions, tomato (I peel off the skins), cucumber and shredded lettuce. I chop the vegetables to a size similar to the vegetables in Chinese fried rice. I add salt to taste and some olive oil. I toss everything and eat with whole wheat bread. The avocado gives the sandwich the most flavour. However, you can try it without avocado if you don’t have any, or you can use cheese instead. If you eat cheese, buy the rennet free type. Rennet is something taken from the cow’s stomach to help cure the cheese. You can use any variety of vegetables you like, just add salt and olive oil and toss. I sometimes add hot pepper. You can too if you like pepper. It’s very healthy because it’s raw food (excluding the bread of course).

Booko

Deviled Hen
MysticSang'ha said:
Have you tried serving hummus with pita bread?

My favorite healthy snack food.

How about falafels? They're another big hit at our house when we have them every now and then.

I haven't made them much lately, but I may make some for this Friday's holy day. We're doing "heavy hors d'ourvres" so falafel would be good for that. And I can't think of any food allergy triggers in them either. Hurrah!

Oh, re: your veggie latke recipe...have you ever tried them with sweet potato instead of Irish potato? Would that work, do you think? Potatos are something I'm supposed to avoid, along with the other "white" foods like white rice and white sugar.

Falafels are a little more involved, but they do really well with a vegan style tahini-lemon sauce in pocket breads. And, they are so economical, tasty, and healthy (depending on if they're deep-fried or baked).

<<wonders what a non-vegan tahini-lemon sauce would look like>>

Do you make your falafels starting with chickpea flour, or do you go the whole route having to soak the chickpeas overnight, cook them, etc...?

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Circle_One said:
Hey guys.

I'm not vegetarian but, obviously, all our fasting recipes are vegan. We have a whole book of them collected by a presbytera (that's a priest's wife) in Romania and, if you're interested I can happily translate some for you. Let me know if there's anything you particularly like or dislike. I'm afraid that I can't pick out any recipes that work particularly well on kids, because we have the reverse problem with our son (and Sabina eats literally anything ever since she's started weaning) in that we have no problem geting to eat vegetables but you might as well not bother trying to feed him meat or fish. I jokingly refer to him as 'the monk' as a result. I do have a good falafel recipe that goes down well with the entire family if you're interested, though.

James

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
JamesThePersian said:
I'm not vegetarian but, obviously, all our fasting recipes are vegan.
Is abstaining from all animal products in food particular to Orthodox fastings or your family's in particular? :)