• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unruly comparison?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
He personally created and implemented a system of mass murder. He told people to pull the trigger. That he had others do his evil deeds for him means less than zero.
"Personally"?
I don't think so. He exploited the predilections of the Germans at the time. Rather like other charismatic authoritarians.
Believing that Hitler personally created the situations and systems and ideology is to misunderstand what lead to the gigantic fiasco.
Tom

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
"Personally"?
I don't think so. He exploited the predilections of the Germans at the time. Rather like other charismatic authoritarians.
Believing that Hitler personally created the situations and systems and ideology is to misunderstand what lead to the gigantic fiasco.
Tom
We disagree.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
"Personally"?
Tom

History is wrong?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
That depends on what you mean by 'category'. Category of amount of evil? No. Category in competence? No. Category of what might be called, since I'm in a mood, the "dark side"? Yes

Well, Trump is a sociopath with dictatorial impulses. Trump is a bigot, no doubt, but not a genocidal bigot.

Instead I'd compare him to Mussolini in lack of competence etc.

I'd assume one bigot is better than another, though I never used that word on anyone before so just copying what you said.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
The one thing that they both seem to share is their failure to take the advice of others, often those with more expertise than themselves, and perhaps why Hitler came to his sticky end, although the USA entering the war was probably his death-knell and something he had no answer for. Plus of course the Soviet Union, and Hitler's underestimation of this country.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I was just asking about the individuals themselves and how people perceive both of the two because of their actions and what they say in relationship with each other.

Yes, although the question also involves the countries and the context in which they were elected.

No I would not, except when I am making a hyperbolic comparison of the failure of our two party system. I am no great fan of Trump, but what mass genocide has he committed (yes I know he has continued the same wars of Bush and Obama are they also Hitler)? What groups has he singled out for extermination? In fact when people call him racist what has he done explicitly racist? Sexist yes,he makes a lot of sexist comments.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Nope. To be honest, it's insulting to Hitler to compare Trump to him. Hitler may have been a monster but he was cultured and wasn't a crude, moronic, perverted buffoon. Hitler was also a great orator and served in the military whereas Trump is a draft dodging coward whose vocabulary is on an elementary school level. Trump is just a clown and a crook. It's like comparing Hannibal Lector to a petty thief.

This post dangerously borders on sympathy for Hitler. I despise Trump as much as the next guy, but I find it quite problematic to indirectly downplay Nazi atrocities to make a hyperbolic point about Trump.

They're not even in the same league as far as real-world actions go. One actually carried out a genocide against millions, killed disabled children, and committed a myriad of other crimes that we all know about. The other hasn't even come close to matching that regardless of how contemptible he is.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
That demonstrates a near incomprehensible insensitivity that is grossly ignorant at best.

The Trump era has taught me to never underestimate the depths to which emotionally driven, irrational hyperbole can sink. It appears some people have been too quick to forget just how stark Hitler's crimes were if they are already saying he is "comparable" to Trump.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I was not trying to show Hitler in a favorable light. I didn't describe him any differently than how a historian world. I even said he was a monster, and compared him to Hannibal Lector. Does that mean I'm a Lector sympathizer? My entire point was to show that Trump is a juvenile clown and crook, whereas Hitler was civilized, intellectual evil. You could say the same about many brutal dictators.

Now I'd appreciate it if people would stop trying to lecture me, berate me or accuse me of Nazi sympathy simply because they misread my post.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The Trump era has taught me to never underestimate the depths to which emotionally driven, irrational hyperbole can sink. It appears some people have been too quick to forget just how stark Hitler's crimes were if they are already saying he is "comparable" to Trump.

Comparisons are often dangerous and always challenging.

If we are simply comparing the capacity for depravity, I see no reason to believe that Trump is any less an egomaniacal sociopath than is Hitler, but that in no way suggests that the effects of Trump are, or even could be, comparable to those of the Third Reich. I'm not even sure that Hitler would be capable of effecting a holocaust if he were operating in the 21st century.

One thing is certain, naziism is not an Austro-Germanic trait. It is a human disease and no people are immune.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I was not trying to show Hitler in a favorable light. I didn't describe him any differently than how a historian world. I even said he was a monster, and compared him to Hannibal Lector. Does that mean I'm a Lector sympathizer? My entire point was to show that Trump is a juvenile clown and crook, whereas Hitler was civilized, intellectual evil. You could say the same about many brutal dictators.

Now I'd appreciate it if people would stop trying to lecture me, berate me or accuse me of Nazi sympathy simply because they misread my post.

Nobody misread your post; it was simply worded horrendously inappropriately. Nobody who is fluent in English can fault someone for reading it as showing Hitler in at least a partially favorable light.

And your still calling Hitler "civilized" above does your case zero favors.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Nobody misread your post; it was simply worded horrendously inappropriately. Nobody who is fluent in English can fault someone for reading it as showing Hitler in at least a partially favorable light.

And your still calling Hitler "civilized" above does your case zero favors.
Whatever. I'm done with this thread.

There are personality traits Hitler possessed that can be positive when applied in the right light, such as he was a great orator (something Trump is not). But a sociopath who is a great orator is still a sociopath.