• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UU & Religious Humanism

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
One definition of Humanism is offered by the AHA:
Humanism is a progressive lifestance that, without supernaturalism, affirms our ability and responsibility to lead meaningful, ethical lives capable of adding to the greater good of humanity. • American Humanist Association
Is there, given such a definition, the possibility of a coherent UU-Humanism? Put somewhat differently, can there be an Abrahamic theology compatible with religious humanism?

Davidium

Ok, several issues here....

First, I would not call the modern UU movement an "Abrahamic Theology". Historically, yes, UU did form from two christian denominations, the Unitarians and the Universalists. Unitarians believed in Reason and disbelieved in the trinity... Universalists believed that all are saved and go to heaven. Now while Christians of the Unitarian or Universalist perspective are members of the modern UU movement, they make up approximately 15-20 percent of the UU total membership. Less thatn 1/5th.

Modern UU theology is more about the concept of "Right Relations" than it is about any particular creed or faith tradition. In other words, it is about how we choose to live together, not what we believe. While the UUA is currently exploring the question of unified theology, I beleive it is best expressed by the "seven Principles"...

We, the member congregations of the Unitarian Universalist Association, covenant to affirm and promote
  • The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
  • Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
  • Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
  • A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
  • The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
  • The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
  • Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
Notice that none of these are what most denominations would consider a "belief" and are more about values. They all relate to how we choose to live together. Belief becomes secondary to our relationship with one another. We move beyond "toleration" of other beliefs into actively seeking to learn about them, learn from them, and find religious community with those who believe in them.

Kinda like Religious Forums in a way, huh?

Now, getting closer to the meat of your question, we come to the "6 faith traditions" that have been identified as the major influences on UU'ism.

The living tradition which we share draws from many sources:
  • Direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces which create and uphold life;
  • Words and deeds of prophetic women and men which challenge us to confront powers and structures of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love;
  • Wisdom from the world's religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life;
  • Jewish and Christian teachings which call us to respond to God's love by loving our neighbors as ourselves;
  • Humanist teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science, and warn us against idolatries of the mind and spirit.
  • Spiritual teachings of earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature.
Grateful for the religious pluralism which enriches and ennobles our faith, we are inspired to deepen our understanding and expand our vision. As free congregations we enter into this covenant, promising to one another our mutual trust and support
There it is.... Humanist teachings. In fact, UU Humanists were the driving force behind the movement that originally united the Unitarians and Universalists. One of the largest organizations within the UUA is for Humanists... http://www.americanhumanist.org/hsfamily/huumanist.html

Most UU's are at least part humanist... I know I am. In the wedding service I perform, there is a line in the vows that says "I will seek always to see the light of Divinity within you, and to show the light of divinity within me."

I believe that all human religious expression is inherently human in origin... and focues mostly on the divine within us.

When you realize that UU'ism, in its modern context, is much more about how we live together, and much less about what we individually believe, you then begin to see that any personal religious tradition that believes in the validity of other faiths, equality, compassion, and understanding is not contrary to Unitarian Universalism... and that if you believe those things, you too can find a home in a local UU Church.

YoUUrs in Faith,

David Pyle
Galveston Island, TX
www.uugalveston.org
www.dynamicdeism.org
www.iuuda.org

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Davidium said:
Now, getting closer to the meat of your question, we come to the "6 faith traditions" that have been identified as the major influences on UU'ism.
The "meat of my question" had to do with acceptance of and compatibility with the AHA definition of Humanism. Thanks for your comments.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Deut. 32.8 said:
The "meat of my question" had to do with acceptance of and compatibility with the AHA definition of Humanism. Thanks for your comments.
Deut,

Yo might like to look at This site:)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
michel said:
Deut, Yo might like to look at This site:)
Not really. This is not a venue for debate, and I am uninterested in polemics about how "UU humanism necessarily requires the rejection of our humanity." If you wish to persue the point, I suggest you do it in the appropriate forum.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Deut. 32.8 said:
One definition of Humanism is offered by the AHA:
Humanism is a progressive lifestance that, without supernaturalism, affirms our ability and responsibility to lead meaningful, ethical lives capable of adding to the greater good of humanity. • American Humanist Association
Is there, given such a definition, the possibility of a coherent UU-Humanism? Put somewhat differently, can there be an Abrahamic theology compatible with religious humanism?
Namaste Deut! :)

All UUs are humanists, whether they use the label or no. The very idea of freedom of conscience upon which our pluralism is based - the idea that beliefs cannot be externally imposed upon a person - is predicated on the sanctity of human agency and worth. Theistic beliefs within UU cannot violate that foundation. Any and all forms of theism, where it exists in UU, serve to enable and nurture humanism - to answer the question of why it is we have agency and worth, and to be a source of comfort/strength in doing social justice work, without impinging on our ability or responsiblity.

I would say that liberal Abrahamic theologies are compatible with religious humanism. Liberation theologies are certainly compatible. Process theology is compatible (tho I don't know if that still counts as Abrahamic). Most forms of mysticism are compatible - Kabbalah, Sufism, the Christian mystics. The thing that I think they all have in common is the union of God and man, so that God's will is expressed thru humanity, not imposed externally. Humans are seen as good (tho imperfect), and when we express our goodness, we express godliness thru our own choices. As opposed to the conservative view of these religions where humans are seen as bad and in need of being constrained and brought into conformity with God's will.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Deut. 32.8 said:
How do you see mysticism as compatible with naturalism?
I don't know that it is. Some theisms - such as some forms of deism, pantheism, and panentheism - are compatible with methodological naturalism as a means of gathering knowledge about the universe. (The different kinds of mysticism, so far as I am aware, are either pantheistic or panentheistic.) But ultimately all theisms affirm some sort of transcendant reality, whether it's a god that creates and then leaves the scene or a god that acts thru existence. If naturalism as a worldview holds that everything can be explained thru natural law, then all forms of theism are incompatible with naturalism, imo.

The closest that I can get to compatiblity is to argue that pantheism is non-dualistic, making no distinction between the natural and the supernatural. God does not act except thru what we call the natural. No popping in and out of space and time. No violation of natural law. But there is still God. To the extent that naturalism denies transcendant reality, theism and naturalism are incompatible (imo).

Is religious humanism necessarily tied to naturalism in your opinion?

PantaRhea

The naturalism based on dogmatic sensationist, atheistic, and materialistic assumptions, sometimes called scientism, is not compatible with theism. If naturalism is understood simply to be a rejection of supernaturalism, then it is compatible with certain forms of theism - such as Process Theism.

I generally agree with Ken Wilber's integral philosophy. While we can't make claims of knowing truth absolutely, we can judge the merits of a sytem of thought by looking at how integral the system is. A system which can integrate religion and science has more truth value than a system which denies a transcendent reality.

I believe Process Theism is an exception to your statement:

If naturalism as a worldview holds that everything can be explained thru natural law, then all forms of theism are incompatible with naturalism, imo.

Denying the existence of any kind of god which can intervene or occasionally interrupt nature's causal processes, Process Theists are in agreement with Whitehead "that all things great and small are conceivable as exemplifications of general principles which reign throughout the natural order... [so that] every detailed occurrence can be correlated with its antecedents in a perfectly definite manner, exemplifying general principles."

If we reject (for many reasons) the epistemology which is based on scientism, we find that mysticism can be integrated into a rational and scientific worldview. (See for example, RATIONAL MYSTICISM, by John Horgan.