• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University poll finds most Americans fear the “Deep State”

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
I don't exactly feel assurance when the majority of Americans think a thing these days. Ad pop is a definite fallacy. One that is actually arguable as one. It's not like more vague fallacies one might argue can be shown fallacious or not. It clearly is one.

Can the majority hold a wrong opinion?

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
And nothing. But it remains for you to reconcile with the majority since the majority rules in our form of government.
You're right. Because the majority thinks that there is a deep state, it must be true. Bow down to our Illuminati overlords!

Shaul

Premium Member
You're right. Because the majority thinks that there is a deep state, it must be true. Bow down to our Illuminati overlords!
Or... since you still think the majority is wrong you should work until they see the truth that, apparently, only people as awesome as you can see. So the majority needs to “bow down you our Illuminati overload”. Or not.

Shaul

Premium Member
Tons worse. RW propaganda has brainwashed everyone about Soros. But feel free to point out anything you disagree with concerning Soros.
Yes, cause the left wing boogie man Koch brothers are waaaay worse than George Soros who made billions trading on currency of countries whose economies he wrecked through manipulation.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Did you did you hear someone say that? Because I’ve heard that the best indicator of authority is whether you have heard of something.
And again.

Go and read what I said again, oy this time try doing so without the persecution fantasy that everyone is attacking you.

Shaul

Premium Member
And again.

Go and read what I said again, oy this time try doing so without the persecution fantasy that everyone is attacking you.
Ok, so when you posted, “Never heard of Monmouth University before” That has no bearing whatsoever on whether this poll was right nor wrong. Glad we agree on that.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I still fail to understand why people are so worried about the state doing it when corporations like Facebook and Google, Target and Amazon, are far worse when it comes to collecting, mining, and selling your data and information. Apparently, it's not ok if the state does it, but it's ok for a company to do it to make money.:confused:

idav

Being
Premium Member
I still fail to understand why people are so worried about the state doing it when corporations like Facebook and Google, Target and Amazon, are far worse when it comes to collecting, mining, and selling your data and information. Apparently, it's not ok if the state does it, but it's ok for a company to do it to make money.:confused:
Its not ok for any entity to be collecting and mining personal information. Those companies don't sell personal information they sell whats called metadata but nevertheless the selling to advertisers is still highly controversial as is the Patriot Act.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I suppose it would largely depend on where the authorization to collect data comes from. People agree to terms of service and are presumably made aware of a company's privacy policies when they sign up for a service, which is always optional. One can use a Tor browser and other search sites like Duck Duck Go to avoid Google.

If the State does it, then (unless I'm mistaken) the Constitution requires that they have probable cause and a warrant to search somebody. But then again, Hoover's FBI conducted surveillance on people, put in bugs/wiretaps - not because they wanted hard evidence to be used in court, but just to gain information, political attitudes, rumors, innuendo, etc. The NSA tapped into phone lines as well. During the Cold War, such surveillance activities were justified for reasons of national security.

That's why Watergate was so egregious, since they were using all that State apparatus for political gain. The fear of the "deep state" may be related to the ever-present possibility that others could unscrupulously use that apparatus for political gain. I don't think America's Founders really envisioned the depth and scope of many of the responsibilities and tasks today's government has taken on for itself.

100 years ago, the NSA, FBI, and CIA didn't even exist. These agencies grew by leaps and bounds after WW2, and much of what they do is outside of the public's knowledge. Even other branches and agencies in government don't really know what they're doing. It's all top secret. Presumably, there's some oversight and checks and balances in place to keep these agencies "honest," so to speak. But it might give some people cause to worry, considering the amount of damage they can do if they ever do get out of hand.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Yes, cause the left wing boogie man Koch brothers are waaaay worse than George Soros who made billions trading on currency of countries whose economies he wrecked through manipulation.
Do you understand who the Koch's are and how many organizations/think tanks they run? They are heavy insider republican establishment.
So I'll ask again, what do you hate about Soros? Post a link.

tytlyf

Not Religious
The difference with Cambridge is that they target vulnerable conservative American's with propaganda and disinformation with the hopes of fooling them. Using propaganda intentionally and understanding the mind of the conservative. Bannon, Breitbart, Rush, Fox, NRA, all do the same thing.

Modern day propagandists.
23.jpg