• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I never said I had anything against rebellion, just to put that here.

Yes, but there's intellectual rebellion and then there is bratty teenage rebellion. The second one includes those things such as drinking to excess, shooting heroin and so on. This is pretty anti-intellectual and very damaging.

The group I'm complaining about aren't writing the next Fanny Hill.

You assume that they never overlap?
You are aware that many highly respected authors and artists are/were dependent on substances, right? Hell they recently found some evidence that even "The Bard" might have partook in some weed on occasion!

http://drugabuse.com/20-genius-minds-and-the-drugs-they-were-addicted-to/ (Incidentally I find this particular article a bit ****ty. But it's been a long day.)

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
So you gravitate toward English-based subjects? In that case, don't bother--go to college and learn a practical skill instead.

Unless you go for something academic, university is a waste of your time and money..

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
So you gravitate toward English-based subjects? In that case, don't bother--go to college and learn a practical skill instead.

Unless you go for something academic, university is a waste of your time and money..

Lol I think you missed the point.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
You assume that they never overlap?
You are aware that many highly respected authors and artists are/were dependent on substances, right? Hell they recently found some evidence that even "The Bard" might have partook in some weed on occasion!

http://drugabuse.com/20-genius-minds-and-the-drugs-they-were-addicted-to/
I knew you were going to pull this.

That still doesn't make it right.

Why are you defending drink and drugs?

They lie out in their own vomit on the streets of England. They wake up next to someone whose name they don't know. They get their stomachs pumped. They do incredibly dangerous things because they think they're invincible.

I'm not sure I know one author who woke up in his own vomit next to a woman whose name he didn't know.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I knew you were going to pull this.

That still doesn't make it right.

Why are you defending drink and drugs?

They lie out in their own vomit on the streets of England. They wake up next to someone whose name they don't know. They get their stomachs pumped. They do incredibly dangerous things because they think they're invincible.

I'm not sure I know one author who woke up in his own vomit next to a woman whose name he didn't know.

Why do you assume I'm defending it? Pointing out the fact that many brilliant minds succumb to drugs or alcohol isn't an endorsement! It's just pointing out a fact. Humans have been finding ways to get high for as long as we've been on earth. To assume it's limited to stupidity or teenagers simply isn't true.

(As to the last statement, I'd wager Charles Dickens, Hunter S Thomson and/or F Scott Fitzgerald have done that many times. Among many others.)

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Why do you assume I'm defending it? Pointing out the fact that many brilliant minds succumb to drugs or alcohol isn't an endorsement!

(As to the last statement, I'd wager Charles Dickens, Hunter S Thomson and/or F Scott Fitzgerald have done that many times. Among many others.)

Also off that list, I don't consider Cobain, Crowley or Monroe particularly great. And House is fictional lol. King had a terrible accident and is constantly in pain with his back; I wouldn't blame him. S. Taylor had problems too.

Thanks for your advice though.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Also off that list, I don't consider Cobain, Crowley or Monroe particularly great. And House is fictional lol. King had a terrible accident and is constantly in pain with his back; I wouldn't blame him. S. Taylor had problems too.

Thanks for your advice though.

Apart from being a Nirvana fan I agree with you. I think House was just put there as a bit of a joke. I don't blame anyone on that list, to be honest.

Kirran

Premium Member
Please, Rival, to assume that anything like the majority of University students will at any time wake up in a pool of their own vomit, wake up next to someone they don't remember or get their stomachs pumped due to excessive alcohol drinking is erroneous. A pretty hefty minority of students don't even drink, and another pretty hefty minority will only do so very rarely, and will never or almost never get drunk. Of those who do like to go out and party etc, they don't all do it to such excess although of course there are issues and it is a big part of the social lives of a sizable proportion of students. Nothing like as universal or as severe as you seem to perceive it to be though.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I miss those days, having all those people around me. Having adults around at my house, talking with me about how I was and what had happened and did you have a good day at school? Did you learn anything new? Me and Jess C put some stuff in a test tube and it frothed all up over the top! I miss being around the people who cared about my welfare and brought me treats and sweets and pictures and memories and love. I didn't want it to end. My mom never cared about me like that and she said all those people just were in the way and it's been three years now I just wish this would stop and I'm stood at the bottom of the stairs thinking age 13 I hope it doesn't. She thinks it's over and I know it isn't.

I liked the way they seemed to know what I was thinking and how I felt and how damaged I was and how much I needed them, even if I didn't know it at the time and my mom told me I didn't and no-one told me my mom had bpd at that point because no-one knew apart from the relatives she never allowed me to see. And all the lies she'd told and all the things she'd brainwashed me to believe and here were people who actually loved me and showed me and helped me and supported me and tried to get me a therapist but mom wouldn't allow them because she thought there was nothing wrong with me a sexually abused child needs help mom she does and no amount of What happened to me was way worse than what happened to You negates that all abused kids need help and love but not your kind of love.

I miss those social workers, those police officers, those psychologists, my solicitor, the barrister, the little interview room when I was 11 and being taken out of school in a police car and feeling suddenly way more mature than any 11 year old ever did. 2 hours in a little interview room with a social worker who actually seemed to care for me.
I miss those people telling me here's how it's done here's what we will do don't worry everything will be fine we care about you we're here to help you you can ask us anything you want we love you in a way even though you're not our kid and we've seen hundreds before you. I miss them. I wish they would take care of me again. I didn't have anything to rebel against in my teenage years because I was already different and bpd mom rules are Do What I Tell You Ask No Questions And I'll Tell You No Lies. She cries when the dog is put down but can happily kick me out and burn all my clothes then tell me that she loves me no mom you don't love me. Those people who you said were just using us and more importantly me because I was the focus they loved me they loved me and they did their best to make sure I did my best at court and that I grew up in to a normal healthy adult but they failed because of you twisting my mind to believe things that weren't true. How dare you how dare you how dare you are not my mom I am not your daughter I belong to them.

And now I'm 20 but I still have that 12 year old need for love that you never gave that mollycoddling mommy love that mother daughter talk about boys those shopping sprees those petty arguments those cinema trips and all the things we never did together mom. All those things. I miss being taken care of and babied by those who actually gave a damn about me and helped me. Maybe one day maybe one day it will happen again.

Kirran

Premium Member
As a silver lining kind of person, I'd say it is still great that you had those people who were there for you in the midst of your mother being ... well, we can't use expletives on RF. A tragedy, obviously, that you had to put up with so much of that crap, on top of what you had already been through, but twisted up as you feel you've turned out because of it, you're still pretty damn functional from an external perspective. Which is quite something in itself. And time really does heal, although it doesn't always feel like it.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Bah. This is just a journal thread lol, I just started it out talking about Uni. I'm not sticking to that boring subject. I don't want to be an independent person. I hate the idea of not living with a rulegiver. Seriously. I'm a writer at heart. I'd like to be a teacher because I love the college and school environment.

Jumi

What qualifications would you need to be a teacher in your country? In my country you need masters degree if you want to teach children.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
What qualifications would you need to be a teacher in your country? In my country you need masters degree if you want to teach children.
Teaching qualifications. It differs as to which kind of teaching etc. You need to go to Uni to get those certificates.

Jumi

Teaching qualifications. It differs as to which kind of teaching etc. You need to go to Uni to get those certificates.
I considered becoming a teacher when I was in my 20s and many of my friends then studied pedagogy in uni. I also worked as an assistant teacher for one course and it was quite fun. I was a bit shy back then but grew with the experience.

IMO the ones studying to become teachers are on average more mature and much less into heavy partying and so on.

Laika

Premium Member
And now I'm 20 but I still have that 12 year old need for love that you never gave that mollycoddling mommy love that mother daughter talk about boys those shopping sprees those petty arguments those cinema trips and all the things we never did together mom. All those things. I miss being taken care of and babied by those who actually gave a damn about me and helped me. Maybe one day maybe one day it will happen again.

I'd wish I had asked about your mum more when I visited, but I was honestly taken aback by meeting someone I'd only known online for the first time. I think the conversation was drifting towards both our parent troubles when we arrived back at the Train station for my journey back. words fail me. if I can be of any help or just need someone to talk to, just ask.

*hug*

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you repeat 'til the page is full :cry:

Confound me! I'm such a poet and I feel too much.

Never-mind, ignore me, I'm just a youth. I don't know anything. Need to meet more people.