• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Urban wildlife

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
What is the most common form of so-called urban wildlife in your city?

In Sarajevo, it's without a doubt birds. There are several different varieties that make their homes in the city but none are more famous, or more cherished, than pigeons. In fact, the main square in the oldest part of Sarajevo - Bascarsija - is even named for them.

Trg Golub (Pigeon Square) - Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
f_Sarajevobysm_004d3db.jpg

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Manchester here in New Hampshire is the only American city south of Alaska to have a perminant population of Bald Eagles. (in 2006 there were 13 spending the winter and one nesting pair. 2005 had 23 over winter)

We have hosts of Raccoons, Skunks, Squirrels, Fox, Opossum and I hear the New York just got thier first Beaver in over 200 years. :jiggy:
For birds, Gulls are everywhere as are Crows and the odd Ravens, Perigrine Falcons, Red Tail Hawks and Vultures seem to manage.
There is even a population of escapped parrots living in several US cities. (NY and San Francisco for instance)

I'm always facinated by how animals adapt to live even the most urban of settings.
They are remarkable critters. :D

wa:do

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
painted wolf said:
New York just got thier first Beaver in over 200 years.

Cool . :)

I have likely told this story before , but what the hey ? A year or so back , I was walking throught a park in Seattle when we came upon a fell tree . My friend got all excited and " people " doing such a thing in a park . I smiled and said that Beaver tend to do that ... :) She didn't believe me , untill I showed her the tooth marks in the wood . ( of course they traped the Beaver { live trap } and moved it )

I'm always amazed that humans have adapted to live in cities .... ;)

kateyes

To narrow it down a bit--in my immediate area--there are deer, rabbits, raccoons, possums, now and again a ground hog, plus squirrels and chipmunks. There is a blue heron that likes to eat out of our fish trap (so do the raccoons)--a multitude of birds like doves, cardinals, blue jays, finches, house wrens, lake gulls, ducks, geese and we don't leave our dogs out at night because there are coyotes. Most of these animals and birds will scavange, the raccoons in particular seem to like dry dog food--so we had to start storing it inside the house instead of in a bin outside. The deer like alot of flowers and will eat them down to nubs, and will also take apples off the apple tree. The raccoons pick and taste the pears but never take more than a bite or 2. The area where I live used to be rural--but over the last 10 years the farmers have sold to developers and we are slowly being surrounded by small sub-divisions. It leaves the animals very little open space--and makes them more dependent on scavenging, some become quite partial to what they can get from garbage cans. We started putting out corn and let them have the fish in the trap, and the fruit from the trees--thinking it will encourage them to stay closer to our immediate area and away from roads and city folk's garbage.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
oh I almost forgot, Coyote are moving into cities and suburbs now. :D

I've eaven heard of City living Penguins near Cape Town in South Africa.

Ozzie

I reckon just about any omnivorous small mammal or bird would adapt quite readily to a diet of our garbage, if only our cats and dogs wouldn't kill them...