• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US monitoring Russian military activities in the Arctic

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Pentagon monitoring Russia's military activity in Arctic - UPI.com

April 5 (UPI) -- The Pentagon said Monday that it's aware of Russian military activity in the Arctic and that it is committed to protecting U.S. interests in the region.

"Without getting into specific intelligence assessments, obviously we're monitoring it very closely," John F. Kirby, the Department of Defense press secretary, said during a press conference. "Obviously, no one wants to see the Arctic as a region become militarized."

Apparently, there is a build up of Russian military equipment in the area, as well as testing of a new Russian torpedo.

The statement came a day after CNN reported on satellite images by space technology company Maxar that document Russia's build-up of military equipment and the testing of weapons, including that of a Poseidon 2M39 torpedo, in the Arctic.

Kirby told reporters the Pentagon recognizes the area as "key terrain" vital to U.S. defense and as a corridor between the Indo-Pacific, Europe and the United States.

They are also refurbishing old Soviet-era airfields and radar installations, as well as constructing new ports and search-and-rescue centers.

"We're committed to protecting our U.S. national security interests in the Arctic by upholding a rules-based order in the region, particularly through our network of Arctic allies and partners who share the same deep mutual interests that we do, in exactly that order," he said, adding he will not go into specifics.

The United States is watching Russia's activity there, he said, and there are national security interests they will defend.

Lt. Col. Thomas Campbell, a Pentagon spokesman, told CNN that Russia is refurbishing Soviet-era airfields and radar installations in the Arctic as well as constructing new ports and search-and-rescue centers, building up its nuclear-powered icebreaker vessels and expanding its network of air and coastal defense missile systems.

"Thus, strengthening its anti-access and area-denial capabilities over key portions of the Arctic," he said.

I wonder if the Russians are anticipating a potential for a fight over the Arctic.

Some background info:

Arctic Council - Wikipedia
Arctic cooperation and politics - Wikipedia

Batya

Always Forward

Apparently, there is a build up of Russian military equipment in the area, as well as testing of a new Russian torpedo.

They are also refurbishing old Soviet-era airfields and radar installations, as well as constructing new ports and search-and-rescue centers.

I wonder if the Russians are anticipating a potential for a fight over the Arctic.

Some background info:

I've known about this for a while, it's not exactly new I wouldn't say. And the torpedo. Folks should look up some of the things Dr. Peter Pry has to say about all this stuff, he's brilliant and extremely knowledgeable. I completely wouldn't be surprised if the Russians are anticipating something.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I've known about this for a while, it's not exactly new I wouldn't say. And the torpedo. Folks should look up some of the things Dr. Peter Pry has to say about all this stuff, he's brilliant and extremely knowledgeable. I completely wouldn't be surprised if the Russians are anticipating something.

It appears to be an escalation in the quiet arms race that seems to be going on.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The Russians have also moved a lot of hardware toward the Ukraine which has stirred up concern.

Given Putin's and Xi's alliance we could be moving into the most dangerous time since the 1980s.

Brickjectivity

One
Staff member
Premium Member
I shall refrain from putting forward any conspiracy. Probably it is just what nations do. We help their military get funding, and their military helps ours get more funding. They scratch our back. We scratch theirs, and it all runs on caution mixed with logical thinking.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Some background info:

They're readying an expanded claim to territorial
rights. Oil, anyone?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I shall refrain from putting forward any conspiracy. Probably it is just what nations do. We help their military get funding, and their military helps ours get more funding. They scratch our back. We scratch theirs, and it all runs on caution mixed with logical thinking.

In a way, I hope it's just that - even if I still don't like it. It would be better than actually going to war. So, I hope this isn't "real." Otherwise @sun rise may be correct in that it could be getting more dangerous in this world.

Batya

Always Forward
It appears to be an escalation in the quiet arms race that seems to be going on.
Yes, though I am of the opinion that our relationship with Russia hasn't ever really improved much since the "end" of the cold war, and this is just an extension of that, and yes escalation. I think there is a very legitimate concern here, and honestly I feel our government is and has turned too much of a blind eye to it all, putting us at a disadvantage by their approach.

Brickjectivity

One
Staff member
Premium Member
In a way, I hope it's just that - even if I still don't like it. It would be better than actually going to war. So, I hope this isn't "real." Otherwise @sun rise may be correct in that it could be getting more dangerous in this world.
Russia isn't genocidal, so a loss to Russia wouldn't be completely immoral. It would be disappointing, sad, and there would be loss of life. It wouldn't be the end of hope.

Batya

Always Forward
Looking at it this way is just our problem, conveniently finding a false sense of security by assuming things are fine while ignoring the facts.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, though I am of the opinion that our relationship with Russia hasn't ever really improved much since the "end" of the cold war, and this is just an extension of that, and yes escalation. I think there is a very legitimate concern here, and honestly I feel our government is and has turned too much of a blind eye to it all, putting us at a disadvantage by their approach.

I don't think our government is blind to it. Clearly, they are always keeping their eyes and ears open for just about anything that could happen. I think their problem now is that they don't really know what to do or how to handle it. They still seem to be thinking in Cold War terms. I think that they would do well to come up with a new strategy, one that's more realistic than the old style "containment" or the stale refrain of "making the world safe for democracy."

For one thing, I don't think they really understand our adversaries well enough. There's the old notion that you should "know your enemy," but I'm not sure if we really know them well enough.

Brickjectivity

One
Staff member
Premium Member
Looking at it this way is just our problem, conveniently finding a false sense of security by assuming things are fine while ignoring the facts.
It takes effort to look at it this way, and I'm not saying you're wrong. What I'm saying is its only half of the truth.

Have you heard of the Cuban Missile Crisis? President Kennedy nearly started a nuclear war with the USSR. His generals pressed him to launch a nuclear strike, and it seems logical at the time. Logic and sound reason would have destroyed us, so there is something to be said for being the first to lower the gun.

There is a Proverb about it, which I think you'll like: [Pro 17:19 NIV] 19 Whoever loves a quarrel loves sin; whoever builds a high gate invites destruction.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Plus with it all in the open screams attention. Clearly the Russians know they are watched as much as they watch us.

Brickjectivity

One
Staff member
Premium Member
Plus with it all in the open screams attention. Clearly the Russians know they are watched as much as they watch us.
"Hey bud. Our budget is a little bit low. Could you do some operations in the Arctic circle, please? Maybe wave your guns around a bit? Thanks!"

Brickjectivity

One
Staff member
Premium Member
Russia likes testing our response.
Everybody does. We have China in the area of Taiwan and Japan doing the same thing. We have some other less dangerous countries doing the same thing. We do it, too. Our planes have been harassing those two countries for decades. They also do it to one another probably. I'm also aware China and India have some tension at their borders. Generally this is what happens at borders of some nations.