• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unquestioned Faith is Meaningless

Does questioning faith help one's understanding?

• Yes

Votes: 16 94.1%
  • No

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Questioning and challenging your faith is a healthy part of being human. If we were to just blindly follow values with what we are raised (rather than be a teenager, and question authority :p) how do we learn about life more than what our parents may have taught us?

I find not challenging or questioning one's faith as unhealthy; because, if you do not know the different perspectives of the faith how can you successfully talk about it with those who differ? Intellectually, it is best to question because you understand (as you say) and mature in your faith more than you would have if you had not questioned and studied it.

I think the key is, some people don't like going out of their comfort zone. When they only know one truth, how can you make them see other views or "truths" when the proof is right in front of them (the diversity of people who believe different things). If truth is universal, we would all be innate to follow it or know it to deny it. Since it is not, you have no reason to keep yourself in a box.

For me personally, I learned a lot about questioning the Catholic faith (not because of the arguments against it). I found where my heart was and decided to follow that direction rather than what I wanted--which was community and support.

Questioning deepens your relationship with your God. I see it as having an inquisitive conversation with God over chess. You're not there to beat each other; but learn each other's moves (even if God knows what you're planing in the next move. ;))

"Faith" = strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

I get a lot of pushback from Christians on this site saying that I am not a real Christian because I constantly question the tenants, assumptions, and doctrine at the heart of their theology. In my opinion, nothing could be further from the truth. If you just blindly believe that the Bible is accurate, that the Church has good intentions, or even that God exists, you don't grow your understanding. I am constantly trying to learn new things and understand my own beliefs, and I never take the opinions of others as fact. I think that this endeavor has brought me closer to God, as I care a great deal about the truth, whether it matches with my current beliefs or not. My mind is open to any possibility, and I feel that those who do not actively challenge their beliefs are missing out on a great deal of understanding.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I think in current times in the modern western world almost nobody in the younger generations has unquestioned faith.

I think in earlier times when education and access to information was quite limited people looked to their priest, rabbi, mullah, pastor or whatever as THE source for their understanding. Today everyone is empowered to think for themselves and I rarely see anyone following unquestioned faith.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I must have misunderstood the question. I'm the one dissenter, and this was my reasoning.

Once you've spent many hours, years, even lifetimes, living a certain faith, to the point where all questions about it, coming from outside of you, or from the inside of you, and all doubts have been erased, then life takes on a totally new meaning. You can then flow with the river, no impediments. So there is no sense of questioning it at all, that just doesn't happen. If some question does arrive, you can just laugh it off as part of the Dance, and continue along your merry way.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I once brought up to one of my Bible study groups about questioning one's faith and they said it was a normal thing to do. These Christians are very strong in their faith. I asked them the question because I had experienced from very strong questioning of my faith and shared it with them.
I am convinced that the questioning of one's faith is not only normal but necessary.

"Faith" = strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

I get a lot of pushback from Christians on this site saying that I am not a real Christian because I constantly question the tenants, assumptions, and doctrine at the heart of their theology. In my opinion, nothing could be further from the truth. If you just blindly believe that the Bible is accurate, that the Church has good intentions, or even that God exists, you don't grow your understanding. I am constantly trying to learn new things and understand my own beliefs, and I never take the opinions of others as fact. I think that this endeavor has brought me closer to God, as I care a great deal about the truth, whether it matches with my current beliefs or not. My mind is open to any possibility, and I feel that those who do not actively challenge their beliefs are missing out on a great deal of understanding.

"Faith is to hope for things which are not seen, but which are true (Hebrews 11:1), and must be centered in Jesus Christ in order to produce salvation. To have faith is to have confidence in something or someone. The Lord has revealed Himself and His perfect character, possessing in their fulness all the attributes of love, knowledge, justice, mercy, unchangeableness, power, and every other needful thing, so as to enable the mind of man to place confidence in Him without reservation. Faith is kindled by hearing the testimony of those who have faith (Rom 10:14-17). Miracles do not produce faith, but strong faith is developed by obedience to the gospel of Jesus Christ; in other words, faith comes by righteousness, although miracles often confirm one’s faith...all true faith must be based upon correct knowledge or it cannot produce the desired results. Faith in Jesus Christ is the first principle of the gospel and is more than belief, since true faith always moves its possessor to some kind of physical and mental action; it carries an assurance of the fulfillment of the things hoped for."

This is an excerpt from the Mormon Bible Dictionary on the subject of faith. It very closely aligns with my understanding of what faith is and how it works.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
"Faith is to hope for things which are not seen, but which are true (Hebrews 11:1), and must be centered in Jesus Christ in order to produce salvation. To have faith is to have confidence in something or someone. The Lord has revealed Himself and His perfect character, possessing in their fulness all the attributes of love, knowledge, justice, mercy, unchangeableness, power, and every other needful thing, so as to enable the mind of man to place confidence in Him without reservation. Faith is kindled by hearing the testimony of those who have faith (Rom 10:14-17). Miracles do not produce faith, but strong faith is developed by obedience to the gospel of Jesus Christ; in other words, faith comes by righteousness, although miracles often confirm one’s faith...all true faith must be based upon correct knowledge or it cannot produce the desired results. Faith in Jesus Christ is the first principle of the gospel and is more than belief, since true faith always moves its possessor to some kind of physical and mental action; it carries an assurance of the fulfillment of the things hoped for."

This is an excerpt from the Mormon Bible Dictionary on the subject of faith. It very closely aligns with my understanding of what faith is and how it works.
Thanks for the clarification. I was about to pounce on you for using someone else's argument/explanation, but your clarification was great. Thanks for contributing.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

you have to acknowledge your faith first to question it, that's one strength of faith. Not acknowledging faith in one's belief- be it atheism, evolution or otherwise is blind acceptance