• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UU and racial divide

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Taking out the religious aspect of Universal Unitarianism, this is hard for me, but are there any Universalist Churches with whom have people of color?

I read about their history and our American UU presidents faught for, etc. However, even today, throughout the country (and in the church I'm attending), there are virtually no people of color. Even people from other countries is far from few. I was watching one sermon from many across the States and she was Asian American. There is a huge emphasis on Black Lives Matter that I am not familiar with growing up in an middle class environment to put it simple.

The religious and social awareness is something I lean towards especially the roll in helping those LGBTQ among other activism in thought. The god of many names is the only way I understand the nature of "god" from a life perspective and not a spirit-ual one.

However, I'm the only black person literally in the church I go to. Everyone (generalizing here on purpose) is white.

I don't know if any RFians know about the political nature of Universalist Unitarian as with other activist groups. I'm not an activist by heart, so this throws me off guard.

Comments?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
To top it off, one day I went to church around Christmas, I believe. We had a part of the sermon where we tell a bit about or blessings or things we struggle. So, I talked a bit about my aunt who passed away.

Later, while they were having snacks downstairs, one participant sat next to me, asked my name, etc. Then he says "it's good to see someone whose *cough* people of color...umm...african american" he made a joke and we laughed. I have only had one racial experience in my life when a woman thought that my asking for ten cents for the bus meant I have people in Africa that need help...so she gives me a five dollar bill instead.

I was literally stunned.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Does it not depend on where you live somewhat? Don't congregations reflect the make-up of the diversity or lack of diversity within a certain area.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
To top it off, one day I went to church around Christmas, I believe. We had a part of the sermon where we tell a bit about or blessings or things we struggle. So, I talked a bit about my aunt who passed away.

Later, while they were having snacks downstairs, one participant sat next to me, asked my name, etc. Then he says "it's good to see someone whose *cough* people of color...umm...african american" he made a joke and we laughed. I have only had one racial experience in my life when a woman thought that my asking for ten cents for the bus meant I have people in Africa that need help...so she gives me a five dollar bill instead.

I was literally stunned.
One time I visited a city where I was the only white person. I was a shy person, so this activated my adrenaline. There was no place to hide. I felt like I was glowing like Rudolph's nose.

When you talk about whites and blacks here in our America, you're talking about groups of people who have lived somewhat apart mostly. There are going to be brain farts. Personality problems will be more obvious, less hidden by commonality. For example a lot of people are over-helpful and will step all over their tongues. That's what this man did. He was 1. assuming you were uncomfortable 2. trying to make you feel welcome 3. achieving the opposite.

Taking out the religious aspect of Universal Unitarianism, this is hard for me, but are there any Universalist Churches with whom have people of color?

I read about their history and our American UU presidents faught for, etc. However, even today, throughout the country (and in the church I'm attending), there are virtually no people of color. Even people from other countries is far from few. I was watching one sermon from many across the States and she was Asian American. There is a huge emphasis on Black Lives Matter that I am not familiar with growing up in an middle class environment to put it simple.

The religious and social awareness is something I lean towards especially the roll in helping those LGBTQ among other activism in thought. The god of many names is the only way I understand the nature of "god" from a life perspective and not a spirit-ual one.

However, I'm the only black person literally in the church I go to. Everyone (generalizing here on purpose) is white.

I don't know if any RFians know about the political nature of Universalist Unitarian as with other activist groups. I'm not an activist by heart, so this throws me off guard.

Comments?
I have not actually visited the Universalists, but I have visited a Unity church in a navy town. They have more of a mix than what you describe. The churches that are most integrated, today, are the evangelical churches. I'm not saying that they are the best. I'm saying they are the most integrated. I'm also not saying that they are fully integrated or that they have bridged the divide. They do try hard, however. If you want to see how its done then go there and find out what they are doing right, then apply it wherever you are. Again, I don't like evangelical churches; but they are the bleeding edge of integration along with the military. The military is a fantastic integrator, relative to most other institutions.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Does it not depend on where you live somewhat? Don't congregations reflect the make-up of the diversity or lack of diversity within a certain area.

I would think. The Black Lives Matter thing (or for UU, BLUU) are trying to get more "black" people into the UU Church. There is a huge history of black people who faught for civil rights for our country in the UU church since it's more of a political organization than a religious one (when the two denominations mixed). They do have some smaller churches/denominations predominantly for black people. As well as programs that promote as such.

Down here, it is hugely racial. Like if you go southern midstates, outside the city areas, is mostly black people and white. Hispanics among other nationalities are few in between. Years ago, when I was growing up, all I knew where "white and black." An elementary school white friend and I were playing dolls one time. She had a black doll and a white one. She asked me which doll I wanted. I picked the white one, she gave me the black.

We still have KKK organizations here that meet in another town about an hour from me. So, with churches, we have "black" baptist...then white southern baptist (and I'm not joking. Both churches probably have one black or white person in the pews; this is six years ago).

All in all, it depends on where you at. New York is highly diverse. Many northern states are more diverse. You go to West Virginia, three hours from me, it's less so.

Though, I'm speaking more about race rather than culture. Culturally, I would be considered "white"...so it's totally wacky.

But, ideally, yes. You're right.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
One time I visited a city where I was the only white person. I was a shy person, so this activated my adrenaline. There was no place to hide. I felt like I was glowing like Rudolph's nose.

When you talk about whites and blacks here in our America, you're talking about groups of people who have lived somewhat apart mostly. There are going to be brain farts. Personality problems will be more obvious, less hidden by commonality. For example a lot of people are over-helpful and will step all over their tongues. That's what this man did. He was 1. assuming you were uncomfortable 2. trying to make you feel welcome 3. achieving the opposite.

I have not actually visited the Universalists, but I have visited a Unity church in a navy town. They have more of a mix than what you describe. The churches that are most integrated, today, are the evangelical churches. I'm not saying that they are the best. I'm saying they are the most integrated. I'm also not saying that they are fully integrated or that they have bridged the divide. They do try hard, however. If you want to see how its done then go there and find out what they are doing right, then apply it wherever you are. Again, I don't like evangelical churches; but they are the bleeding edge of integration along with the military. The military is a fantastic integrator, relative to most other institutions.

Thanks. Yeah. The guy that sat with me was kinda nervous he said something. The congregation welcomes all people. I didn't get a sense of discrimination. When I was more in the Deaf Community, I got the same vibe. As a hearing person in a Deaf environment, it does "put you in place" where you stand regardless of how one is close to a specific community.

Reading and listening to their history, there is so much involved that if I didn't hear the religious and social work aspect, I would have never gone back. But, gosh. Sometimes when the congregation is singing, I would just look around in awe. I know that sounds off, but, well..

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Comments?
Back in the 60's, the UUA nearly bankrupted itself funneling money to the War on Racism.

One of the people who got offed by "True Christians" was James Reeb.
James Reeb - Wikipedia

Several years ago I decided to attempt to find black folks to join our extremely white fellowship. At the time, I was on the board of both my UU fellowship and the NAACP.

I understood why even black people who thought like us would be put off if they showed up for a service and were surrounded by a sea of white faces. I wanted to orchestrate an event that made black people feel welcome. Maybe some would stay.

There had to be black people who thought like us, at least some, right?
Turned out that there aren't. At least not around here. As the black leaders I spoke to explained, there's a reason that Sunday mornings are the most segregated hours of the week.

Religious people are generally very racist, black or white or other.
Tom

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Back in the 60's, the UUA nearly bankrupted itself funneling money to the War on Racism.

One of the people who got offed by "True Christians" was James Reeb.
James Reeb - Wikipedia

Several years ago I decided to attempt to find black folks to join our extremely white fellowship. At the time, I was on the board of both my UU fellowship and the NAACP.

I understood why even black people who thought like us would be put off if they showed up for a service and were surrounded by a sea of white faces. I wanted to orchestrate an event that made black people feel welcome. Maybe some would stay.

There had to be black people who thought like us, at least some, right?
Turned out that there aren't. At least not around here. As the black leaders I spoke to explained, there's a reason that Sunday mornings are the most segregated hours of the week.

Religious people are generally very racist, black or white or other.
Tom

Wow. That is sad. Basically, that's in many churches, temples, etc here. People stick within their cultural and language groups some so much it does get dangerous even if not physical or verbal.

I think it's a "leap of faith" to decide to be part of a congregation outside one's cultural and racial norms. Some people die before leaving their religion; so, it really does start with the person and, the history of whatever area one is from or lives.

I was never an political activist; but, there are LGBTQ organizations that have programs and events that I could be a part of without being "in front of the news" type of thing. UU does have a lot of resources on that, but being an organization and what you told me too, no one's perfect.

Thanks for the link. I can't imagine when a hospital won't even treat you... :(

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I would think. The Black Lives Matter thing (or for UU, BLUU) are trying to get more "black" people into the UU Church.

I disagree with this approach in attracting African-American membership. That is like having "Taco Tuesday" to attract Hispanic congregates. I do agree with what @Vinayaka said it may depend on the of the surrounding area. Most people still willfully and unwillingly misunderstand BLM.s where its at and having an open congregation for all people is probably the best option in a region where there aren't many persons of color. People seem to forget that even in a congregation some people still yearn for that ethnic cultural connection.

Mindmaster

Premium Member

It's not so much a UU problem as a "tribal one".

People of non-white races are generally unfavorable to other religious beliefs as a rule, and something eclectic as UU is certainly not in their conception. For example, personally having a lot of African-American friends -- they either stay the same religion their entire lives, or some related denomination (out of convenience, not having a church after they moved, or something of that nature). Or, if they had no religion growing up they stay that way. Also, there's a good half of them do not have favorable views of religions that are not historically involved with their culture. So, you may a lot of black American Christians and Muslims, but no Jews, no pagans, etc. Many are so far removed that they don't even understand that these other belief systems exist -- conversely, most of my white friends would completely know of Wiccans, Satanists (the real ones, not the movies), Zen, or Hindu religions and know enough about Islam to have a conversation. Admittedly, that's pretty anecdotal, but generally the white people just know more about things besides their own interests.

With Asians, it's simply that they hate non-Asians secretly so much that it's almost culturally ninja'd in. They don't even know they're doing it. :D Sure, there are probably a couple of Asians who might break that mold, but if you found one their a damn unicorn. (Keep them close, they're special!) :D

So, this is why I think the UU is "mostly white", it's because only white folks practice all sorts of paths and don't judge people enough not to hang with them over it. :D

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I disagree with this approach in attracting African-American membership. That is like having "Taco Tuesday" to attract Hispanic congregates. I do agree with what @Vinayaka said it may depend on the of the surrounding area.

Columbus gave some insight on the history. It's a political organization that came from christian foundations. Racism has always been in history. Black and white baptist churches is an example. Civil war has a lot to do with it.

Unless racism has nothing to do with religion, why would anyone in US think there is only segregated churches in one mini location but diverse everywhere else?

I mean, one black guy said to me when I told him here I was in the catholic church said: oh. you go to a white church. He said genuinely he thought Catholicism was full of white and hispanics. He also said why did I leave my roots (of the Baptist Church). Thats were our family from. Slavery and things like that.

UU isnt a black predominate church. How does racism depend on the area in the States when our whole history is made up of it?

Last edited:

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Columbus gave some insight on the history. It's a political organization that came from christian foundations. Racism has always been in history. Black and white baptist churches is an example. Civil war has a lot to do with it.

Unless racism has nothing to do with religion, why would anyone in US think there is only segregated churches in one mini location but diverse everywhere else?

I mean, one black guy sad to me when I him here I catholic church said: oh. you go to a white church. He said genuinely he thought Catholicism was full of white and hispanics. He also said why did I leave my roots (of the Baptist Church). Thats were our family from. Slavery and things like that.

UU isnt a black predominate church. How does racism depend on the area in the States when our whole history is made up of it?

True. I'm not too familiar with UU churches historically. As far as that old man referring to Baptist Christian roots, he must forget that Christianity as practiced in the 1600's was not the original faith of African slaves it was pressed upon African slaves and often used as a mitigating element to keep people aligned and content with the Africans. Baptist Christianity is nothing more than a "Yes Lawd" "old post Jim Crow black elderly" concert where music and African sensationalism are fused in one.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It's not so much a UU problem as a "tribal one".

People of non-white races are generally unfavorable to other religious beliefs as a rule, and something eclectic as UU is certainly not in their conception. For example, personally having a lot of African-American friends -- they either stay the same religion their entire lives, or some related denomination (out of convenience, not having a church after they moved, or something of that nature). Or, if they had no religion growing up they stay that way. Also, there's a good half of them do not have favorable views of religions that are not historically involved with their culture. So, you may a lot of black American Christians and Muslims, but no Jews, no pagans, etc. Many are so far removed that they don't even understand that these other belief systems exist -- conversely, most of my white friends would completely know of Wiccans, Satanists (the real ones, not the movies), Zen, or Hindu religions and know enough about Islam to have a conversation. Admittedly, that's pretty anecdotal, but generally the white people just know more about things besides their own interests.

With Asians, it's simply that they hate non-Asians secretly so much that it's almost culturally ninja'd in. They don't even know they're doing it. :D Sure, there are probably a couple of Asians who might break that mold, but if you found one their a damn unicorn. (Keep them close, they're special!) :D

So, this is why I think the UU is "mostly white", it's because only white folks practice all sorts of paths and don't judge people enough not to hang with them over it. :D

Yeah. I can definitely see that. I wouldn't let them off the hook :p But, yeah, anyways, yeah... cultural isolation is a huge factor. I don't know many "black" people here since a lot of people are militants or live in more "well-to-do" homes than us downtown. Kinda realize the cultural clash when jogging further out and seeing the class differences not specific to race but work. The're no buses in that area; so, it's by its own lonesome. I didn't know I walked four miles out of town until I realize the environment was different. It wasn't racial but just work class and ways of living.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Yeah. I can definitely see that. I wouldn't let them off the hook :p But, yeah, anyways, yeah... cultural isolation is a huge factor. I don't know many "black" people here since a lot of people are militants or live in more "well-to-do" homes than us downtown. Kinda realize the cultural clash when jogging further out and seeing the class differences not specific to race but work. The're no buses in that area; so, it's by its own lonesome. I didn't know I walked four miles out of town until I realize the environment was different. It wasn't racial but just work class and ways of living.

Well these days skin color is just a "whatever" for the most part, but the socio-economic status is your tribe. So, you're black and poor or white and poor you're still poor and dealing with similar problems. Not, that being rich hasn't got it's own fair share of problems as well. "black poor" or "white poor" are more like a sub-tribe than anything... They maybe have some different ways but live nearly the same, though probably in different places.