• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US and UK carry out airstrikes against Iran-backed Houthis in Yemen

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
They tested us and we responded. Hopefully Iran pays attention to this and does not cause similar strikes on them. I don't think tkey're stupid enough to directly attack but given what is going on I would not "bet the farm" on that.

The US and UK militaries launched strikes against multiple Houthi targets in Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen on Thursday, a US official and UK official told CNN.

The strikes were from fighter jets and Tomahawk missiles. More than a dozen Houthi targets were hit by missiles fired from air, surface, and sub platforms and were chosen for their ability to degrade the Houthis’ continued attacks on vessels in the Red Sea, a second US official told CNN.

They included radar systems, drone storage and launch sites, ballistic missile storage and launch sites, and cruise missile storage and launch sites.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Here we go.

“The response to any American attack will not only be at the level of the operation that was recently carried out with more than 24 drones and several missiles,” said Abdel Malek al-Houthi, the group’s supreme leader, during an hour-long speech. “It will be greater than that.”

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Background Houthi movement - Wikipedia

The Houthi movement attracts followers in Yemen by portraying themselves as fighting for economic development; the end of political marginalization of Zaidi Shias;[81] and promoting regional political–religious issues in its media. The Houthis have a complex relationship with Yemen's Sunnis; the movement has discriminated against Sunnis but has also allied with and recruited them.[87][88][80] The Houthis aim to govern all of Yemen and support external movements against the United States, Israel, and Saudi Arabia.[89] Because of the Houthis' ideological background, the conflict in Yemen is widely seen as a front of the Iran–Saudi Arabia proxy war.[90]

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
They tested us and we responded. Hopefully Iran pays attention to this and does not cause similar strikes on them. I don't think tkey're stupid enough to directly attack but given what is going on I would not "bet the farm" on that.

The US and UK militaries launched strikes against multiple Houthi targets in Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen on Thursday, a US official and UK official told CNN.

The strikes were from fighter jets and Tomahawk missiles. More than a dozen Houthi targets were hit by missiles fired from air, surface, and sub platforms and were chosen for their ability to degrade the Houthis’ continued attacks on vessels in the Red Sea, a second US official told CNN.

They included radar systems, drone storage and launch sites, ballistic missile storage and launch sites, and cruise missile storage and launch sites.
It's good to know that some people realize that there is only one language terrorist and rouge countries will understand.

Never give these people a chance to get ahead of the game , and doing it now will save a lot of lives in the long term.

It's good to see the response was quick and decisive in putting hopefully, an end to these attacks.

Twilight Hue

Here we go.

“The response to any American attack will not only be at the level of the operation that was recently carried out with more than 24 drones and several missiles,” said Abdel Malek al-Houthi, the group’s supreme leader, during an hour-long speech. “It will be greater than that.”
I see a drone in Abdel's future.

Bthoth

*banned*
same trap.... defending israelis war crimes and the surrounding countries want to shoot at us.

Some day, us western countries will learn why they hate us so bad.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It's good to know that some people realize that there is only one language terrorist and rouge countries will understand.

Never give these people a chance to get ahead of the game , and doing it now will save a lot of lives in the long term.

It's good to see the response was quick and decisive in putting hopefully, an end to these attacks.
I don't think this will do the job. We'll need to whack them harder next time and harder than that the time after until all their missiles and boat are gone and their drone manufacturing plants big holes in the ground. Sow the wind as they've done and now we need to be the whirlwind.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I was sort of expecting it, considering the West's stance on securing that important trade route where merchant ships have been attacked by pirates.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't think this will do the job. We'll need to whack them harder next time and harder than that the time after until all their missiles and boat are gone and their drone manufacturing plants big holes in the ground. Sow the wind as they've done and now we need to be the whirlwind.
Spoken like a true Christian, ie, the way to end
war is to increase the war....obliterate the enemy.
Yeah...that's been working real well so far.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Protesters at Times Square chanted slogans such as "hands off the Middle East," "hands off Yemen," and "hands off Gaza."

The demonstrators near the White House waved Palestinian flags and carried banners that read "Free Palestine" and "stop bombing Yemen."

The strikes in Yemen represent one of the most dramatic demonstrations to date of the widening of the war in Gaza since it erupted in October, although the U.S. and its allies said in a joint statement there was no intent to escalate tensions.

There's a brief clip in this Al Jazeera report containing the response from the Houthi leader.

It does seem rather ominous, as they're not accepting the U.S. explanation and justification for the bombing.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Spoken like a true Christian, ie, the way to end
war is to increase the war....obliterate the enemy.
Yeah...that's been working real well so far.

Well, obliterating the enemy did work back in WW2. It's an effective tactic, as long as one is willing to take off the gloves and go all out to defeat the enemy.

Since that time, the government has tried to operate under the pretense of running a "clean war," where everything is done by the book, according to international convention and the rules of war - as if we're some kind of Dudley Do-Right. Trouble is, it doesn't really seem to work to win wars.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Some relevant background here: The Saudi-led and US-backed coalition that has carried out military strikes in Yemen for years has killed over 20,000 Yemeni civilians and precipitated a nationwide famine and humanitarian crisis. At least 377,000 Yemenis have died as a result of the war and humanitarian crisis.

I don't know what cause there is to cheer for in these latest strikes by the US and the UK. Are we supposed to expect different results from the same tactics that have failed for years? Houthis will probably not go away unless the main cause that has given them this much power to begin with is addressed—that is, the military campaign led by Saudi Arabia and armed by the US and the UK that has killed far more civilians than Houthis have in their entire existence, as well as the effects of said campaign (e.g., the resultant famine). The Houthis' attacks on shipping need to be dealt with, but it seems to me that history shows that military action alone will not achieve long-term and lasting peace.

By sheer amount of death, suffering, and destruction caused to civilians, there's a solid case to be made that the Saudi, American, and British armies are bigger and more dangerous terrorist organizations than the Houthis.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
By sheer amount of death, suffering, and destruction caused to civilians, there's a solid case to be made that the Saudi, American, and British armies are bigger and more dangerous terrorist organizations than the Houthis.

I agree. The US and UK have acted, for the most part, as if they're the rulers of the world - just like the Romans once thought that they ruled the world. The trouble is, many Americans have somehow deluded themselves into thinking that we're above all that. They believe that we're enlightened, liberal, and true believers in freedom and democracy around the world.

Others who may not be so naive might still see the West as the "lesser of two evils," acknowledging the evil, but also carrying the belief that in areas of the world where there is an absence of Western hegemony, even worse evils start to spring up. I've never really believed that to be true, but it's often been used as prevailing argument.

I haven't checked to see how much military operations like this cost nowadays, but I wonder what would happen if they took the same amount of money and gave it to these people to build housing, schools, healthcare facilities, roads, infrastructure, shops, and all the other necessities of a good life in today's modern world? Many in the West argue they can't do that because the bad guys will just take the money and use it to buy weapons and feed their armies, while leaving nothing left for the people.

But they have to do something other than just bomb people and think that this "sends a message." It sends a message alright, but it rarely gets received in the way Western policymakers seem to hope.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'm tired of how often the US gets blamed for everything including in this case what Saudi Arabia has done in Yemen and is thought of as the worse evil. We're not perfect but when a terrorist group attacks neutrals, when a Muslim group calls for a genocide and tries to make it happen, I say "God bless the United States of America"

America, America
God shed His grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea
From sea to shining sea
O beautiful for vision clear
That sees beyond the years
Thy night time sky
Our hopes that fly
Undimmed by human tears
America, America
God shed His grace on thee
'Til selfish gain no longer stain
The banner of the free
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, obliterating the enemy did work back in WW2. It's an effective tactic, as long as one is willing to take off the gloves and go all out to defeat the enemy.
WW3 does appear to be an acceptable
outcome for Israel & USA.
Since that time, the government has tried to operate under the pretense of running a "clean war,".....
Which government is doing that?

Twilight Hue

I agree. The US and UK have acted, for the most part, as if they're the rulers of the world - just like the Romans once thought that they ruled the world. The trouble is, many Americans have somehow deluded themselves into thinking that we're above all that. They believe that we're enlightened, liberal, and true believers in freedom and democracy around the world.

Others who may not be so naive might still see the West as the "lesser of two evils," acknowledging the evil, but also carrying the belief that in areas of the world where there is an absence of Western hegemony, even worse evils start to spring up. I've never really believed that to be true, but it's often been used as prevailing argument.

I haven't checked to see how much military operations like this cost nowadays, but I wonder what would happen if they took the same amount of money and gave it to these people to build housing, schools, healthcare facilities, roads, infrastructure, shops, and all the other necessities of a good life in today's modern world? Many in the West argue they can't do that because the bad guys will just take the money and use it to buy weapons and feed their armies, while leaving nothing left for the people.

But they have to do something other than just bomb people and think that this "sends a message." It sends a message alright, but it rarely gets received in the way Western policymakers seem to hope.
The US and UK are not the ones who started this.