• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Utah Student Disrupts Government Auction of 150,000 Acres of Wilderness for Oil & Gas Drilling

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
I heard that a very good attorney took his case probono. So he shouldn't get any unreasonable sentences.

I didn't do too much research on this. I just kind of heard the story on tv from the same source Lil did. I was under the impression the the Bush Admin approved this not for the oil availability, but as a last attempt to get some extra money before getting bumped out of office.

Like my boyfriend said: having a president who's life and family revolves around the oil industry, is like having the Department of Children and Families led by a repeat pedophile.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I just kind of heard the story on tv from the same source Lil did. I was under the impression the the Bush Admin approved this not for the oil availability, but as a last attempt to get some extra money before getting bumped out of office.
Exactly. These lands are not expected to be rich in oil and thus would not have helped put gas in your car anyway. It's amazing that they're willing to risk irreparable harm to our nation's natonal parks for some quick cash.

Smoke

Done here.
Sure Obama can get the land back...all they have to do is fork over millions of taxpayer dollars to pay the buyers. I don't think that even Obama is foolhardy enough to do that.
Nonsense. The land has not been sold; they were bidding on leases, and the leases cannot be issued for 30 days after the auction (which is still two days before Obama takes office). Congress, already in session, could and should block the issuance of the leases, and even after the leases are issued could take action to void them. Not that I really expect that to happen, of course, but all we're talking about is refunding the price of leases, supposing anything has even been paid.

The "Dude" should have to spend some quality jail time for what he did.
At the very least. His abuse of the powers of his office over the last eight years has subverted the Constitution to an appalling degree. It wouldn't bother me if he were hanged for treason. (You are talking about Bush, right?)