• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Utah Catholic Bishop Clarifies Vatican Directive No To Release Parish Names

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
Would you allow Catholic baptism if it made your mother-in-law feel better, even though you would have your child properly baptized at age 8?
Oooh, good question. That really made me stop and think. I have to say no. But I can understand the other side.
OTOH I wouldn't recommend my grandchild be baptized at age eight, if he/she were being raised in another religion. It's because that baptism wouldn't mean anything if the grandchild would not likely understand or keep the covenants made.

Evelyn

Oooh, good question. That really made me stop and think. I have to say no. But I can understand the other side.
OTOH I wouldn't recommend my grandchild be baptized at age eight, if he/she were being raised in another religion. It's because that baptism wouldn't mean anything if the grandchild would not likely understand or keep the covenants made.
Just in case you weren't aware, we don't see baptism like LDS. We believe God can make things work inside of us without us giving it nod. I speak here of anybody that hasn't reached the age of reason.

This isn't really that odd if you take the OT into consideration. When do you think the Jews bring there family into covenants?........As infants!

Anyways, this isn't a debate forum so I'll leave it at that.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
Just in case you weren't aware, we don't see baptism like LDS. We believe God can make things work inside of us without us giving it nod. I speak here of anybody that hasn't reached the age of reason.

This isn't really that odd if you take the OT into consideration. When do you think the Jews bring there family into covenants?........As infants!

Anyways, this isn't a debate forum so I'll leave it at that.
Thanks.

idea

Question Everything
I woudl be ****** if my mother-in-law (she is RC) did that to my daughter when she is born.

not because i think it changes anything, but because of the deciet and mistrust. They know i'm LDS they know thier daughter is LDS, it should not matter to them at all.

You have to understand, just as you feel about them sprinkling us, some of them feel about us doing temple work for them... everyone is just doing the best that they know how - better to feel loved and appreciated - cared about than offended...

My parents are not LDS or RC... I come from a ...diverse family... there is enough contention, best to be a peacemaker. At times we are actually able to have a religios conversation - we are all very religious, it is actually kind of fun. I think I would prefer religious people - no matter what denom - over people who do not go to church and think nothing of God... People who are not religious, who are not interested in finding Meaning and Purpose in life... bore me.

zippythepinhead

Your Tax Dollars At Work
I thought it was an interesting question because I had never thought of that before. But I would have to go with Mormon's statement on the subject. Do not trifle with sacred things.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
You have to understand, just as you feel about them sprinkling us, some of them feel about us doing temple work for them... everyone is just doing the best that they know how - better to feel loved and appreciated - cared about than offended...

My parents are not LDS or RC... I come from a ...diverse family... there is enough contention, best to be a peacemaker. At times we are actually able to have a religios conversation - we are all very religious, it is actually kind of fun. I think I would prefer religious people - no matter what denom - over people who do not go to church and think nothing of God... People who are not religious, who are not interested in finding Meaning and Purpose in life... bore me.

now i understand your argument completely. but i don't see how it would apply to this subject in particular.

because baptisms for the dead is different. there is nothing in the bible calling it an evil abonination.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
The LDS Church only does proxy baptisms for those whose names are submitted by a decendant.
So it's according to the family's wishes, which should override the Vatican.

Scott1

So it's according to the family's wishes, which should override the Vatican.
... the family DOES come first.... and the Church WILL submit the information to family members.... THAT'S why I offered that this message by the Bishop seemed "odd" to say the least.

SoyLeche

meh...
... the family DOES come first.... and the Church WILL submit the information to family members.... THAT'S why I offered that this message by the Bishop seemed "odd" to say the least.
I agree. Basically, it says "Keep doing what you've been doing - but those Mormons sure are weird" (I'm taking a lot of licence with that paraphrase).

I'm trying to figure out the motive behind the letter. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt and believe that it was just a reminder, but it's still a bit strange.